Other Fandoms
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Fandoms

Registered User Senior Member Ran Hakubi's Avatar

Other Fandoms

We're all here for KP, that much is a given. But, how many of us are members of other fandoms? Like, what other shows, books, et cetera do you support?

Myself, aside from KP, I'm a giant Spider-Man fan. Posters of Spidey adorn my walls. I've got playing cards, candy dispensers, video games, and comic books of the wall crawler.

I'm also a huge fan of Family Guy. While I don't have as much Family Guy stuff as I do Spider-Man stuff, it's still there.

Now, how about you guys?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, in fact, I did have Mario bed sheets

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Well, I'm also active in science fiction fandom. Back in the early 80's, I joined a Star Trek-based SF club here in Go City; and they've pretty much become my second family - I consider some of the other members to be my closest friends. Our club is part of an organization called ISFiC - that's Illinois Science Fiction in Chicago. Every year, ISFiC runs a regional science fiction convention, called Windycon, which is held the second weekend in November. Windycon's a pretty good-sized convention, too - attendance is usually around 1000-1200 people. (I help run the Dealer's Room, where SF-related merchandise is sold.)
    In addition to my science fiction interests (Star Trek, obviously, as well as Star Wars and David Weber's Honor Harrington novels), I'm also a comics fan. Batman and the Fantastic Four are my favorites.
    Musically, I'm a fan of Deborah Gibson (aka Debbie Gibson) and Barry Manilow. In fact, I belong to both of their fan clubs. I've met Deborah on several occasions, and I got to meet Barry for the first time back in June of 2001.

Mike_Industries
    I'm a huge fan of Sonic the Hedgehog. So I spend some of my time with that. But I am also part of the Kingdom Hearts Fandom. Mainly posting in it's section at Gamewinners.com.

AND I love a lot of manga and Anime. Mainly Bleach, Dragonball Z, and Naruto. So I do spend my time there as well.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Like TWD, I am also a huge Science Fiction fan. I have a huge library of science fiction books dating back to the 1970's. My favorites include the Honor Harrington series as well as the great classics by such great authors such as (I'll include Fantasy Works here as well, BTW) JRR Tolkien, Robert A Heinlein, CJ Cherryh, Tanith Lee, Anne MaCaffrey, Jennifer Roberson, Andre Norton, Stephen Donaldson, Philip K ****, Harlan Ellison, Robert E. Howard, Robert Jordan, and those are only the ones that pop off the top of my head. There are many more. I must have at least several hundred volumes. I also keep up with the Star Trek and Star Wars universe as I have many of the written works dealing with them, especially so with the post ROTJ Star Wars events. However, I have not actually joined any science fiction fan clubs per se. Just too busy with the work I do.

I am also into comics and have a great deal of the silver age comics stored up from when I actively collected. I have all of the silver age new X-Men of the 1970's starting with Giant Size #1 and issue #94 (back when there was only one X-Men title period, and comics cost fifteen cents.), all the way to issue #254 (which of course includes the Dark Phoenix saga). I stopped collecting them in the mid eighties because my school work was way too heavy and I truly disliked the new artist they had put on the series at the time, Bill Sienkowicz. But I also collected Thor, Fantastic Four, New Teen Titans (the series the cartoon is actually based on, not the present day one.), Superman, Batman, and of course Spiderman, along with Iron Man, and the Incredible Hulk. I no longer collect like I used to do, but I still do a little. However, I have limited myself only to Spidergirl and Usagi Yojimbo of Dark Horse comics (Gotta love Stan Sakai!).

EDIT: Autocensor strikes again.....:P
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    ...Philip K ****...
    ...Autocensor strikes again.....:P

So write it as D-i-c-k. That'll do the trick...
    (Hey, that rhymes!!) :P

I'm a big fan on Harry Potter and the musical Rent. Other than that, not much time is spent on other fandoms.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Shows I'm a fan of: Star Trek: TNG, X-Files, Star Wars (IV, V, VI), Jake 2.0, Monk, Quantum Leap, MacGyver, Stargate SG-1, anime (various series - the list is too long!) and cartoons (eg. Kids Next Door; Last Avatar; Danny Phantom; Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy; Looney Tunes....)

