How was your day? Part 8 - Page 3
Global Justice Alliance

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How was your day? Part 8

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    Not a good day.

Every once in a while my dad, on behalf of friends, asks me for information on new drugs, cancer treatments and clinical trials. My first question always is, ďhave they talked to their doctor?Ē My second always is, ďdid you tell them that *Iím* not a medical doctor?Ē

All I can do is skim abstracts to get a clearer idea of what theyíre talking about (thereís a language barrier so I get everything through my dad), search the NCI database for ongoing clinical trials (a great website, btw, with tons of information) and pass on whatever seems appropriate, reiterating that they should talk to their doctor.

Iím totally unqualified and inadequate but itís not like I can say no. By the time they ask standard treatments have been unsuccessful and I understand what theyíre going through.

Ugh. If I sound like Iím complaining Iím not, really. I just need to ventómy dad just told me his friendís sonís cancer has metastasized to his lungs and kidneys. 8 years old.
    Very sorry to hear that. Of course, it depends on the kind of cancer, but childhood malignant cancers are usually very bad. And if it has metastasized to lungs and kidneys, that is also very bad. Hate to say it, but it sounds like the prognosis is poor. The NCI web sites are a good source of information, but sometimes have to be taken within context.

Another loong, arduous, stressful, tense day. Will actually go to bed soon to catch up on lost sleep over the last three days.
    "Say the Word"

Halloween was interesting. My Religion teacher of last year came up to me and said, "Hey, look! I'm a philosopher!" He was dressed as what looked like a Greek philosopher, which was funny because last year some kid called him Socrates. My Chemistry teacher was an M&M, and my Math teacher was a priest.

I think I'm going to fail Math by the year's end.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Well, today was busy, but not particularly interesting.

Of course, by this time tomorrow, I'll have my badge for the convention this weekend. ^_^

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Had fun this evening, I took apart an old P-II desktop computer. I've always wondering what the connection on that particular processors looked like and now I know. May do a P-III tomorrow or and AMD... haven't decided yet.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Another fun day of inserting month-end invoices, and sorting mail...
    Our company had a tabletop scarecrow contest. Employees were invited to build a miniature scarecrow using wooden craft sticks and other materials, and submit them today for judging. Only three people entered the contest, however.
    At home, we had a good number of kids stop by for trick-or-treating. After a pizza dinner (we ordered out), I managed to balance my checkbook. I discovered why I had a ten-dollar discrepancy when I did it last night; early this month, I withdrew $30 from the ATM, but logged it in my checkbook as $20 (oops...). Once I corrected that, my checkbook balanced to the penny (again).

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Well, I had to take care of the usual end-of-month data gathering for reporting, and I also continued with training our new guy. Finally, I had to make certain that everything would go as smoothly as possible while I'm off for the next business day and a half.

Then, I drove up from Southfield to Troy (encountering random construction along the way), and picked up my Youmacon badge at the hotel. Now, I'm home, getting ready (read: doing laundry), so I have my stuff to wear for the 'con. No outright costumes, although I do have the clothes to resemble my current Gaia avatar... XD

Anyway, after I log off tonight, the next time I'll be on is Sunday night, home from the 'con. I'm actually taking a half-day on Monday to recover, so I don't have to go in to work until 1 PM.

It's gonna be great.

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    I think whatever I had is starting to relapse... I've got that awful feeling again.... time to break out the cold medicine again.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I went to two concerts today. This afternoon it was the Springfield Symphony's "Lunchtime" concert to preview their Smetana, Bernstein & Beethoven concert tomorrow night. Then tonight it was the US Marine Band playing Sousa, DvořŠk, Ives, and others. Both concerts were great, and they didn't even cost me anything, except $2 for parking at the symphony.

I got proven wrong by my friend and teased (about it) by my previous Religion teacher (this wouldn't be the first time). Then my volleyball team had a pizza party, and now I'm exhausted because I barely slept last night.

I'm pretty sure my math grade for the quarter, which ended today, is bad, or much worse than last year.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Busted my hump at work today getting the month-end invoices mailed out - it didn't help matters any that both my inserters and my big postage meter kept malfunctioning (the meter had a broken piece that one of the guys in the shop had to repair for me). But I made good progress, and got a lot done.
    Had hot dogs and French fries for dinner; then I read some more of my book about the American spies in East Germany. Watched tonight's KP ep - "Clean Slate" - and now I'm on-line with you guys.