Couple flees fire, take pets but forget boy
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple flees fire, take pets but forget boy

Couple flees fire, take pets but forget boy

Wow, just... wow.

BEAVER COUNTY, Pa. -- "...Crystal Adams, 31, and James Chandler, 33, are accused of reckless endangerment, because police say the two grabbed their pet dogs and fled the fire at Center Manor Court but left Chandler's young son behind on Friday night.

The 4-year-old boy was treated for smoke inhalation after a firefighter ran inside and pulled him out, township Fire Chief Bill Brucker said.
    Adblock

Police said the firefighters learned that the boy was still inside the burning mobile home about 20 minutes after Chandler and Adams had already gotten out, when the two allegedly told firefighters that they had forgotten the child.

"They were asked numerous times by law enforcement -- I overheard at least once or twice -- 'Is there anyone else in these trailers?' Brucker told WTAE Channel 4's Sheldon Ingram.

The boy was conscious when a firefighter found him in a bedroom, Brucker said.

"You tuck your kid in bed, you should remember that he's still in there," Brucker said." --WTAE
    I'm glad the boy survived and is okay.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    It's truly sad.... but if you think that's bad, here's one that is even worse!

BATAVIA, Ohio - No charges will be filed against a middle school administrator whose toddler daughter died last month when she was left in the back seat of her mother's SUV during a heat wave, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Leaving the child in the car for the work day was "a substantial lapse of due care" but did not meet the definition of reckless conduct necessary for prosecution, said Clermont County Prosecutor Don White.

Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby, 40, is assistant principal at Glen Este Middle School, about 20 miles east of Cincinnati. Authorities said she left her 2-year-old daughter, Cecilia, strapped into a car seat for about eight hours on Aug. 23 while she was at work at the school.

Temperatures outside reached about 100 degrees.

This child wasn't as lucky... Poor kid.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    There are some people who probably should never be parents.........

Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done about it. The problem with this last one is that the law was not structured well enough to charge the mother with a crime. But it is nonetheless inexcusable.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    There are some people who probably should never be parents.........
    Amen to that! Most of these people arn't even fit to take care of a rat.... let alone another human being.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    I would suggest criminalizing stupidity, but that will probably have to wait until we have something like a lunar colony, ti's going to require a lot of space to put all the additional convicts in. Plus it's going to be administratively difficult since all the politicians will be in the slam....

I shouldn't make light of this, this is astonishingly irresponisble, particularly for someone tasked with supervising students. I cannot fathom leaving a child in a car this way, regardless of whether it is safe or not, kids die in cars this way every year, especially in the hot parts of the country. One would think an assistant principal could afford day car if bringing the child into the building was not an option. In August school should not yet have been in session, so bringing her in should not have been a problem. I mean it is a school, for, like, well, kids.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    I would suggest criminalizing stupidity, but that will probably have to wait until we have something like a lunar colony, ti's going to require a lot of space to put all the additional convicts in. Plus it's going to be administratively difficult since all the politicians will be in the slam....
    It's been a long time since exile was a viable judicial option for criminal offenses. It sure saves a lot of money from having to incarcerate people, and avoids the moral dilemmas surrounding executing them if the crime is serious enough. but there's no place to send them now (ethically and morally at least). The only way that happens now is with illegal aliens being permanently deported (and only if there's some place that will take them).
    "Say the Word"

Both stories are extremely sad. How do you just forget your child, the person that you're supposed to be caring for and loving? That just doesn't make sense to me. Saying that is like saying "I forgot my purse", which is ridiculous.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    The problem with criminalizing stupidity is that most of humanity would thus have to be incarcerated. The parents in both examples here need some serious help with their parenting skills - and I do mean some SERIOUS help.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    You've got to admit, to would certainly reduce traffic on the highways and make for much shorter lines at the grocery store....

Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    You've got to admit, to would certainly reduce traffic on the highways and make for much shorter lines at the grocery store....
    That's a thought. This year MD-VA-DC came in tied for second in the list of areas with the worst traffic congestion in the U.S. Every little bit would help. :P
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?