I own a lot of Amazing Spiderman, X-men and Wolverine comics - though I stopped purchasing them in the late '80s early '90s when I became extremely annoyed with some of the plots (Spiderman) and because English-language comics are expensive in Hong Kong.

Authors: Tolkien, Heinlein, Eddings, Drake, Lindsey Davis (Falco series), Jim Butcher (Dresden series), Elizabeth Moon, Stephen Donaldson. I also like all the authors jerridian mentioned (though I haven't read Ellison, and T. Lee not so much).

There's a lot more, but the above are just what comes immediately to mind.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Where do I start?

Star Trek, of course, has always been big with me. I also enjoy a lot of other science fiction, both in book form and TV/film. Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis has been my big one in recent years.

I'm a huge anime fan, and a lot of what I like also falls under the sci-fi genre: Mobile Suit Gundam - Universal Century era series, as well as G Gundam, Gundam W (which was my first Gundam series), and Turn-A Gundam. I didn't care for SEED that much, and I've yet to see any of Gundam X or the new series out in Japan, Gundam 00. Other sci-fi-type series I like are Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Dominion Tank Police, Martian Successor Nadesico, and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (which is my all-time favorite). I'm also into some wacky stuff, like Tenchi Muyo, Love Hina, and Excel Saga. I also used to watch the Dragon Ball series (DB and DBZ) and Sailor Moon, although my interest in these series faded a few years ago.

And, of course, there are cartoons... among current stuff, I like Butch Hartman's stuff in particular, but aside from that (and KP, of course), I tend to gravitate toward older stuff. I enjoyed the DCAU from when Batman: The Animated Series first debuted on Fox Kids back in 1992 all the way through the end of Justice League Unlimited (including Batman Beyond), and I do have a soft spot for the old SuperFriends cartoons from when I was really little. And, of course, there's only one generation of Transformers cartoons that truly matters to me: the original generation!

... umm, I'd better slow down before I start getting carried away. Anyway, the last thing I want to bring up is hockey. I'm a huge NHL fan, and my favorite teams are the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins. I also follow college hockey with the Michigan Wolverines, and junior hockey with my hometown Plymouth Whalers.

That's about it... for now. I know I've left a ton out, but I don't want to get too carried away....

I've always been a fan of comics since I was but a wee little laddie. Though the only titles I have any subscriptions to at this point are DC's Birds of Prey and Marvel's Amazing Spider-Girl (Ms. Marvel had to go since the title is now being dragged into Marvel's latest company wide crossover; so sick of that stuff). Of course I'll more than likely be getting subscriptions to Huntress: Year One and that weekly Trinity series from DC. Oh, and all the new Street Fighter comics that Udon will be putting out soon enough. That's gonna be some fun stuff.

If that doesn't clue you (or if all my posts in the video game topic already haven't) I'm a big fan of Street Fighter. Then there's Mario, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, King of Fighters, Metal Gear, Tales of Symphonia...

Then I'm a big Star Wars fan (though really only of the original movies and some of the novels and stuff). Then there's also Star Trek, especially with The Next Generation.

As other shows... big fan of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer, as well as Angel (though I'm a much bigger fan of the latter). As far as cartoons go... can't forget Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck... heck, most of the shows that used to air as a part of the Disney Afternoon block of television. I figure I can chalk up my becoming a fan of Kim Possible because it reminded me of those shows.

And then there's animé... Cowboy Bebop, FullMetal Alchemist, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Yu Yu Hakusho are easily my favorites when it comes to that. DBZ lives on in thanks to the nostalgia in my heart. Oh right, there's Bleach, InuYasha and Naruto as well. Not the biggest fan of them at this point (Bleach abandoned its original premise way too soon, InuYasha has been running with the same storyline for far too long, and Naruto only has two storylines in it that I even like; doesn't help that most of the characters in Naruto I'm even a fan of don't get much screentime in the long run).

Oh, right... can't forget the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm a big fan of that in most of its forms. The old cartoon won me over as a kid and then I stumbled into the comics that started it all when I got older.

All that and I am a fan of The Price is Right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered User Senior Member Ran Hakubi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMagic View Post

All that and I am a fan of The Price is Right.
    Ya know, someone should write a KP/TPiR cross-over...

Check out "The Next Contestant" by Ran Hakubi...you know you want to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, in fact, I did have Mario bed sheets