RS.net chat with Steve Loter during the Finale - questions and answers
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS.net chat with Steve Loter during the Finale - questions and answers

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

RS.net chat with Steve Loter during the Finale - questions and answers

I looked over the chat that Steve Loter did over at RS.net and picked out the questions and answers he gave. These are listed below:

[20:58] captainkodak1: big question do Kim and Ron go to school together?
    [20:58] Steve: Yes, they go to College together. No doubt.

[21:05] Bobman32x: but what drew you guys to choose stephen silver as the character model designer?
    [21:06] Steve: Chris Bailey could answer that best, but he was the character designer on our previous series, Clerks. It made sense.

[21:07] nabusan: I'd like to enquire what the extra budget was used on in the finale.
    [21:07] Steve: Not much extra budget on the finale. Some money went to the song and cgi, but not much.

[21:08] nabusan: will the song, 'this is our year' be available to download or to purchase?
    [21:08] Steve: Not sure. Makes sense.21:09] Steve: The demo of 'This is Our Year' was so good and polished, I thought it was the final version for a long time. Really good.

CLOUD'S QUESTION: would the lorwardian been defeated the same way if the scene where kim went to college taken place?
    [21:13] Steve: The college ending was at the very end of the episode after the fight sequence.

[21:15] DDhearst: Hey! just wanted to thank Steve and andy for this amazing show, and I wanted to ask 1- since kim applied to colleged all over the world, where does she end up? 2- does drakken keep the flower power forever? and 3- what make you decide to go the Drakken/Shego route in the end?
    [21:16] Steve: 1- Probably Upstate New York. It's what the rough storyboard bg's looked like. 2-Yes 3-fans wanted it.
    [21:20] Steve: Yep, I think they are a dysfunctional couple.

[21:20] Dracko19: Steve, I LOVED this ending. I was crying when Ron went all Monkey and won in the end. I saw LOTS of references in the final to many things fans "ship" (Drakken/Shego, Shego/Kim, Ron going Monkey and dominating, etc..) Did you design this final as sort of a tribute to all the fan worshiping out there? Did the fandom play into the final design of this ep?
    [21:20] Steve: Absolutely.

[21:22] J: So why no Joss in the finale?
    [21:23] Steve: We had ALOT of characters to service in the ending. Joss's story was told.

[21:28] kmack: Hmmm....If given the opportunity would you have continued with KP into the forseeable future?
    [21:28] Steve: Yep, but I needed a break.

[21:30] kpfan72491: yeah if u were to use the ending u posted on your sitewhat college would have KIm gone to?[21:39]
    [21:30] Steve: Some nice college. Didnt go to college so I don't really know.

[21:33] lord_victorino: Great Finale. It was more than I hoped for. Who's idea was it for the Ron vs. Aliens battle? Was Ron the Great Blue? Is it just me or did the symbol of the Yono seem simular to the Aliens symbol?
    [21:34] Steve: Well, I designed the symbol so the similarity was not intended. Ron was not intended to be the 'Great Blue' but someone earlier mentioned that and I really dig it. Ron Vs. Aliens came very late in the game. Just for trivia sake- one of 3 of us was not very excited about doing it!
    Luna1993: 3. Is that now real the end? Or sometime still does another surprisefilm come?
    [21:40] Steve: I really think this is the end of KP.

[21:41] MGFanJay: Steve, I?ve enjoyed your work since I first saw it on the Clerks cartoon, and I?m wondering just how involved were you as a producer on the show? Did you have a hand in the writing of any episodes, or any input in how the stories played out?
    [21:42] Steve: I didnt have a hand in writing the scripts, but once it gets to me to actually visualize the story, things change.

[21:43] DP: What were his exact words?
    [21:43] nabusan: well 'it's what the fans wanted' -
    [21:43] DP: but did he say that they're a couple?
    [21:43] Steve: Well, some of the fans.

[21:43] Mickey: Yes. I swear I saw Loter or Swenlin say that Drakken and Shego would never be canon. What caused the change?
    [21:44] Steve: It was done by Mark, Bob and I at the last minute.

