What books are you currently reading? Part 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What books are you currently reading? Part 2

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

What books are you currently reading? Part 2

Continuation of the thread on good books.

This is the link to the archived thread: http://www.globaljusticealliance.com...ad69/index.htm
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I'm re-reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series of Royal Navy novels, starting with Master and Commander. I'm up to Treason's Harbour now. Great stories, great characters. You feel like you're in the early 1800's when you're immersed in one.

I'm going to start reading "The Death of Ivan Ilych" for school.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I'm re-reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series of Royal Navy novels, starting with Master and Commander. I'm up to Treason's Harbour now. Great stories, great characters. You feel like you're in the early 1800's when you're immersed in one.
    Oh, yes, Aubrey/Maturin! I'm a fan of the series too. I read all 20 books over about the course of year and a half, after seeing the MaC movie in theaters.

Treason's Harbour is the book where Hart's ship blows up, right?

I liked the series so much I gave it a bit of a shout-out - I wrote Stephen Matruin as one of the doctors in the final two chapters of "OLS."

-----

I'm currently reading "Catch-22" for required summer reading. It's one crazy book... Much like the real world, I suppose, it's confusing, circular, convoluted, and shot through with sex. The flight scenes were very well done - Heller was a B-25 pilot in WWII - but the rest of the book inspires an expression much like . Complicating matters is that it's not a chronological narrative; it jumps around in time without warning. At least near the end it gets easier to understand - and a whole lot grimmer.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

I'm reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It's about the Chicago World's Fair and H. H. Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Oh, yes, Aubrey/Maturin! I'm a fan of the series too. ... I liked the series so much I gave it a bit of a shout-out - I wrote Stephen Matruin as one of the doctors in the final two chapters of "OLS."
    Oh, frackle! I was going to refer to a 'Dr. Maturin' in my story. But if it's already been done ... maybe I'll name one of the new cheerleaders Charlotte Aubrey instead.

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Oh, yes, Aubrey/Maturin! I'm a fan of the series too. ... I liked the series so much I gave it a bit of a shout-out - I wrote Stephen Matruin as one of the doctors in the final two chapters of "OLS."
    Oh, frackle! I was going to refer to a 'Dr. Maturin' in my story. But if it's already been done ...
    That still doesn't mean you couldn't, though.

...maybe I'll name one of the new cheerleaders Charlotte Aubrey instead.
    I like that. Charlotte Aubrey has a nice ring to it.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Senior Member MrDrP's Avatar
    Imperium by Robert Harris. Historically-based political intrigue set in the late Roman Republic.

Finished Treason's Harbour, started on The Last Good Season Brooklyn, the Dodgers, and their Final Pennant Race Together, by Michael Shapiro. So far the issue seems to be: did owner Walter O'Malley really want to keep the team in Brooklyn, or was he just faking it?

A Separate Peace by John Knowles for school.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who