On Strike
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Strike

On Strike

It seems that lately a lot of people are going on strike. The writers of TV shows, the stagehands of Broadway (most of the shows are not playing), and even the teachers in my school are considering striking. Thoughts? (Other than the fact that no one gets paid enough.)
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    We had a couple of teachers' strikes when I was in school... the longest one was in the fall of 1983, when I was just starting fourth grade, and we were out of school for weeks until that one was settled.

I also remember the writers' strike of 1988, pushing back the start of the fall TV season. Star Trek fans know that the TNG staff actually pulled out some of the scripts from the aborted Star Trek: Phase II series to use for TNG (although one of the scripts didn't get used until the fourth season).

As far as the current writers' strike, my friend Leslie has seen it up close, since she works at Universal CityWalk.

The teachers in my school have been debating about this strike for a few weeks. I hope things get settled soon. I found out that there had been a teacher's strike at my school a few years ago led by one of the teachers I had last year.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

I heard about the writer's strike. I think the networks should put a video camera in front of a pile of poop and air that instead of reruns. That way people know what they're watching, instead of being tricked into thinking they're watching anything else.

Huh. A letter just came in the mail stating that the teachers weren't being paid enough and if negotiations aren't made soon, they will (regrettably) have to go on strike, even though they would rather not.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    Huh. A letter just came in the mail stating that the teachers weren't being paid enough and if negotiations aren't made soon, they will (regrettably) have to go on strike, even though they would rather not.
    That's the usually type of language I see them use before they strike. A stirke cna be painful all the way around, which is why they usually don't do it unless they feel there is no other choice.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    That's the usually type of language I see them use before they strike. A stirke cna be painful all the way around, which is why they usually don't do it unless they feel there is no other choice.
    According to a few teachers the strike will be tomorrow or sometime this week. According to a few students they are planning a "sick out" where they all call in sick. And there was another meeting for the teachers this afternoon.

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    According to a few teachers the strike will be tomorrow or sometime this week. According to a few students they are planning a "sick out" where they all call in sick. And there was another meeting for the teachers this afternoon.
    I take it you live somewhere up north? Down here in the south, if someone mentions "teacher strike," most people (me included) look confused and ask, "What do you mean, teachers can strike? I thought that was a dock-worker thing." The idea of teachers striking is completely foreign to us.

Are teachers in your area paid by a 3rd-party? I think down here they're all bankrolled by the government.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    I take it you live somewhere up north? Down here in the south, if someone mentions "teacher strike," most people (me included) look confused and ask, "What do you mean, teachers can strike? I thought that was a dock-worker thing." The idea of teachers striking is completely foreign to us.

Are teachers in your area paid by a 3rd-party? I think down here they're all bankrolled by the government.
    Back when I was in third grade, the teachers at my elementary school went on strike for a while. I remember we had a substitute in my class during that time, but I never saw my regular teacher on the picket lines. I guess she either decided not to picket at all, or else she did so while I was in class.

In answer to your question, 'chutes, who pays GoTeamGirl's teachers depends on whether they're in a public school or a private one. Up here in Illinois, public school teachers are mostly union members even though they're paid by the taxpayers. And the unions around here, especially in Chicago and its suburbs, are very powerful.

The teachers in my school are part of a union and are striking (well, if they ever officially strike) against the Archdiocese because my school is a Catholic one.

That being said, today I came in and the teachers were picketing outside. Inside I asked one of the teachers if they were on strike and he said no, just that they were trying to raise awareness of their situation. True to his answer, by homeroom the teachers were back inside and the day continued normally. I have a feeling this morning picketing will continue all week. I have no clue if an actual strike will occur, though. They seem close enough to it.