[21:44] daywalkr82: I must say the Venomous Tentacula seemed to think they belonged together
    [21:44] Steve: Oh, theyre dating. Trust me.
    [21:45] Steve: We thought it was funny and we knew some people really wanted it.

[21:46] MrPotty: At first I wanna thank you for this show. It really changed my life, especially because I even met my wonderful fiancee Alicia at rs.net, which would have of course never happened without KP. I haven't seen "Graduation" yet, but I've been told that Ron Perlman, one of my favourite actors, is the voice of the villain. Can you tell me something about the work with him?
    [21:47] Steve: He is a very big man. He was difficult to schedule because of Hellboy 2. Very nice.

[21:49] Ninnik: Have Drakken and Shego given up on evil? Did you only make D/S a couple because of the fans, or because you also liked the idea? Why did Shego leave Drakken in jail?
    [21:50] Steve: Well, we liked the idea. I think Drakken will still be evil, but in a more annoying way.
    [21:51] Steve: Shego left DRakken in jail because she had it with him.

[21:50] nabusan: And I would also like to ask, on behalf of a member who has PM'd me before leaving: Are Felix and Zita a couple?
    [21:52] Steve: Felix and Zita are a couple.

[21:58] Rocket: Steve Loter, is it pronounced Warhok or Warhawk? And did Warmonga and him die after crashing into the space ship? Who's idea was it to have Frugal Lucre cheering with that big hand thing?
    [21:58] Steve: Warhok
    [21:59] Steve: The foam hand I think was my idea.
    [22:00] Steve: Well, it's like a cartoon death. It's just pencil and paint!

22:03] SlickNickShady: I just would like to say thank you to Steve, Bob, Mark, Brian, Kurt, Andy, and Everybody involved with Kim Possible. Anway i have been racking my brain for a question to ask that has not been asked, The College Sitch has been answered and the D/S stuff has been answered. So my question is to Steve.......In any of the alternate endings was it explained what the Possibles were going to do for there living situation or was that just ne
    [22:03] Steve: Well, Ron and Kim go to college together and Drakken and Shego date. That's my take on it.
    [22:04] Steve: Ha! No, they didnt.

[22:05] Zoza: Thanks for making Draken and Shego a couple. Since you already answered the questions on their relationship, I'll ask something different. Did DNAmy dig up Monkey Fist?
    [22:06] Steve: Yep, she did!

[22:06] Yume: How will Drakken deal with his flower powers? I mean, is the "pansy/marigold" going to keep popping up randomly, and like, how does it work in general? I bet that's going to be awkward for him and Shego. LOL.
    [22:06] Yume: why Shego and Drakken started working again after the whole MDAA thing?
    [22:07] Steve: Well, we honestly didnt think past the finale.
    [22:08] Steve: OH! Well, you know how couples just stay together even though they shouldnt...

[22:09] Avenger: "Just for trivia sake- one of 3 of us was not very excited about doing it!" Ha ha! I was not very excited about it either. Without revealing their identity, why was that one person not excited about Ron vs the Aliens?
    [22:10] Steve: Well, it was taking a big step and one of us wanted to keep the monkey powers low key.

[22:19] morefood2001: I want to know. were MDAA and Graduation orrignally planned to go together like they did, or did one end up growing ut of the other
    [22:20] Steve: I think there was some intention to connect them.

[22:22] Darth_Comrade: What do you find most enjoyable about directing Kim Possible?
    [22:23] Steve: I loved working on KP because of the characters. I also really liked the crew.

[22:24] Darth_Comrade: my 2nd question- IF a fifth season was given the green light, how would you try to make it better than the fourth?
    [22:25] Steve: A VERY long break! I would love to fast-forward to the adult years.

[22:25] Darth_Comrade: If a live action KP movie was to be done, what would you find most challenging about directing it?
    [22:26] Steve: It would be challenging because they probably wouldnt let me do it!

[22:26] morefood2001: Steve, between animation and live action KP, which would you prefer personally?
    [22:27] Steve: It's not right for live action.

