What books are you currently reading? Part 2 - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What books are you currently reading? Part 2

After many a suggestion to read it, I finally started the Artemis Fowl series. So far, I am halfway through the first book, and enjoying it very much. Great characters, good writing style, and very humorous! One of the best books I've read this summer.

Still reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. I started it over the summer, but kind of dropped it when school started. I'll pick it up again when we start having study hall periods in school.

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar
    Actually, I'm not currently reading anything at the moment which is very odd for me. I guess I have just been getting to bed a lot earlier recently.

However, I did finish reading Chibi Vampire, Vol.5 while on break at Barnes & Noble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace

Mike_Industries
    I'm Currently Reading Controversy Creates Cash: An Auto-Biography by Eric Bischoff

It's one of the best books I have ever read. (And no, not because some of Eric's life takes place in Minnesota...)

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar
    Well, since Chibi Vampire, Vol. 6 doesn't come out for a nother three months, I'll try tackling David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. It is a thousand page novel about ... well, it looks to be about everything. I got two hundred pages into it a few years back before it finally overwhelmed me.

Since then, I have read Wallace's "short" story collection Oblivion which I thoroughly enjoyed. So, I'll see if I have what it takes to finish his magnum opus.

One thing I can relate about the novel is that it takes place sometime in the near future where the years are sponsored. Instead of being called 2007, a year is called Year of The Depend Adult Undergarment. Pretty crazy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, again. It was required for summer reading ("All My Sons;" one off a list of books [I chose Catch-22]; and "An American bestseller since 2000"). I decided if I was required to read something, it might as well have explosions, murders, high-tech gadgets, and intelligent, a**-kicking femininas. :P

If they're going to force us read something, why can't they at least choose books that would actually catch student interest, instead of ancient, longwinded, boring books with messages that are delivered with the subtlety of an anvil?

"All My Sons," despite being a play script, defied my expectations and was actually pretty good. That it revolved around WWII and airplanes made it easier to swallow. Catch-22 was an automatic, as it was WWII and airplanes, although given the, uh, adult content contained within it, I'm surprised it made a school reading list. :P
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    "Catch-22" was available in my high school library back when I was in school (all those decades ago... :P). Considering how my peers and I were already "cussing up a storm," and that we already knew the "facts of life" by the time we were freshmen, well, the language and *ahem* adult content really didn't faze us much.
    Yeah, by acting that way, we really thought we were being cool and "grown-up..."

Registered User Full Member recon228's Avatar
    I just started reading "Outrageous Conduct: Art, Ego, and the Twilight Zone Case" by Stephen Farber and Marc Green. It's a very fascinating account of the infamous Twilight Zone accident and the general egomania and arrogance that plagued the movie industry around the mid '80s.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    We'll it's not a book... on paper but might as well be. I'm reading all the details on the finaling ruling of the TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) Program final ruling that will be required by the TSA for workers that do cargo, air, and some other means of transportation. 469 pages in PDF form... so much legal terms... I think I need to go to law school to read this.