The Fannie Awards Thread - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fannie Awards Thread

Registered User Senior Member cpneb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Looks cool! (Now I'm fired up to get chapter 3 of "The After" done... Arrrgghhhh... school..... )

Is there any sort of story submission protocol, or, as in the Order of the Arrow, are stories are elected by the peers, without much drive/campagining by the submittee? Is there a cutoff date for story eligibility?
    Mike answered the last question (end of 2007), so I'll work towards the front of the question list:

The Fannies Committee does no campaigning for specific stories as an organization. Campaigning for stories by the writers does occur (likely, a bunch in the background as well as some in the foreground. I didn't realize the impact of campaigning until I witnessed the possible impact of it, last year, as StarvingLunatic ran away with most of the awards last year).

The first submission, to appear on the ballot, last year, could be done by the writer or another writer/reader; from that point, nominees for each category appeared on the forum as well as the website. There has been some discussion about using the Forum's polling capability to collect votes for some stages of the process, but nothing has been announced as of yet.

I hope this helps...

...cpneb

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpneb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Looks cool! (Now I'm fired up to get chapter 3 of "The After" done... Arrrgghhhh... school..... )

Is there any sort of story submission protocol, or, as in the Order of the Arrow, are stories are elected by the peers, without much drive/campagining by the submittee? Is there a cutoff date for story eligibility?
    Mike answered the last question (end of 2007), so I'll work towards the front of the question list:

The Fannies Committee does no campaigning for specific stories as an organization. Campaigning for stories by the writers does occur (likely, a bunch in the background as well as some in the foreground. I didn't realize the impact of campaigning until I witnessed the possible impact of it, last year, as StarvingLunatic ran away with most of the awards last year).

The first submission, to appear on the ballot, last year, could be done by the writer or another writer/reader; from that point, nominees for each category appeared on the forum as well as the website. There has been some discussion about using the Forum's polling capability to collect votes for some stages of the process, but nothing has been announced as of yet.

I hope this helps...

...cpneb
    Which may well explain a reason why my stories did not do as well as they might have at the awards, as I don't believe in doing that "tooting your own horn" thing. I had been nominated for a couple of awards, but that was about it. however, campaigning for your work like that is not unknown at the Oscars and Emmys, so I guess it's acceptable practice. Just doesn't seem right to me though......
    "Say the Word"

I don't think I'd be able to do it myself either. Granted I don't have much to campaign for anyway, what with having only written one (short) story this year... yes, I'm lazy, I admit it... But heck, I was just happy enough to get two nominations the first time. At least I think it was two...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Do you get the gift baskets like they do at the Oscar's?
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Do you get the gift baskets like they do at the Oscar's?
    No, Camille Leon keeps jacking the goodie bags.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMagic View Post
    I don't think I'd be able to do it myself either. Granted I don't have much to campaign for anyway, what with having only written one (short) story this year... yes, I'm lazy, I admit it... But heck, I was just happy enough to get two nominations the first time. At least I think it was two...
    Quote Originally Posted by jerridian
    Which may well explain a reason why my stories did not do as well as they might have at the awards, as I don't believe in doing that "tooting your own horn" thing. I had been nominated for a couple of awards, but that was about it. however, campaigning for your work like that is not unknown at the Oscars and Emmys, so I guess it's acceptable practice. Just doesn't seem right to me though......
    I understand how both of you feel; I had the same reactions initially, assuming that my worth as a writer was based on my own internal meter: the reviews I was getting actually shocked me, and I began to realize I was hitting some spots that no one else was reaching, but I was not reaching enough people.

Hence, the self-promotion and campaigning for the Fannies that I did last year: it was minimal, but it had an impact, for certain: top three in one category and a shared award. The result was that my profile hits and story hists and review began to climb almost immediately after the announcement of the awards: I had, on one story alone, a 5% increase in its meager hit count in 48 hours.

I've built up a following since then, but I will still likely have to do some 'marketing:' I'm in a niche market: the number of Jade shippers allows us to meet in a minivan for the convention, and the back seat still has room!

[soapbox mounted and speech beginning]
    I write for those who have no voice, the unnamed characters and one-time characters in the show who are representative far too well in real life: I was one when I was growing up, so I know how the characters feel and that there are real-live version of them out there, in here. I try to tell their stories, to elevate them and to give them hope for the future.

That's why I do the marketing for my works when the Fannies come out, and why I will continue to do so until the Jocelyn Possibles and Justine Flanner and Big Mikes and the girl in blue and her tall unnamed friends have their stories told. Been there, done that, and being one of them hurts: don't wish that on anyone, even an animated creation (that's why it was so easy, when asked, to write The Girl In Blue's story). [\soapbox dismounted and speech ended]

Thanks for listening.

Yeah, I understand, nebster. But I just don't like doing that, so I guess I'll live with the consequences. I have a small audience whom I think appreciates my work. "Resolutions" has over 27,500 hits, 72 reviews, and QGA has about 5700 hits, 70 reviews. Not as impressive as the big guys, but that's okay. But also my stories are also very "traditional" if you will. They pretty much follow canon philosophy, good ending, stay within the KP world, etc. It seems to me though that the majority of the readership that's active in the Fannies does not really care for that. They seem more interested in the more outre sorts of stories, crossovers, AU's, AP stories. They are spicier and seem more imaginative to them, which is fine. And so those stories seem to do better in the awards.

