Remembrance Day 2007: And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Remembrance Day 2007: And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda

Remembrance Day 2007: And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda

My brother made a slide show for the approaching Remembrance Day that I thought I'd share.

Taken from his blog:
    "Waltzing Matilda" is a famous Australian folk song and a “Matilda” was the name given to the pack that Australian farm workers carried on their backs. To "Waltz Matilda" meant to travel the bush with the pack on your back.

The song “The Band Played Waltzing Matilda” by Eric Bogle is about 50,000 Australian soldiers who fought against Turkish troops and died in the Battle of Gallipoli in World War I.

The pictures are of Australian soldiers from Gallipoli and of Canadian troops, past and present.
    And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    A beautiful Ode, canuck, very beautiful. Many kudos to your brother for this tribute.
    "Say the Word"

I normally don't listen to songs with banjos, but I admit this song tugged my heart strings.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month. It really is something besides a sale at Mattress Outlet.

I've probably mentioned it before, but Souda Bay is a very haunting place (NATO holds annual amphibious exercises there), you can still see the trenches.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month. It really is something besides a sale at Mattress Outlet.

Drat, my school laptop is blocking the "Waltzing" site... To the PC...
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Or the Batpoles.....
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77
    Drat, my school laptop is blocking the "Waltzing" site... To the PC...
    You can try here: the video is embedded rather than taking you to youtube. Perhaps that will work?