What books are you currently reading? Part 2 - Page 6
Global Justice Alliance

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What books are you currently reading? Part 2

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Just finished the TWIC Final rule .PDF and finally learned who will make the rule on when you must have this card. Its up to the COTP (Captain of the Port) Now I've got to see who that is.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Not The CrimpMaster View Post
    I finished Neuromancer, so now I'm reading Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. I read the short story version in middle school, and it was amazing, best thing I ever read. I'm really excited about the novel.
    There's a movie based on that novel starring Cliff Robertson back when he was quite young, about forty years ago. I think the movie was named "Charlie".
    IIRC, the film's title was spelled "CHARLY" (with a backwards "R") after the way the title character signed his name.
    Cliff Robertson won the "Best Actor" Oscar for his role in the film, too. (He's a good actor - I like his work.)

I remember seeing Charly after we read the story. I can't remember any specifics, but I think I thought it was good.

Smile

Just started the new Terry Pratchett novel, "Making Money". So far, well up to his usual standards of inspired lunacy.

I finished Candy, which was amazing. Now I'm reading "Jinx" by Meg Cabot.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Reading the play All My Sons for school.

The play being set right after WWII, one quote stood out particularly powerfully, especially considering I'd re-read Flags of Our Fathers a few weeks before, which was about the USMC victory at Iwo Jima and the stories of the six flagraisers.

=====

Chris (who was in command of a company in the Pacific Theater and subsequently lost all his men through enemy action): ...That's only a little thing... but... that's the kind of guys I had. They didn't die; they killed themselves for each other. I mean that exactly; a little more selfish and they'd be here today.

=====

After reading of the valor and spirit and determination of the Marines in FoOF, that's no exaggeration. Truly a band of brothers...
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Reading the play All My Sons for school.

The play being set right after WWII, one quote stood out particularly powerfully, especially considering I'd re-read Flags of Our Fathers a few weeks before, which was about the USMC victory at Iwo Jima and the stories of the six flagraisers.

=====

Chris (who was in command of a company in the Pacific Theater and subsequently lost all his men through enemy action): ...That's only a little thing... but... that's the kind of guys I had. They didn't die; they killed themselves for each other. I mean that exactly; a little more selfish and they'd be here today.

=====

After reading of the valor and spirit and determination of the Marines in FoOF, that's no exaggeration. Truly a band of brothers...
    Absolutely....Absolutely.....
    "Say the Word"

I'm starting "The Road of the Dead" by Kevin Brooks, about two brothers whose sister is murdered, and apparently they go out to find what happened.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Well, I tried reading "Battlefield Earth" for the umpteenth time (It's a great book, don't judge it by that utter crud movie) but the copy just couldn't take it and went to pieces on me.

The Kim & Ron Fundamentalist

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Argus View Post
    Well, I tried reading "Battlefield Earth" for the umpteenth time (It's a great book, don't judge it by that utter crud movie) but the copy just couldn't take it and went to pieces on me.
    Yeah, I had that problem as well - read the book too many times and it just falls to bits.

But like the good Commander says - great book, terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE movie...