Toys linked to date rape drug
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Toys linked to date rape drug

Toys linked to date rape drug

What's up with toys, this year? It seems like every week or so there's another recall. And now there's this. It's ridiculous.

China-made toys seized in Hong Kong were being tested Thursday after scientists in Australia found that similar ones contained a chemical that converts into a powerful "date rape" drug when ingested, officials said.

At least five children — two in the United States and three in Australia — have been taken to hospital after swallowing the toy beads [...] a chemical coating on the beads, when ingested, metabolizes into the so-called "date-rape" drug gamma hydroxy butyrate. When eaten, the compound — made from common and easily available ingredients — can induce unconsciousness, seizures, drowsiness, coma and death [...] --cbc.ca
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    What's up with toys, this year? It seems like every week or so there's another recall. And now there's this. It's ridiculous.

...a chemical coating on the beads, when ingested, metabolizes into the so-called "date-rape" drug gamma hydroxy butyrate.
    Yike. That is scary.

IIRC, the beads are called "Aquadots;" I've seen them on TV. You spray water on them, and they fuse into drawings or something like that...

I think one of my neighbors has them...

EDIT:

From Wikipedia:

...They were recalled in Australia after a two-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl became seriously ill after they swallowed large numbers of the beads. Two children in North America were left in near-comatose states after similar ingestion.
    In light of this information, I'm still horrified by the chemical coating, but, really.... ingesting a large number of plastic pellets? Wouldn't you feel kinda sick from the simple plasticy-inorganic-ness after just a few? I can understand the two-year-old pulling something like this, but a ten-year-old...? Shouldn't they know better than to swallow what amounts to plastic BBs? What kind parent lets their kid shovel down large amounts of colored beads? Was no one watching these kids?
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    The news from China just keeps getting better, I wonder if there will be another Mattell style self critisiscm to save face for the PLA?
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

I wonder if the toy safety issues this year will have a significant effect on sales this holiday season.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Yeah, I have to wonder about the kids and their parents in this case, but still... we've got a trend with the Chinese manufacturers cutting corners left and right, and pulling crap like this.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Yeah, I have to wonder about the kids and their parents in this case, but still... we've got a trend with the Chinese manufacturers cutting corners left and right, and pulling crap like this.
    Of course, the Chinese could always find the official responsible for allowing these dots to be sold to the US and execute him like they did that last poor devil. They have a long way to go in terms of cleaning their act up.
    "Say the Word"

My impression is that all the recalls this year are primarily because toy companies have only recently stepped up their quality control testing. Makes me wonder for how long poor-quality goods have been pouring through the net of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Fyi, seven more children in the U.S. have fallen ill after swallowing the date-rape drug tainted toys:
    U.S. officials said Friday there are seven more reports of children falling ill after ingesting Aqua Dots toy beads containing a powerful chemical that metabolizes into a potent date-rape drug [...] The children were treated in hospitals in Texas, Delaware, New Hampshire, Illinois and Utah [...] --cbc.ca