My AD&D Game
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: My AD&D Game

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

My AD&D Game

Well, since Canuck asked, I'll tell you all about this and keep it going as long as there is interest. I have described the AD&D game I've played in for 28 years now on occasion. I'm going to show you some of the artwork associated with that game to give you an idea of the rich complexity that this particular game has achieved. I am going to start with one of the twelve great seals of the game. This is difficult because these things are HUGE! The original file drawings are 36" by 46" and the bmp file size is 1.8 Gbs.......yes, Gbs.... Anyway, I've converted to jpg and shrunk it down as much as I can and I am going to try and post it here:

Okay, I got it working now. This is the Imbic Seal reduced to one fifth its original size, which is a document of sorts detailing the appearance of the Imbic Disk, which is the centerpiece. The Imbic Disk is a large 10 foot diameter antimony disk with the power of Primoridalism and Primordial Magic in the AD&D world I play in. It has the power to change the world, literally. You can see various alphabet scripts both at the top, around the rim, in the middle of the disk, and at the bottom, which shows you an example of complexity of the different languages and scripts used in this game. The two Scripts in the center of the disk are classic Tolkien Elvish and Dwarvish script (Quenyan and Cirth), which have been adapted to the game, though largely unchanged. The script at the very bottom is a pictoral script, the only one in the game not associated with any phonetic sounds. The chinese looking script bordering the bottom of the disk is a different script which in this case lists the twelve great words of power, one for each of the twelve great magics in the game. This Disk literally describes the creation of the universe in this AD&D world. The center of the disk shows the "Creator", and you can see how everything flowed out from there to the creations of physical laws of the universe, the creation of the higher powers (read that as deities, if you will), the creation of the great forces, energies, and magics, followed by the creation of the divisions of the Universe into full planes, limited planes, and fragmented planes. Each of the great Magics is associated with a number which is its perfect complement. In this case, the law of twelve applies.

Every single image on this seal has a meaning with deep implications in the game, down to the individual words in each of the alphabet scripts listed.
    "Say the Word"

Okay. I finally got it working. Hope you enjoy it.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    You've been playing for 28 years? Cousin Larry and Todd from Code Monkeys would be very impressed...

... that's one pretty big disk. So, it's kinda like the Infinity Gauntlet, then? Except that it's less portable, for one thing.

I did play the Marvel Super Heroes RPG Advanced edition back in the late-80s, but that's the limit of my RPG experience. (I played as Madison Jeffries/Box IV from Alpha Flight. Still one of my favorite characters from that era...)

Yep. 28 years. Same AD&D world. Same game. Same DM. It just keeps going and going with futher adventures, more world developments. The players fly in from all over the country to play an adventure over a weekend or three days about once or twice a year. The story never ends. It just keeps building upon the past more and more. We play the original Edition One rules with Unearthed Arcana additions, as we know all of those by heart now. We never bothered with Edition Two as it truly sucked. Edition Three came out when our game was already twenty years old, and we felt no need to incorporate it. The game has gone from our being minor characters on a simple dungeon mission to clear out monsters to becoming the prime adventurers who saved the universe (or rather, we're still trying to do that.)

As to the Imbic Disk above, that's one of the simpler ones. Try the Vergastic Disk below, which details a literal map of the Universe:

"Say the Word"

Wow. Even though I have no idea what it all means, just gazing at the complexity of it all is awe-inspiring. I feel like a caveman looking at a computer motherboard. You and your friends are truly great gamers.

I've been working with the same campaign setting for a few years now, but I can tell that I have a long way to go before my universe can even hold a candle to your group's.

Amazing. My friends and I used to stick with modules, which became relatively expensive. But the way you've described it, your world blows them all away.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    Amazing. My friends and I used to stick with modules, which became relatively expensive. But the way you've described it, your world blows them all away.
    That's the advantage of having a DM who spends much of his leisure time simply working on his world and the game itself. He does it simply to relax, and has done it that way now for almost 40 years. These are only two of the twelve Great Seals, which are in terms of data an infiitesmally small part of the entire whole. The history of the game so far, including personal character histories (I am the historian) is close to 5000 pages of text (condensed, I might add). The official Spell Compendium including the standard classes of AD&D plus the special classes in this DM's world (Artisan, Shifter, Power Wielder, Dancer, Archer, Earth Power Wielder (Tulyurist), Telist, plus about ten others), is over 2000 pages. The atlas of maps...... I have no idea (since as a player I am not privy to them all), but there must be hundreds. it truly is mind boggling how immense it got to be over the years.

