Emotional Writing
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emotional Writing

Registered User Regular Member Sir Sebastian's Avatar

Emotional Writing

I just happened to read something I wrote a while ago (not published yet), and it made me tear up. I know some (most?) writers tear up when writing an emotional scene, but how many can confess to doing the same when reading the same scene later..?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    I'm not much on emotional stuff (I tend to run pretty neutral most of the time, one of my running, or nick, names was Mr. Spock, so this gives you an idea of about how emotional I am) but have been known to read, or reread, something and get to laughing so hard that I've blown beer out my nose.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    I'm not much on emotional stuff (I tend to run pretty neutral most of the time, one of my running, or nick, names was Mr. Spock, so this gives you an idea of about how emotional I am) but have been known to read, or reread, something and get to laughing so hard that I've blown beer out my nose.
    I'm proud to say that some of the stuff that has caused lunchmeat to suffer from one such bout of acute exogenous alcoholic rhinitis was written by me.:P

As to stories that made me tear up. It is very uncommon, but there is one. It's called The Rose, and it was written by 3VAD127 on FF.net.

As for my own work, it would be the last full chapter of Queen's Gambit Accepted.
    "Say the Word"

Mike_Industries
    Seems logical lunchmeat...

I did admit over at ff.net that I did get really emotional when I wrote either chapter 4 or 5 of One Single Shot... But it was part of my writing... I almost felt I needed to in order to understand the mixed feelings of hurt, sadness, and happiness all at the same time... Talk about a buzz kill...

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sebastian View Post
    I just happened to read something I wrote a while ago (not published yet), and it made me tear up. I know some (most?) writers tear up when writing an emotional scene, but how many can confess to doing the same when reading the same scene later..?
    You're not alone, my friend. I wrote a rather sentimental reunion scene for a fanfic I have in progress that still causes me to tear up whenever I reread it.
    Yeah, I'm an old softie, I'll freely admit it.
    Of course, something like this will make me laugh out loud:
    (Originally posted by jeriddian, quoting lunchmeat)
    "I'm not much on emotional stuff (I tend to run pretty neutral most of the time, one of my running, or nick, names was Mr. Spock, so this gives you an idea of about how emotional I am) but have been known to read, or reread, something and get to laughing so hard that I've blown beer out my nose."
    I'm proud to say that some of the stuff that has caused lunchmeat to suffer from one such bout of acute exogenous alcoholic rhinitis was written by me.

"Acute exogenous alcoholic rhinitis" - So that's what they call that...:P
    I'll have to remember that next time I see that happen to someone (or next time it happens to me)!

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    The most emotive passage in my work is the end of chapter 3 of MG. When I reread it I think to myself, "Yeah, this is not half bad." More wistful than tear-jerking, though.

Registered User Veteran Member Ace Ian Combat's Avatar
    I personally haven't written anything that later made me tear up, but I'm not very emotional either. My teacher, the one who inspired me to seriously look at writing as a hobby and possibly a profession on the side, has a nickname for me because of it. After trying several times by having the class watch several tear-jerkers, where even the boys cried (which was intriguing to me), such as Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Notebook (oddly enough I can't remember anything about that one, just that I saw it), she gave up and asked me the last time I cried during a movie. Imagine her suprise when I told that it was when I was eight, during a movie where a grandmother had her legs burned off by lava while trying to escape dinosaurs. So I was christened Heartless.

To my slight disbelief, I cried earlier this year when Elektra died in Daredevil.

Most stories don't make me cry either, despite my very vivid imagination. I may get moist eyes, but they go away after a few seconds. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is the first part of Twila Starla's Out of the Blue. (I seem to mention it a lot; that's because it's an excellent fic and Twila outdid herself with it.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I don't want to be the one the battles always choose... but inside I realize that I'm the one confused... Breaking the Habit, by Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ian Combat View Post
    I personally haven't written anything that later made me tear up, but I'm not very emotional either. My teacher, the one who inspired me to seriously look at writing as a hobby and possibly a profession on the side, has a nickname for me because of it. After trying several times by having the class watch several tear-jerkers, where even the boys cried (which was intriguing to me), such as Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Notebook (oddly enough I can't remember anything about that one, just that I saw it), she gave up and asked me the last time I cried during a movie. Imagine her suprise when I told that it was when I was eight, during a movie where a grandmother had her legs burned off by lava while trying to escape dinosaurs. So I was christened Heartless.

To my slight disbelief, I cried earlier this year when Elektra died in Daredevil.

Most stories don't make me cry either, despite my very vivid imagination. I may get moist eyes, but they go away after a few seconds. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is the first part of Twila Starla's Out of the Blue. (I seem to mention it a lot; that's because it's an excellent fic and Twila outdid herself with it.)
    Seriously, girl, you give me waaay too much credit sometimes.

It takes a lot to break me down to the point of tears, but I've done it. Writing my oneshot, White Roses, left me misty. And somewhat amusingly, writing the outline of the Guardians of Meldoria series, during the parts in which a certain character would die (because several characters do).

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Even though I wrote it, the scene aboard Air Force One in the final chapter of "OLS" always gets my eyes a bit misted up. I'm actually surprised how well it turned out.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    In addition to the reunion scene I wrote, there are several other things that make/made me tear up whenever I read/view them. For instance, there's a scene in one of the Honor Harrington books (I won't say which one) in which Honor is grieving the loss of a dear friend. Every time I read that, I get all teary-eyed.
    In the summer of '89, a movie came out called "Beaches" starring Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey. They played a couple of women who met as young girls and became close friends for life. The first time I saw it, I was with my then-fiancee. I didn't cry after seeing the movie then; but in September of that year, after she & I broke up and after my father died, I went to see that film at a bargain cinema. On the drive home from the September viewing, I found myself silently crying - the tears were just pouring down my face as the emotion overwhelmed me. I found myself thinking how I'd better drive very carefully, as it'd be really awkward to be stopped by a cop and have him see me crying like that. Fortunately, I got home OK.