Favorite Quotes
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Quotes

Favorite Quotes

There's quotable quotes all over the place, and personally, I love them. So, what are your favorites?

One on my Global quiz the other day:
    "I may not agree with a word you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it." by a philosopher named Voltaire from the Enlightenment.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    There's quotable quotes all over the place, and personally, I love them. So, what are your favorites?

"I may not agree with a word you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it." by a philosopher named Voltaire from the Enlightenment.
    That is a quote I have remembered for more than forty years and still treasure.
    "Say the Word"

When I saw this thread, this is the first quote that popped in to my mind:

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."--John Donne, 1623.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    When I saw this thread, this is the first quote that popped in to my mind:

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."--John Donne, 1624.
    Well said. Also a quote I remember quite well. An excellent piece of advice, and as I recall the source of inspiration for Hemmingway's novel "For Whom the Bell Tolls."
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post

That is a quote I have remembered for more than forty years and still treasure.
    I really liked it when I read it-it's so powerful. And I was hoping I'd get the quiz back to have it, but luckily I remembered it.

Another few:
    "Intellectual faith brings you to the water, but heart-to-heart faith let's you jump in."-my old Religion teacher.

"No day but today."-Rent

"To deny yourself is to deny the truth."-Lyric from a song.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

A couple from one of my all-time favourite t.v. shows:

"To boldly go where no one has gone before."

"Make it so."
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

A personal favorite of mine.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."- George Carlin.

Uhm, in regards to a more serious quote that's a personal fave of mine...

"Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life."- Doctor David M. Burns.

And while it's from a video game, I can't help but find one quote I recently heard in Final Fantasy X to be positively uplifting and motivational.

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" Auron of Final Fantasy X.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We can't forget "I can do anything."-Kim Possible.

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    "That... would be so cool, if it wasn't gonna hurt us!"
    -Ron Stoppable

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.”
    -Ambrose Redmoon

"It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
    -FDR

"If the brute-force approach doesn't work, you're obviously not using enough brute force."
    - Me

"Is plaid a color?"

"SPARRRRTTTAAAAAAAAA!"
    (Sorry, just had to do it. :P )
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

This is one of my brother's favourites:

"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities." -Frank Lloyd Wright