Is it just me or has the weather channel lost it? - Page 3
Global Justice Alliance

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Is it just me or has the weather channel lost it?

  1. #21
    Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake,Va
    Posts
    1,437
    Ok, Here's my question. How much extra would you be willing to spend to "go green"? Would you give up an SUV/Truck if you had one? Would you buy a hybrid? Would you install solar panels on your houses roof?

  2. #22
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    8,446
    What's interesting is that the greenest automobiles you can get aren't even available in 42 of the 50 states, only those states with the strictest emissions laws, like California. And it's not the car companies' fault. It's the government ordering them not to sell them in those states.

    http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4024974

    Try that one on for size!
    "Say the Word"

  3. #23
    Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake,Va
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    What's interesting is that the greenest automobiles you can get aren't even available in 42 of the 50 states, only those states with the strictest emissions laws, like California. And it's not the car companies' fault. It's the government ordering them not to sell them in those states.

    http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4024974

    Try that one on for size!
    Yeah, but dont forget about the fuel. We dont have one gas station that does the E85 Ethanol. Infact there is talk about building an Ethanol refinery plant in our area and people liked to have had a fit... oh it stink and that. Have you ever drove though a city/town that had a weird smell to it? yea, after a while people that live there don't even notice the smell. I know theres a paper mill about 70 mile out where i live some where on RT. 58 and boy you wanna talk about a bad smell... but the people that live there dont even notice it. Go figure.

  4. #24
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    8,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    Yeah, but dont forget about the fuel. We dont have one gas station that does the E85 Ethanol. Infact there is talk about building an Ethanol refinery plant in our area and people liked to have had a fit... oh it stink and that. Have you ever drove though a city/town that had a weird smell to it? yea, after a while people that live there don't even notice the smell. I know theres a paper mill about 70 mile out where i live some where on RT. 58 and boy you wanna talk about a bad smell... but the people that live there dont even notice it. Go figure.
    True, when I went to school in Galveston, I knew all about that. Texas City is right across the bay has one of the largest collection of oil refineries in the nation there. You knew exactly where you were every time you drove through the area just from the smell.

    We have some of the E85 stuff down here in Texas. Go figure.
    "Say the Word"

  5. #25
    Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake,Va
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    We have some of the E85 stuff down here in Texas. Go figure.
    I know and remeber seeing thing about the government offering tax breaks to those that open the stations to sell E85 but if 99% of the cars out on the road don't/can't use it... then how long do you expect them to stay in business? Oil companys buy out anything that stands a chance in cutting into there just absolutely ridiculous profits that get get... 8-10 billion dollars in a year or quarter or whatever it was. The government gets there cuts so they really dont care as much as they should. Have you ever read how much tax is taken per gallon on gas? the results may shock some that dont know.

  6. #26
    Registered User Senior Member cpneb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    We have some of the E85 stuff down here in Texas. Go figure.
    I know and remeber seeing thing about the government offering tax breaks to those that open the stations to sell E85 but if 99% of the cars out on the road don't/can't use it... then how long do you expect them to stay in business? Oil companys buy out anything that stands a chance in cutting into there just absolutely ridiculous profits that get get... 8-10 billion dollars in a year or quarter or whatever it was. The government gets there cuts so they really dont care as much as they should. Have you ever read how much tax is taken per gallon on gas? the results may shock some that dont know.
    <on soapbox>
    Let's see: what to touch on, first.

    In Texas, the politicians, in their infinite wisdom (and, to protect their own chances of re-election), moved the gasoline tax, already lower in the state than most states, into the general funds. The result? no funds for road maintenance or construction, resulting in toll roads being built as the only way to meet the traffic needs of the large metropolitian areas: go figure.

    Who gets the gas taxes? I seem to recall that a small percentage goes to the Federal government, some to the state, and some to the county/regional/parish governments for road maintenance. Considering the number of vehicles on the road, it's a smal price to pay, IMHO.

    How best to pay for road construction and maintenance? Lots of opinions, and it's always 'not me' and 'let the other guy pay' as the answers. Well, Pogo was right: "We have met the Enemy, and They is Us."

    Let's fix the schools and the roads, and we'll have a repair template to tackle the big issues. The process is the same, only the problem is different. If we don't fix anything because we're talking about it all the time, nothing gets fixed.

    <soapbox, down>

  7. #27
    My school makes/uses biodiesel from used vegetable oil in our buses, made with a FuelMeister. Of course, we only have 2 regular sized buses and a short bus (for trips). Apparently they smell like French fries, though I don't ride the bus so I haven't smelled them.

  8. #28
    Registered User Senior Member cpneb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    443

    Fries remind me of school: RUN AWAY FROM BUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by AinoMinako View Post
    My school makes/uses biodiesel from used vegetable oil in our buses, made with a FuelMeister. Of course, we only have 2 regular sized buses and a short bus (for trips). Apparently they smell like French fries, though I don't ride the bus so I haven't smelled them.
    It's also an appetite suppressant: when you smell fries cooking now, yo'll think about school and avoid them like the Plague!

    never considered that, did you?

  9. #29
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,623
    I saw an electric car (experimental, of course) on an episode of the Discovery Channel's four-part "Future Car" mini-series. That car can accelerate faster than a Porsche, yet runs on batteries. Unfortunately, it only has a range of 300 miles fully charged. In other words, it'd be great for the daily commute bween work and home, but one would have to get either a gas-powered car or a hybrid for long road trips.
    *Sigh* But boy, it'd sure be nice not to have to worry about gas prices...

  10. #30
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,623
    Quote Originally Posted by cpneb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AinoMinako View Post
    My school makes/uses biodiesel from used vegetable oil in our buses, made with a FuelMeister. Of course, we only have 2 regular sized buses and a short bus (for trips). Apparently they smell like French fries, though I don't ride the bus so I haven't smelled them.
    It's also an appetite suppressant: when you smell fries cooking now, yo'll think about school and avoid them like the Plague!

    never considered that, did you?
    Either that, or it'll make you hungry! :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •