The Fannie Awards Thread - Page 3
Global Justice Alliance

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fannie Awards Thread

Registered User Veteran Member Ace Ian Combat's Avatar
    I think my most popular story when it was up and before they reset the stats was Turning Over a new Green Leaf. It had over 30, 000 hits, and 57 reviews. Don't know why, I look at it now on my computer and shudder. Perhaps it was just that following So the Drama the idea of Shego as a teacher at Middleton was so preposterous that people had to see where I was going with it? And look what we have two years later? Stop Team Go...

That reminds me (yes, whenever I think of Team Go I think of Twila, and that was before the chickens ); Twila, you wouldn't happen to have those PMs I sent you a while back about our plans for rewriting our stories, specifically TONGL, still? I happened to lose or misplace my copy, which is bad because it had those little tidbits about it that I need for the story to work in the rewritten version.

@cpneb: If you are really interested in promoting jeriddian and myself, could you wait until I get some stuff up for me? Most of my stuff is over a year old and needs to be rewritten.

Registered User Senior Member MrDrP's Avatar
    Since my name has been invoked, I'll offer my two cents. The majority of my stories are straight-up K/R stories build directly off the series: The Epic Sitch Series, Zorpox and the Cheerleader, Sheela and the Ferret, Tanks for the Memories, and now, So Not the End of the World. The rest of my stories are also K/R, heading off in unusual directions: crossovers like KP:TNG and Stoppable's Island, AUs like Nacho Boy and the Dragon Lady, Final, and Trading Up. I'd like to think readers come to my stories for the quality of the writing; I know they come for the burnt pizza smell and the K/R (the one or two forays in other directions have since been removed).

Since I began posting in late June 2005 I've been fortunate enough to develop a loyal readership that is willing to take the time to leave reviews. I'm still amazed, and flattered, by the number of reviews people submit for my stories. Readers were also kind enough to give me enough votes to win Fannies two years in a row. If you were to ask me which I value most, reviews or a Fannie, I'd answer a review.

This doesn't mean I don't appreciate the Fannies I've won; I very much do. However, I will confess that last year's Fannie contest left me feeling very uncomfortable. There was an awful lot of shameless lobbying, indeed outright begging, for votes and there also appeared to be bloc voting on the part of the slash crowd. I really don't think it's seemly for authors to shill for votes or for one group of readers to manipulate a process so as to make their preferred pairing look more popular than it really is.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDrP View Post
    There was an awful lot of shameless lobbying, indeed outright begging, for votes and there also appeared to be bloc voting on the part of the slash crowd.
    Yeah, when I saw I'd made the final three for Best Romance, I was optimistic for about five seconds. Then I realized the other two were both Kigos so I assumed they'd both beaten me.

(I don't comment on the merits of the two stories, as I've never read either.)

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    But also my stories are also very "traditional" if you will. They pretty much follow canon philosophy, good ending, stay within the KP world, etc.

It just seemed to me to be the right thing to do with the characters. I'm content with it. But I also think that it simply is not popular with the Fannie crowd.
    Of my two main stories, one is a crossover and one is an AU (in addition to being a sequel to another author's work). In addition, I could never hope to capture the tone and spirit of the show. That said, I, too, can only write what I feel would be the best thing for the characters.

I have always tried to honor Kim and Ron and their world. I write to express my affection for them and the show.

And that's the bottom line.

However, I feel (and I hope I'm mistaken) that some writers at FF.net don't have this sense of affection.

And that is really depressing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDrP View Post
    However, I will confess that last year's Fannie contest left me feeling very uncomfortable. There was an awful lot of shameless lobbying, indeed outright begging, for votes and there also appeared to be bloc voting on the part of the slash crowd. I really don't think it's seemly for authors to shill for votes or for one group of readers to manipulate a process so as to make their preferred pairing look more popular than it really is.
    Exactly. This is also what I see. I really feeel the Fannies have become too much the playground of the slash crowd who pretty much have manipulated it to their ends. The K/R and other crowds just don't participate that much any more because of it. So it's becoming more and more the "Slash" awards more than anything.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ian Combat View Post
    I think my most popular story when it was up and before they reset the stats was Turning Over a new Green Leaf. It had over 30, 000 hits, and 57 reviews. Don't know why, I look at it now on my computer and shudder. Perhaps it was just that following So the Drama the idea of Shego as a teacher at Middleton was so preposterous that people had to see where I was going with it? And look what we have two years later? Stop Team Go...

That reminds me (yes, whenever I think of Team Go I think of Twila, and that was before the chickens ); Twila, you wouldn't happen to have those PMs I sent you a while back about our plans for rewriting our stories, specifically TONGL, still? I happened to lose or misplace my copy, which is bad because it had those little tidbits about it that I need for the story to work in the rewritten version.
    Oh dear, I have started a Team Go chicken trend.

I sure do! I'll resend you them.

--

on-topic: My most populer story is Possibles of The Caribbean, with 4400 hits and 74 reviews, no suprise though, I hit the PoTC sweet spot with that story. It's not even finished yet too.

Following that was the original versions of Scarlet Favor with over 2000 hits, and probably also over 70 reviews, though that was only after writing 28 poorly exacuted chapters.

I try my best to stay in character and in cannon, but I also try to keep things original and interesting. With a pop culter reference here and there. And that's how I do things. I stay out of shipping, wheather it be KiGo, K/R, or anything for that matter, because a romantic focus never stuck for me (with the exception of Ron Droppable, and even that avoids being too mushy), and I just write what I think works. Sure, it hasn't gotten me the killer readership I'd like to have, but I'm happy with what I do, and that's pretty much all that matters right?

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twila Starla View Post
    I'm happy with what I do, and that's pretty much all that matters right?
    No! Fame, fortune* and honors are what matters!

(*)Note to Disney lawyers: I'm speaking of metaphorical fortunes here. Not actual fortunes you could go to court over.

Registered User Veteran Member Ace Ian Combat's Avatar

--

on-topic: My most populer story is Possibles of The Caribbean, with 4400 hits and 74 reviews, no suprise though, I hit the PoTC sweet spot with that story. It's not even finished yet too.

Following that was the original versions of Scarlet Favor with over 2000 hits, and probably also over 70 reviews, though that was only after writing 28 poorly exacuted chapters.

I try my best to stay in character and in cannon, but I also try to keep things original and interesting. With a pop culter reference here and there. And that's how I do things. I stay out of shipping, wheather it be KiGo, K/R, or anything for that matter, because a romantic focus never stuck for me (with the exception of Ron Droppable, and even that avoids being too mushy), and I just write what I think works. Sure, it hasn't gotten me the killer readership I'd like to have, but I'm happy with what I do, and that's pretty much all that matters right?
    Thanks Twila. And yeah, your stories do work, it's one of the reasons I love them so much. I didn't just praise Out of the Blue repeatedly for no reason!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I don't want to be the one the battles always choose... but inside I realize that I'm the one confused... Breaking the Habit, by Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ian Combat View Post

--

Thanks Twila. And yeah, your stories do work, it's one of the reasons I love them so much. I didn't just praise Out of the Blue repeatedly for no reason!
    Thank you! Always good to hear that.

Edit: Sweet sig, Ace Ian!

Mike_Industries
    Being as I am a "Self Promoter" I think that I should add my skittles to the pile.

Here are my stats for my most popular story

One Single Shot:
    8476 hits... 52 reviews

Not bad for a 9 chapter fic... and the 10th soon to be up... (See. self promotion, not such a bad thing)

Self promoting is not a bad thing... If done correctly. I am not here trying to push it down your throats... I am here to say what I am up to, and when you got the time, check it out.

Now is it a bad thing? To some, yes... to others, no... It all depends on your personal opinions... But judging from the reaction to my self promotion, I'd say I'm a pretty decent guy still. And in fact, I was being called an elite member of the KP community... and what did I say in return? Nah... you got the wrong guy. I guess my gripe is with self promotion is:

If you do it to let others know what you are doing... A+

If you do it just because you feel you are better than others and constantly say how great you are... F

I may self promote a lot, but I am on the same page as everybody else... I'm neither above you all, or below you. (Except jeriddian, he's above me... lol... admin of this wonderful place...LOL!) And besides, if people want me to stop talking now... I will.