Sadly another school shooting
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sadly another school shooting

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar

Sadly another school shooting

Yahoo.com
    DEKALB, Ill. - A gunman opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University on Thursday, injuring as many as 15 people, authorities said.

Campus police report that the immediate danger has passed. The gunman is no longer a threat," the school reported on its Web site at 4:14 p.m.

Kishwaukee Community Hospital said on its Web site up to 15 victims were arriving, including three to four with head wounds.

The shooting took place in Cole Hall near the King Commons, a central gathering place on the 25,000-student campus, according to the Web site.

The Associated Press left messages left for university police and police in DeKalb, located about 65 miles west of Chicago.

Yet another shooting and I happen to be in the same state. VT and now this... just sad

I know, it's awful. And I think there was even another, within a couple days of this one... but I'm not positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihdreniel View Post
    I know, it's awful. And I think there was even another, within a couple days of this one... but I'm not positive.
    I thought I heard of another one, too, but only the shooter killed himself and ended up in a dormitory, and they released the warning around the school half an hour after the whole incident.

This is very sad. Schools shouldn't have to worry about these kinds of things.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Unfortunately.... I'm afraid most, if not all schools are going to get to a point where they have to put metal dectetors in for security. The offical death toll from this is now 5 and this is not including the gunman.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    It's been the only thing they were talking about on the local news shows tonight. It's tragic...

Quote Originally Posted by Ihdreniel View Post
    According to this article, three other incidents just this past week.

* Feb. 12: A 14-year-old boy shot a 15-year-old boy in a classroom at E.O. Green Junior High School in Oxnard, Calif. The victim was declared brain dead at hospital.
    * Feb. 11: A 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically injuring a student during gym class at Mitchell High School in Memphis, Tenn.
    * Feb. 8: A nursing student opened fire at the Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge, killing two students before killing herself.
    --cbc.ca
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Registered User Regular Member Sir Sebastian's Avatar
    All this begs the question: "What the -bleep- is going on with kids today?"

I believe this is the result of all the news coverage of past shootings inciting people who would crack anyway to do it this way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sebastian View Post
    All this begs the question: "What the -bleep- is going on with kids today?"

I believe this is the result of all the news coverage of past shootings inciting people who would crack anyway to do it this way.
    Actually I do think you have a good point. The news coverage focuses too heavily on this stuff in a negative way IMO.
    "Say the Word"

The way problems are delt with... there's no honor and or integrity in dealing with problems in life this way. I blame the parents too in the way they teach there kids to deal with problems like this. Revenge is a big thing that shouldn't be taught to take... not on this level.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    It's not always the parents' fault, Cloud. Many times, like the father of this kid I think, they have no clue that there was ever any kind of a problem that could lead to this. I think however that societal forces in general have changed the mores of the young people in this country to such a degree that allows this to happen much more readily. It's far too complicated and involves a great many factors overall, but it essentially involves the weakening of the basic family unit. I'm sure, this guy's father never taught him to handle problems in any way like this. This guy thought of this all by himself. And revenge is something that is never an answer that solves a problem on any level.

The Mongols (of course in Star Trek, it was attributed to the Klingons, but in real life it was as noted) always stated that "Revenge is a dish that is best served cold". The key is to serve it it so cold, in the absense of the emotion driving it in the first place, that it becomes driven instead by Logic, which eventually is joined by Compassion. When an answer to such an injustice is decided by these traits, it turns into Justice, because these traits will tell you the right thing to do, and it is always different then the original intent.

But in these case like this, such madness is always driven by extreme pain, a psychological pain of such immense proportions driving a rage of such magnitude that as to drive all sense of propriety and any ability to control it out of the mind of such an individual and releases any inhibitions that might be there from randomly striking out. These people always seem to feel that they are alone and persecuted by the entire world, and as such everyone is to blame, therefore everyone must be made to pay, and their pain won't allow them to see past the sheer illogic of such thoughts. The only thing in their heads is that they want the pain to end. So they intend to die to get rid of the pain. But they are also thinking "I'm going to take some of these *******s with me..."

Of course, there are those madmen who do it because they want their fifteen minutes of fame. These sick, twisted individuals do not understand the value of life, not even their own. They eventually are almost always found out because they want their fifteen minutes, and they get what they deserve.

There is no easy answer, of course. This guy had no record. There was no indication he had any kind of mental problems of which people were aware, although there are the reports he was supposedly on some type of "medication" that he stopped taking two weeks ago. I'm not sure there's any real importance behind that. He bought the weapons legally. Unlike WVU, this seems to be very much a case that the legal system may not have been able to foresee or prevent.

We may have to turn the schools into fortresses in order to prevent further events like this.....

EDIT: Well, it would appear that the man had a history of mental illness, though not of any violence. His parents apparently had placed him in a Chicago psychiatric inpatient facility just after he finished high school. An anonymous report said he would cut himself and resisted taking his medications there. The specific mental illness was not mentioned or identified. Apparently, he continued to resist taking his medications afterwards because he did not want to consider himself mentally ill, or be thought of in that way. Nonetheless, there is a record of mental illness, and his mother died two years ago of cancer, which might have some cause here. He did buy the guns legally, and passed the background check in at least one instance of that process. It is true he had no criminal record whatsoever. He also had gained the Illinois state issued license to own the guns, required in Illinois. Perhaps Illinois should do the same thing Virginia did in terms of denying gun ownership to people who have been hospitalized in psychiatric hospitals as was the gunman at VTU, or it could be done on the federal level. Of course, that means every single person who has ever been hospitalized in psychiatric facility would lose their right to bear arms.
    "Say the Word"