The most awesome Lightning display ive ever seen
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most awesome Lightning display ive ever seen

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar

The most awesome Lightning display ive ever seen

It happend last night. Yes, I'm one of those crazy people that will be outside if I have half a chance (under an awning to stay out of the rain) But when there's a storm coming with Lightning... chances are im outside ready to watch. I dunno if its the native american blood in me that draws me to it or maybe im just crazy.... but I love it. Though last nights storm was very intense even by my standards. So I had to go inside my house and watch by a window. The sky stayed lit up for almost an hour, flashes of Lightning every couple seconds and rumbles of thunder that shook the ground. I had to capture this with the camera and around 22 minutes of recording a bolt struck so close that it made even me jump which I can never remember happening before. I upload that particular strike for viewing on youtube. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVrxaBHUhDE

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    You'd love it out in West Texas,

We get lightning storms all the time. You should see how plays in and out of the clouds as well as the strikes to the ground.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    I'm sure I would. I know Texas is known for really good storms but yet Florida is still on top when it comes to lightning from what I remember. Texas does have the tornados though... I love to see one someday from a safe distance so i can have my eyes but out like this

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    I'm sure I would. I know Texas is known for really good storms but yet Florida is still on top when it comes to lightning from what I remember. Texas does have the tornados though... I love to see one someday from a safe distance so i can have my eyes but out like this
    Florida has some awesome lightning storms! I remember being in the Florida Keys during one-it was fun to watch.

A tornado would be interesting to see, but definitely not close to me. Although tornadoes have been getting more frequent nearby lately... There are sort of "vacations" you can take, tornado chasing vacations, where you sign up with a tornado chaser and they drive around for about a week chasing storms.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I'd like to experience a good-size storm at sea sometime. Most of my cruises have been extremely calm, even crossing the North Atlantic. I like to feel the motion of the ship. It's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I'd like to experience a good-size storm at sea sometime. Most of my cruises have been extremely calm, even crossing the North Atlantic. I like to feel the motion of the ship. It's fun!
    Last year I went on an Alaskan cruise, and while crossing the Gulf of Alaska we got into a storm. Nothing major, but the waves were pretty big. You could feel the ship going side-to-side and, on occasion, back-to-front. It was funny for a bit, but it made me very sleepy.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    Last year I went on an Alaskan cruise,
    Next up: drive cross-country at hypersonic speed?

Do you remember what ship you were on? We did Alaska in 2001 aboard Infinity.

[QUOTE=campy;504]
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    Last year I went on an Alaskan cruise,
    Next up: drive cross-country at hypersonic speed?

Do you remember what ship you were on? We did Alaska in 2001 aboard [URL="http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/ship.do?shipCode=IN"][i]

I was on the Diamond Princess of the Princess Cruise lines.

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud
    Yes, I'm one of those crazy people that will be outside if I have half a chance (under an awning to stay out of the rain) But when there's a storm coming with Lightning... chances are im outside ready to watch. I dunno if its the native american blood in me that draws me to it or maybe im just crazy.... but I love it.
    We've both seen some pretty intense storms lately, then. I copy<pasted the below from ARA about a storm last Thursday evening.

...By any literary criteria, it's a wild night. Rain is pounding down in sheets; heavy, menacing, gunmetal thunderheads rip themselves apart above the rooftops, unleashing a scream of flashbulbing lightning and hell-shaking thunder as they die.

The storm moved in while I was at a robotics club build session at a friend's garage. It got dark really quickly and the wind started gusting. It had been hot and muggy about an hour previous, so at least the drop in temperature was welcome. The power flickered a few times, but didn't go out. Roughly three thunderstorm cells moved through while we worked, and a medium-sized branch came down in their backyard.

Driving home, by myself, was... an experience. I think this was my first solo in a major storm. One of the friend's family reported a tree down across the secondary neighborhood entrance where I had come in - I checked it out later, but didn't get too close because somebody had set up road flares - but finding the main entrance was no big.

The lightning was absolutely surreal. It looks a lot less... friendly from the low-slung driver's seat of a car. Suddenly the two tons of metal around you seem a lot smaller and more vulnerable than when the sun was out...

There were relatively few lone bolts - although there were a several impressive ones - but flashes with the power of a nuclear weapon lit up the clouds every few seconds like strobes. The rain was heavy and winds strong, but thankfully the drops were big enough to fall more-or-less straight down, instead of being ripped apart into a fine, blinding mist by the wind. I drove defensively, going slower than normal and giving myself a lot of stopping room. I got home OK, and then had to take of three dogs (owners on a beach trip), one of whom is terrified by storms, unfortunately.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

That is an impressive storm!

Last week I was in Boston, and a storm came in quite suddenly. My family had parked on the top floor of a parking garage across the street from Quincy Market, and we were up there about to leave when a lone bolt struck about a mile away (I wonder if it struck a building...). We drove to Cape Cod, and the storm seemed to follow us there, and lasted well into the night.

In June a severe storm struck my area. My best friend was outside when a huge lightning bolt hit the house across the street from hers and set it on fire. That house is now destroyed.

Lightning is a very powerful thing...