[22:29] daywalkr82: Mr. Loter, when did you find out about the 4th season and how much time did you have to think up new sitches for Kim and Ron?
    [22:30] Steve: Well, I was comitted to American Dragon at that point, so it was pretty difficult.

[22:32] Dipstick: Alright. Whenever Shego's been irritating Drakken has it been like maybe a small boy in kindergarten pulling a girls hair because he likes her. As in does the "you annoy the ones you love" statement apply?
    [22:34] Steve: Well, I don't think they liked eachother at first. Poor Drakken should know not to have an office relationship!

22:36] mangafan: Hey, would you VIPs say that the finale or StD was much more of a challenge to make?
    [22:37] Steve: STD was hard, but we had the budget for it. For the 2nd part of Graduation, we did a lot of it very late in the game.

[22:38] Rocket: [03:58] <Rocket> Steve Loter, is it pronounced Warhok or Warhawk? And did Warmonga and him die after crashing into the space ship?
    [22:38] Rocket: [03:58] <Steve> Warhok
    [22:39] Rocket: [03:58] <Steve> Yes

[22:42] Jinxs_: Question what character was you personal favourites Steve ? and thank you for advance for the show
    [22:43] Steve: I really liked Ron.

[22:43] daywalkr82: Mr. Loter, how many unused ideas were there for Hana?
    [22:43] Steve: I dont think there was any unused ideas for Hana

[22:44] J: it has been theorized that when Ron goes mystical, he becomes blue because he is a being of pure evil, like Drakken. Yet we know from Exchange Ron has a pure heart. Care to comment on this?
    [22:45] Steve: No connection to evil at all. I just liked the color.

[22:45] Mickey: haha Steve. I love your reason for severeal questions. "I just wanted to"
    [22:45] Steve: It's the creative license thing. Gets you out of alot.

[22:54] Dracko19: Kimron asked what Monique's last name was?
    [22:55] Steve: Oh! That's a Mark or Bob question, but I don't think they made one.

[22:55] Dracko19: And speaking of names, what is Mrs. Dr. P's first ?
    [22:55] Steve: Anne

[22:57] mangafan: How long would you say it will take to rebuild Kim's house?
    [22:57] Steve: That's a Mark and Bob question.
    [22:58] Steve: Well, if Jim and Tim used LOwardian technology, pretty quick

[22:57] Zozatechproblems: Do you ever have time and read other sections in RS.net besides the VIP section? Ever read the Villains section? General KP, Etc.
    [22:58] Steve: Sometimes I see other sections on RS.net. Not often, though.

[22:58] Kpfan1: Hi. Why was the wrist kimmunicator never writen in like kims other new stuff? whos idea was it to replace the old one with the wrist one? and who came up with the index card bit on clean slate?
    [22:59] Steve: My idea for new kimunicator. The index card thing was either Mark or Bob's or the writer.

[22:59] lord_victorino: Oh! Good! Just before the Finale Airs here on the West Coast. A couple of questions and some comments. I think someone asked this, but did not remember seeing a reply. Who and how did Monkey Fist get dug up? And how did DNAmy get changed back from a Gorilla Fist to human again? IMO. I think that the Ron vs. Aliens Battle Idea make the whole Finale. I just can't see it happening any other way. I also Loved the light hearted ending.
    [23:00] Steve: Making Monkeyfist a statue at the end was a last minute thing. He was originally normal. DNA 'changed' because I didnt remember Gorillafist!

[23:02] mangafan: Whose idea was it to use a HSAM song in the finale?
    [23:03] Steve: I don't remember whose idea, but I know every day it was either HSM or ours.

[23:04] Nami: If you had the chance to fast foward them into the future, what would Kim and Ron's jobs be?
    [23:04] Steve: KIm and Ron would work with Global Justice.

[23:05] Mickey: 2) Steve, you said earlier if you did a 5th season, you'd want to skip a few years ahead. appromiately how many years would you skip and why?
    [23:05] Steve: Kim in early 20's.
    [23:06] Steve: Like esurance! ")

[23:07] morefood2001: [23:00] Rocket: Steve: If Disney was to make a spin-off for Hana Stoppable, that played ~12 years later. Would you and some others of the crew return to work on it? What's your general thoughts of a spin-off?
    [23:07] Steve: I'd want to work on any spin off. I really don't think anything will ever happen though.

