The Fannie Awards Thread
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fannie Awards Thread

The Fannie Awards Thread

Yeah, I know five months away and counting, but I figured we should start an offical thread, rather then spam others with news about it. I know our Fannie award guys (MI and cpneb) will be happy to keep us up to date.

So, talk away my fellow KP fan fictioners! The countdown to the big event starts now!

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Well, I'll be very surprised if my story draws any interest this year. All I really want is a Best Line nomination for the end of chapter 11.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Yeah. I don't think any of my work will come up for mention either. Ces't La Vie.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Veteran Member Ace Ian Combat's Avatar
    I don't think that I'll even get nominated this year unless I turn out some mega-great story in the remaining months. That's going to be anti-climatic: 1 nomination the first year, 4 the second, then I'll just fade away it will appear...

My hopes are high for this year, after last year's (and I don't mean to brag) 12 nomination turn-out. Possibles is doing well, and Ron Droppable is gaining a similar popularity.

So yeah, high hopes!

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    It's never been explicitly explained, and Erased Paper tended to steer us members away from contact with it - what are the Fannies? FF.net has several threads about "who's going" and "what [they're] going to wear," so it sounds as though it were a physical gathering, but at the same time it doesnt.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    It's never been explicitly explained, and Erased Paper tended to steer us members away from contact with it - what are the Fannies? FF.net has several threads about "who's going" and "what [they're] going to wear," so it sounds as though it were a physical gathering, but at the same time it doesnt.
    The Fannie Awards are an event which was created by the Kim Possible Discussion forum that was started by Zaratan on FF.net. Zaratan, CaptainKodak1, and cpneb are the moderators of the forum. Every January, they hold a poll in which they will take nominations for the best KP FanFictions written in the past year, based very much like the Oscars. This CaptainKodak's description:

"The Fannie Awards are something that came up a couple of years ago. It's a fan operated, fan voted award. There is no real prize other than the recognition of your peers. There are several awards such as best writer, best new writer, best K/R story, and so on. Other fans place your story in nomination for an award. The story/writer with the most nominations wins."

This will be the third year they have done it. The nominations start in January and have to turned in by the end of the month. Then they tally up the votes and have a cyberparty in February to celebrate the event and announce the winners.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Senior Member cpneb's Avatar

The Fannies Explained (and, yes, ladies, a guy came up with the award name!)

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    The Fannie Awards are an event which was created by the Kim Possible Discussion forum that was started by Zaratan on FF.net. Zaratan, CaptainKodak1, and cpneb are the moderators of the forum. Every January, they hold a poll in which they will take nominations for the best KP FanFictions written in the past year, based very much like the Oscars. This CaptainKodak's description:

"The Fannie Awards are something that came up a couple of years ago. It's a fan operated, fan voted award. There is no real prize other than the recognition of your peers. There are several awards such as best writer, best new writer, best K/R story, and so on. Other fans place your story in nomination for an award. The story/writer with the most nominations wins."

This will be the third year they have done it. The nominations start in January and have to turned in by the end of the month. Then they tally up the votes and have a cyberparty in February to celebrate the event and announce the winners.
    Here's what I posted to a question from a new writer about the Fannies:
    =====
    When is this Fannie thing anyway? By the end of the calendar year?

The Fannies are the KP FanFiction Awards where the Golden Ruffie is awarded for various categories of quality writing in KP Fanfiction over the previous year.

Here's the site from last year: http://intbike.com/fannie2.html
    This has a more detailed description of the awards and the categories as well as lists of previous winners.

and, here's last year's ceremonies:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3363425/..._Fannie_Awards

Zaratan and/or his designate(s) will send the instructions and/or post them here and/or post the web site with the instructions at 'Fannie Time.'

Hope this helps....

...cpneb

(From Zaratan's post on his forum thread about the Fannies)
    The Fannie Awards Committee will start next weekend (or this coming weekend, whichever way you prefer).
    =>NOTE from cpneb: the committee began to meet this past weekend.

At this point, the new council of 5 (the announcement of the membership will be made at that point) will deliberate on all the new rule proposals, election criteria, and category suggestions. This will be finalized over the next month or so.

On January 1st, 2008, the ballots go out for the first? round of voting. At that point, there will be ONE single topic altogether in each forum taking part to make you push to recieve nominations and basically suck up to the readers.

If, after the Committee deliberates and extends to the second round system, that would start on February 1st and run until the end of the 14th. If there is no second round, the Awards ceremony would be February 16th. If there IS a second round, the awards ceremony will take place February 23rd.

This committee does not take bribes in any sense or fashion, and therefore there is no bidding for categories. However... if money were to suddenly appear on my doorstep, with a small explanation from the writer as to the most certainly innocent intent to contribute to the Keep Zaratan Writing campaign, it would be greatly... appreciated. lol
    Here is a list of the categories from last year's Fannie awards; this may or may not change for this year.

Categories

Best Writer -
    Best New Writer (started in 2006) -
    Best Story Overall
    Best Series Overall -
    Best One-shot Overall -
    Best Novel-sized Story Overall (100,000 words or more) -
    Best Comedy
    Best Romance -
    Best Action/Adventure -
    Best Drama -
    Best Crossover/Fusion -
    Best K/R Story -
    Best Kigo Story -
    Best Alternative Pairing Story (Ron/Bon, Kim/Drakken, etc.) -
    Best Original Character
    Best Minor Character (From show, but expanded upon. ie. Yori, Tara, etc.) -
    Best AU Story
    Best Original Character Name (Following the KP naming scheme)
    Best Villain
    Best Single Line

The event itself is virtual, so no one misses school or misses the event. What happens is that each writer nominated and in the top 3 (last year) had to send in an acceptance speech, and Zaratan publishes the events of the Fannies over a two-day period as a story (last year, over 30 chapters, if I remember correctly).

[(blatant promotion of the event and my writing)]Last year, I nearly had a heart attack before I learned that I was named, together with King in Yellow, as Best New Writer of 2006. From that, I've taken a responsibility to encourage new writers as I was encouraged, hoping to have a small part in the next award-winner. In all honesty, I started with a 545-word story that was published on 9.1.2006 and has blossomed into (so far) over 1/2 million words and over 20 stories in the JadeKimVerse. There's at least another 1 million words and another 20 stories to tell, at a minimum, and I can blame it all on readers like you . I've met some wonderful people and friends as a result of this single award, and I've had a great deal of fun since I started down this path. People like Twila Starla have given me ideas for stories, and people like Pharaoh Rutin Tutin (if you don't know him, he's...well, let's say unique!) have encouraged me to think outside the box.

If you have time, read and vote for your favorites: you never know who you will impact. In my case, your supportof my works has led to my starting my first fiction book, currently targeted for completion in the next 4-6 weeks, and I'm looking for a publisher to take this to Oprah, Montel, and Dr. Phil.
    [(blatant promotion of the event and my writing end)]

Hope this helps....

...cpneb

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Looks cool! (Now I'm fired up to get chapter 3 of "The After" done... Arrrgghhhh... school..... )

Is there any sort of story submission protocol, or, as in the Order of the Arrow, are stories are elected by the peers, without much drive/campagining by the submittee? Is there a cutoff date for story eligibility?
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Mike_Industries
    I do believe that the end of 2007 is the cut off date...