Auto Body experts around?
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Body experts around?

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar

Auto Body experts around?

I'm looking for some advice. I have only a rear license plate on my car, so I removed the front bracket, which was loose anyway because the screw threads couldn't get a good grip in the plastic bumper. So now I'm left with two unsightly holes in my bumper. Does anyone know an inexpensive, not-ugly way to cover those up?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    They do make some sort of plastic filler sort of stuff that they can use on minor damage to plastic auto body parts. It would fill the holes, just like Bondo would fill holes in standard metal auto bodies. The problem still is that you have to sand it down, then paint it to match. So, there's no easy solution. But that's if you don't plan on putting the license plate back on. otherwise, you could talk to your local autobady shop and see if they have the stuff and use just enough to fill the holes in, then redrill them so that the screws will hold.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I'm looking for some advice. I have only a rear license plate on my car, so I removed the front bracket, which was loose anyway because the screw threads couldn't get a good grip in the plastic bumper. So now I'm left with two unsightly holes in my bumper. Does anyone know an inexpensive, not-ugly way to cover those up?
    You could look for bumper plugs like those sold here. I think it's $25 for a pair. If you look around you might find something cheaper.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    You could look for bumper plugs like those sold here. I think it's $25 for a pair. If you look around you might find something cheaper.
    You know, I'll bet you can find something comparable to those - but cheaper - at your local auto parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    You could look for bumper plugs like those sold here. I think it's $25 for a pair.
    You know, I'll bet you can find something comparable to those - but cheaper - at your local auto parts store.
    You'd think that, but I asked my question at two different auto parts stores yesterday and nobody had any answer beyond "put the front bracket back on."

Thanks for the link, canuck31003.

You're welcome.

I wish my state didn't require front plates. Oh well.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

I wish my state didn't require front plates. Oh well.
    Massachusetts actually started issuing two red 'Spirit of America' plates about ten years ago, but doesn't make people with the old green plates switch if they're in good condition, as mine is. I hope I don't buy these plugs and then they suddenly decide to make me go red.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Thankfully, Texas doesn't require a front plate, although I have them on both of my vehicles.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    You could look for bumper plugs like those sold here. I think it's $25 for a pair.
    You'd think that, but I asked my question at two different auto parts stores yesterday and nobody had any answer beyond "put the front bracket back on."
    Well... I tried. Sorry to hear that. You'd think auto parts stores would have bumper plugs available, especially in states that don't require front plates.
    Here in Illinois, we have front and back plates. I don't mind that; it's just the annual fee for regular license plates jumped a few years ago from $35 to $78 a year. Man, that ticks me off...
    And they wonder why I can't save any money lately??:

Here in Illinois, we have front and back plates. I don't mind that; it's just the annual fee for regular license plates jumped a few years ago from $35 to $78 a year. Man, that ticks me off...
    And they wonder why I can't save any money lately??:
    Wow, that even beats Massachusetts. We pay $73 per year on one car, but that's because it has vanity plates. The other is $41 for two years. Of course, they also soak us with an annual excise tax on top of the fee.