[23:09] pibby: First off, let me congratulate you on a fantastic season. KP has helped me through a lot. It was an amazing show. It will be missed (at least until we get it back. after your break of course). Well, onto the questions. From a personal standpoint, what was your favorite new villain in season 4 to create? Also...
    [23:09] Steve: Warhok was alot of fun

[23:09] pibby: Was it a conscious effort or just a coincidence that this season was much more story driven than in the past, with plots that ran through a number of episodes instead of ending in each episode as they did in seasons 1-3?
    [23:10] Steve: We wanted to cover alot of ground and it required it to be a story driven season.

[23:10] sitchit: Why were all the villians at the award ceremony, did Shego and Drakken invite them so they could gloat? Also, why the lack of Mama Lipsky? Thanks
    [23:11] Steve: I forgot to add Mama Lipsky. They were there because they were invited. They were not happy about Drakken being a superstar.

23:12] Ninnik: Okay, I guess I'm wondering what you meant when you said that Drakken will be evil, only in a more annoying way?
    [23:12] Steve: Small little evil issues, not take over the world stuff.

[23:12] Ninnik: So he's giving up on that?
    [23:13] Steve: I honestly didnt think past the ending!

[23:12] LordNakagwa: Why did you add Han to the cast? (I like her - just wondering if you all had a reason)
    [23:13] Steve: I think the Channel wanted Hana. I'm not sure.

[23:13] Yume: Was Bonnie ending up with Junior something decided on at the last minute, like D/S? And will Monkey Fist ever be un-stoned? xD
    [23:14] Steve: No, the Bonnie/Junior thing was pretty early.
    [23:14] Steve: Well, if we dont make more, MF will never be un-stoned!

[23:14] Zoza: How old would you say Shego is about? Late 20s? Just wondering because some people thought she was too young for Dr. D (not me though)
    [23:15] Steve: Mid 20's

[23:15] ABL: 1. Where was Joss in the Finale? I mean, Slim was there, but where as she?
    [23:15] ABL: 2. If you could design KP boxsets, what special features would you include?
    [23:15] ABL: 3. When you came on to work on KP did you ever expect it to have the effect that it has on so many people? Do you know if Bob and Mark realized this?
    [23:16] Steve: I think I answered Joss. 2- Animatics 3- No, I already really miss it.

[23:17] MGFanJay: Which season 4 episode was the most taxing to work on?
    [23:18] Steve: Hardest season 4 ep was Grad Part 2

[23:17] Bobman32x: what other shows did you take into inspiration in making KP?
    [23:17] Steve: (I Like Buffy)

[23:18] Bobman32x: Is there any chance you would be able to release the other 2 endings?
    [23:19] Steve: Unlikely about the other endings

[23:19] Rocket_: Will you miss working on Kim Possible? Will you miss the crew members?
    [23:20] Steve: I meet a bunch of the crew for lunch every Wednsday.

[23:17] Kimron: Why did Monique have so little screen time in the finale?
    [23:21] Steve: Monique didnt have as much screen time in the finale because we had a lot of characters to service.

Some more insight into the mind of the Director himself.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    I'm somewhat... dissatisfied? Disillusioned? Annoyed? (I can't find the right term; they're too harsh)... about some of the replies. "Creative license" got leaned on quite a bit. And I didn't expect so much to be covered under "didn't think about it" or "it was at the last minute." I was surprised by how much "the fandom" (or at least RS.net) influenced the D/S thing. MSB had always been pretty adamant that it wasn't going to happen.

[23:05] Mickey: 2) Steve, you said earlier if you did a 5th season, you'd want to skip a few years ahead. approximately how many years would you skip and why?
    [23:05] Steve: Kim in early 20's.
    [23:06] Steve: Like esurance! ")

[23:17] Bobman32x: what other shows did you take into inspiration in making KP?
    [23:17] Steve: (I Like Buffy)
    So maybe my hunch was right, and there *was* something to that "It was a Tuesday..." quote. Now I've got chat questions!