But that's okay. I write from the heart as well. My stories are very cathartic for me, almost gut-wrenching. I still shiver each time I read the last full chapter of QGA. I get the sense a lot of readers disdain it for the traditional tenor of the story, and may think it boring or trite because of that. If so, so be it. It just seemed to me to be the right thing to do with the characters. I'm content with it. But I also think that it simply is not popular with the Fannie crowd.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Veteran Member Ace Ian Combat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post

Meh, I can't promote myself either. I actually find it insulting that practically everybody else can get away with mentioning stuff they've done that they feel is important, then when I mention the smallest detail, people snap at me and tell me not to brag. Of course, that's if they even hear me at all. I have one of those low voices that apparently only dogs can hear.

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Yeah, I understand, nebster. But I just don't like doing that, so I guess I'll live with the consequences. I have a small audience whom I think appreciates my work. "Resolutions" has over 27,500 hits, 72 reviews, and QGA has about 5700 hits, 70 reviews. Not as impressive as the big guys, but that's okay. But also my stories are also very "traditional" if you will. They pretty much follow canon philosophy, good ending, stay within the KP world, etc. It seems to me though that the majority of the readership that's active in the Fannies does not really care for that. They seem more interested in the more outre sorts of stories, crossovers, AU's, AP stories. They are spicier and seem more imaginative to them, which is fine. And so those stories seem to do better in the awards.

But that's okay. I write from the heart as well. My stories are very cathartic for me, almost gut-wrenching. I still shiver each time I read the last full chapter of QGA. I get the sense a lot of readers disdain it for the traditional tenor of the story, and may think it boring or trite because of that. If so, so be it. It just seemed to me to be the right thing to do with the characters. I'm content with it. But I also think that it simply is not popular with the Fannie crowd.
    I looked at your numbers and said WOW! I'd kill for that hit count on a story. My largest hit count on a story is for BE,S 1: Blue Eyes, Shining, with
    3,517 with 97 reviews, with my second-place BE,S 8: Always, love, with 2,456 hits and 41 reviews. The first is the introduction of my Jade pairing: their first meeting,and the trials that bring them together, while the second is Mr. and Mrs. Dr. P.

My two next largest review stories are BE,S 2 Training Table Blues with 80 and Define, Hell IV: Changes, and Christmas, with 71.

You definition of small audience is bigger than my universe!

I step outside of the KP 'verse as I expanded to answer the questions about Wade not leaving his room and what happened to Joss' mom.

There is the large KiGo and large K/R shipping 'teams,' if you will, but there is a growing group of writers and readers that like a good story, regardless of the characters, sitches, and universes: these are the writers which I aim to reach, not as much for the votes, but for the reads and to get feedback to see if I'm hitting the marks for my stories.

I doubt that I'll ever gain the popularity of some of the KiGo-predominant writers (StarvingLunatic and King in Yellow, for example), but whitem, Mr. Dr. P, Zaratan, and several others are looking for a different audience: people that like good tale.

I'd really be interested to see what would happen if, for both you and Ace Ian Combat....look out, I just had a visit from the non-self-promoting Plot Bunny telling me to continue to push other's stories in mine. I started to do that, mainly because I would read something that grabbed my heart or laughing nodes. So, now I have to go back and re-ready both of your bodies of work and see where I need to act as your unofficial unpaid press secretary.

I have a request from some writers over on FF.net to do some statistical analysis of their stats to see what can gleamed from the numbers other than 'mine's larger than yours;' kinda like hat or shoe sizes.

That's my opinion...I don't plan to change your opinions, but I want to give you some more food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by cpneb View Post
    I doubt that I'll ever gain the popularity of some of the KiGo-predominant writers (StarvingLunatic and King in Yellow, for example), but whitem, Mr. Dr. P, Zaratan, and several others are looking for a different audience: people that like good tale.
    That is the point, of course. The popularity of the Kigo's over there is so profound, and the readership base reflects it, probably more than even the more traditionalist oriented writers such as MrDrP and some other K/R writers. Even those K/R writers however explore AU, crossover, etc. as well. The early writers, the ones who started writing KP as soon as the series hit the air have benefitted the most in terms of readership.

Some of these writers have hundreds of thousands of hit counts and hundreds upon hundreds of reviews. You can count on G-Go, CaptainKodak1, Commander Argus, Classic Cowboy, among others to have these kinds of stats. I started very late, relatively. "Resolutions" didn't post until more than a year after STD aired. Several people had already done a similar veined story, G-Go's excellent "Reunion" series prominent among them. Of course, one could say they just write a better story, and that certainly is possible. I know there's always room for improvement in my work.

I just wanted to continue the storyline as it is. I wanted to do what MBS would have done which to keep the original KP universe going and tell the story of what came later. But I really think that the majority of the readership at FF.net is not that interested in that, but more interested in stuff that MBS would never have done.
    "Say the Word"