As to what the information on each of the disks means, It took us thousands of hourse and years to finally decipher the scripts and the symbols. We understand about 95% of them now, but there is still a few things on them we haven't figured out yet.
    "Say the Word"

I'm curious, how high level do you normally play individual characters? Using 2nd edition rules, my friends and I found that once reaching level 12-14 or so things became less fun/challenging.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Registered User Senior Member cpneb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    That's the advantage of having a DM who spends much of his leisure time simply working on his world and the game itself. He does it simply to relax, and has done it that way now for almost 40 years. These are only two of the twelve Great Seals, which are in terms of data an infiitesmally small part of the entire whole. The history of the game so far, including personal character histories (I am the historian) is close to 5000 pages of text (condensed, I might add). The official Spell Compendium including the standard classes of AD&D plus the special classes in this DM's world (Artisan, Shifter, Power Wielder, Dancer, Archer, Earth Power Wielder (Tulyurist), Telist, plus about ten others), is over 2000 pages. The atlas of maps...... I have no idea (since as a player I am not privy to them all), but there must be hundreds. it truly is mind boggling how immense it got to be over the years.

As to what the information on each of the disks means, It took us thousands of hourse and years to finally decipher the scripts and the symbols. We understand about 95% of them now, but there is still a few things on them we haven't figured out yet.
    jeriddian, you scare me...I go back on D&D when it first came out (yes, I'm that old) with sessions in the dorm in Sherman, Texas. Many nights, many dead characters, many ruined dungeons (ask me later about the donkey, the laxative, and the growth potion...it still brings a chuckle to my face, all these years later).

Glad to hear that you're still going. I still have my original books (sadly, not the box).

I'm curious, how high level do you normally play individual characters? Using 2nd edition rules, my friends and I found that once reaching level 12-14 or so things became less fun/challenging.
    That was one of the reasons we didn't care for 2nd edition rules. Our charcters pretty much reach their zentih at 18th level, as originally intended in 1st edition. We do have a few characters in the higher levels, but these are characters that have been steadily going on for 28 years too! Making level advances is not easy in this game. another obstacle is that every level advance takes two weeks to actually occur. So if you gained enough points to make it to the mext level on a certain day, you would actually gain the advantages of that level two weeks later game time......until you hit 16th level.

When you gain enough points to make 16th level, you have to wait six months game time to actually make that level. When you make 17th level, the interrum time is one year game time. when you make 18th level, 5 years. To make 19th level, ten years, and so on. So you see it's extremely difficult to get up to the higher levels. My paladin character has just now reached eighteenth level, and it took me seventeen years of playing real time to get her there. In addition she is multiple classed.

However, once you reach this stratosphere of level, it actually isn't that important. What's more important is what else you have done with your character. Now if you have concentrated on one class, like our super-fighter (23rd level, about 250 hp. almost impossible to take down except by the arch devils and arch demons (and similar opponents) which often get sicced on him.), you will get way up there (he's been around about the entire 28 years.). Most of our most powerful characters are multi-classed. We have the great bard at 23rd level, the grand druid at 23rd level, two mages at 20th level, two of the prophets at 19th level, and two great paladins, of which my character is one, the other is 18th level.

But we actually don't play these characters that much. They're almost NPC's when they get this powerful, so we usually play medium to small level adventures with our other lesser developed characters. But every now and then, some serious danger comes up on which the fate of the world rests (like defeating the Dark Lord....again.......even when we kill one, another seems to always spring up here and there.), then we bring out the big guns, and believe me it's no piece of cake for them either. We're always walking straight into the jaws of a black dragon delivering 200 hp's damage with each breath weapon or something equally or more deadly when we have to do this. Of course, it always a lot of fun when you can rain down a power enhanced meteor swarm on an orc army (area of effect one square mile), or see one of your big fighters whack a dragon with 150 hp's (or more) of damage in one round. We have one or two that can do that.
    "Say the Word"