Is it just me or has the weather channel lost it? - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or has the weather channel lost it?

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    ...what they're doing is similar to determining an entire two hour movie plot from a single frame shot...
    It's the radical K/R shippers in disguise! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! :P
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    ...what they're doing is similar to determining an entire two hour movie plot from a single frame shot...
    It's the radical K/R shippers in disguise! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! :P
    Hey!! I resemble that remark!!!
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I don't think it's politics that's fueling the "global warming" stories on Weather Channel as much as it's the increasing number of scientists who are beginning to take the concept seriously. Let's face it; we humans have affected the Earth's environment over the last two or three centuries by pouring all those chemicals into our land, seas, and atmosphere. Sure, we've made some good progress in educating the public and beginning our clean-up efforts since the first Earth Day back in 1970, but we still have a long way to go. Maybe all the stories about global warning are alarmist, but, IMHO, it's better to use a worst-case scenario to spark environmental action than to be apathetic and do nothing about the problem. Taking the latter approach would certainly guarantee that we'd awaken to realize we had a problem only when it was far too late to do anything about it.
    But yes, I agree they've got too many "special features" on a cable channel originally meant to give us the weather forecast. Perhaps it's time the Weather Channel got back to basics, and left the "Storm Stories" and global warming shows to the Discovery Channel or the Science Channel.

Mike_Industries
    Just wait! I heard disney has got a movie Starring Mickey, Donald, and Goofy called It's a hot world after all...

lol

I just had too, nobody else did...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Industries View Post
    Just wait! I heard disney has got a movie Starring Mickey, Donald, and Goofy called It's a hot world after all...

lol

I just had to, nobody else did...

And they're all wearing sunglasses, Hawaiian shirts, Bermuda shorts, wide-brimmed hats, and plenty of sunscreen...
    (See, Mike? I'm just as bad as you are! )
    EDIT: You know, I think I was singing that song the last time I put the air-conditioning on in my car... :P

Mike_Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Industries View Post

lol

I just had to, nobody else did...

And they're all wearing sunglasses, Hawaiian shirts, Bermuda shorts, wide-brimmed hats, and plenty of sunscreen...
    (See, Mike? I'm just as bad as you are! )
    EDIT: You know, I think I was singing that song the last time I put the air-conditioning on in my car... :P
    There,my friends of GJA, is a true disney fan. You sing that song even when you have no idea other people think of it too. It really is a small world!

Global warming? Aw, am I gonna have to build another bomb shelter? I'm still recovering financially from the ones I built when I heard about SARS/mad cow/bird flu.

If you're going to read anything about global warming, make it this.

Mike_Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by Not The CrimpMaster View Post
    Global warming? Aw, am I gonna have to build another bomb shelter? I'm still recovering financially from the ones I built when I heard about SARS/mad cow/bird flu.
    Y'all remember Y2K? I think my grandpa still has got his shelter with water bottles galore in it. I laugh at him still for him freaking out like he did.

I've heard that theory about global warming being part of a natural "heating-cooling cycle" of Earth, fueled by the sun, elsewhere. It's an interesting concept, and makes sense when you think about it. But I really don't think Al Gore and those others are "trying to punish the Western democracies for being richer than the rest of the world." I think that's more of a personal attack on them for believing in global warming than a description of their true motives. Have they examined those other studies Orson Scott Card cites in that Meridian Magazine article? Do they even know said studies exist? IMHO, there's no place in an honest debate for personal attacks or conspiracy theories. Such tactics only weaken the arguments of those who utilize them, driving people away from their cause.
    Anyway, I personally feel that, whether or not our pollution is actually contributing to global warming, it's still a good idea to work on reducing the levels of pollutants we're dumping in our environment. It'll give us a cleaner Earth in the future.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Oh I agree that our tehcnology and our pollution of the earth is a real problem, and has it affected the temperature rise of the planet. I think they have some good evidence for that. I also fairly sure they haven't seen the whole picture either. Sure, they should be concerned. I just think they may be crying wolf a little too early.
    "Say the Word"