[23:18] Bobman32x: Is there any chance you would be able to release the other 2 endings?
    [23:19] Steve: Unlikely about the other endings
    DVD material.... :whistle:

[23:14] Zoza: How old would you say Shego is about? Late 20s? Just wondering because some people thought she was too young for Dr. D (not me though)
    [23:15] Steve: Mid 20's

Yes! Knew it!

[21:28] kmack: Hmmm....If given the opportunity would you have continued with KP into the foreseeable future?
    [21:28] Steve: Yep, but I needed a break.
    Sounds, at least, somewhat promising.

After all, they took a nice break between "So the Drama" and S4, and dang, what an improvement!

[23:17] Kimron: Why did Monique have so little screen time in the finale?
    [23:21] Steve: Monique didn’t have as much screen time in the finale because we had a lot of characters to service.
    I'm trying very hard not to think too deeply about that sentence.... Yerghn... Too late... :P
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    I looked over the chat that Steve Loter did over at RS.net and picked out the questions and answers he gave. These are listed below:

[21:15] DDhearst: Hey! just wanted to thank Steve and andy for this amazing show, and I wanted to ask 1- since kim applied to colleged all over the world, where does she end up? [...]
    [21:16] Steve: 1- Probably Upstate New York. It's what the rough storyboard bg's looked like.
    Hamilton! That's where my older daughter went. She's class of '03.

They put out a nice calendar. :P

Concerned about D/S? I started thinking about how much fan service KP can suffer when the Shego/Kim mud fight came along to knock its head into my consciousness.
    It's okay, I can live with it. Both of them. And a lot of other things, too.

Registered User Senior Member MrDrP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post

[21:15] DDhearst: Hey! just wanted to thank Steve and andy for this amazing show, and I wanted to ask 1- since kim applied to colleged all over the world, where does she end up? [...]
    [21:16] Steve: 1- Probably Upstate New York. It's what the rough storyboard bg's looked like.
    Hamilton! That's where my older daughter went. She's class of '03.

They put out a nice calendar. :P
    No, Kim and Ron don't go to Hamilton (a fine school, though). They go to SPOILER, or at least they will in "Commencement." I've already got it all plotted out.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    On D/S, I actually can see it happening. There is a way to make that work between the two characters and keep it on the show where it would be as funny as their previous employer/employee relationship. Think of how all of their interactions before. Those interactions actually would not change hardly at all, really. That's the beauty of it. when I write the Fan Fic for this, I can see it happening.
    "Say the Word"

Not every working relationship is driven by friendly atmosphere and gushy harmony.

That's a cool Q&A! I like the questions.

And i thought Shego was older...
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

What were the alternate endings mentioned above? Going to college, and...?
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    The alternate endings referred to here are nothing more than three storyboards Steve Loter posted photos of on his blog, "So the Finale." They consist of:
    A) Two drawings of Kim riding in her parents' car on her way to college. The first, a long shot of the car, shows Mom & Dad Possible riding up front and Kim in back with Kim's luggage tied to the car's roof; and the second drawing is a close-up of Kim's face showing her anxiety as she leaves home for college.
    And, B) A shot of the entrance to a college campus (the sign on the gate's arch just says "University") with a sign out front (like the one in front of Middleton High) reading simply, "The End."
    Steve has this to say about these:
    There was extensive re-writing all the way through the process including the final days of animatic. We had, at least, three alternate endings that were fully storyboarded and recorded. In fact, the 'big' moment at the end was conceived at the last minute.
    By recorded, I assume he means voice recording of dialogue and sound effects added to video shots of the storyboards mentioned above. I don't think they did any finished animation like the deleted cafeteria scene from "So the Drama." (You know, where Kim says "...Bonnie's not take-over-the-world evil, she's just high-school evil.")
    I'm not sure these will end up as bonus features in any potential future DVD, due to their unfinished nature. I could be wrong, however.