Vista update warning
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista update warning

Vista update warning

Typical.

Microsoft is warning Windows Vista users that a forthcoming service pack for the operating system may stop some third-party programs working.

The software giant has released a list of programs that may be broken by the SP1 update for Vista.

Most of the software hit by the upgrade are security programs that prevent Windows users falling prey to viruses, trojans and booby-trapped webpages.

The Windows Vista update will be released to the public in mid-March. -- bbc.co.uk
    So not only will the forthcoming Vista update break some 3rd party software, but six of the twelve programs listed protect against viruses and malware. Geee, why not break a few firewall programs, too? That way Microsoft can chop off all three components of home computer security.

These aren't software from no name companies, either; the list includes security software from Zone Alarm and Trend Micro.

Programs hit by Vista SP1:

* BitDefender AV
    * Fujitsu Shock Sensor
    * Jiangmin KV Antivirus 10
    * Jiangmin KV Antivirus 2008
    * Trend Micro Internet Security
    * Zone Alarm Security Suite
    * Iron Speed Designer
    * Xheo Licensing
    * Free Allegiance
    * NYT Reader
    * Rising Personal Firewall
    * Novell ZCM Agent

Technically, Microsoft may not be obligated to make sure Vista is compatible - that's up to the 3rd parties - but my guess is that a large number of Vista users affected will blame Microsoft, rightly or wrongly. I hope Microsoft is making every effort to help 3rd parties update their own software to reflect changes with Vista SP1.

If I sound annoyed, I am. Since, you know, I have Vista and kinda use some software from companies listed above. ::sigh::
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Thanks for the update, canuck,

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen with Vista, which is why I have not yet switched to it. I wanted to wait until the bugs were worked out of it before I upgraded to it, thus I was waiting for service pack 1. But now I am still not so sure.

The other disturbing thing about it that Vista is power hog, If you use it straight out of the box the way it's defaulted, it'll suck away up to 40% of your processor power at all times running all of the security feature programs in the background, like the feature that restricts installations and uninstalls to be done only by the administrator (reminds me of the old MAC's and their ancient GUI interface software). This usually won't be much of a problem unless you happen to be a serious gamer and you need every ounce of processor power when you are actually gaming, (or in my case doing a lot of heavy graphics work, which would slow things down considerably), but it still can slow things down in any case. And it's a pain in the butt to get around it, because you have to go in and disable all of those power hogging TSR's one by one to get your processing power back.

So far, I'm still doing fine with XP/SP2, but I hear Microsoft might already be gearing up to put out the next OS. You know how their record goes with these things. First a good one, then a bad one, then a good one, then a bad one, then a good one (XP), then a bad one (Vista, maybe), then a good one (the next one I hope).
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    I still never found a date for SP1 on vista but to be honest I dont think im going to rush back to vista even after it comes out. It a pian im not ready to go through again if it's not fixed the problems I had.

Mike_Industries
    Things like this makes me happy I still use xp. Infact, I would only use vista if they finally fixed everything thats wrong with it. And, just out of my knowledge, aren't service packs suppose to help and make the OS more user friendly? Microsoft should hold back, and maybe fix the problem...

Just my honest opinion.

Registered User Veteran Member Ace Ian Combat's Avatar
    Heh, I just upgrade from Windows 2000 to XP, so it's gonna be a long while before I even think of upgrading again (thankfully).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I don't want to be the one the battles always choose... but inside I realize that I'm the one confused... Breaking the Habit, by Linkin Park

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    from what i know and correct me if i'm wrong but... there made to fix hardware and software compatibility issuses. Along with security issues and glitches.

Very true Cloud, that is one of the general purposes of the service packs.
    "Say the Word"

I'm only using Vista because I unexpectedly had to buy a new computer. I do find Vista to be much slower than XP, though visually Vista is prettier.

I find that cleaning up my registry helps speed, temporarily. Even after using a registry cleaner program in Vista, it seems like the next day a whole new group of "junk" registry entries appear. I never cleaned up my registry in XP, though, so I don't know if the same thing would have happened. ie. whether this is a Vista issue or a general Microsoft issue.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Cleaning up the registry is fine, but if you want to speed your computer up, go in and disable all of those extra security applications they have installed that's sucking your processor power away, and which you probably aren't using anyway. That's probably what is produicing all the 'junk" in the registry in the first place.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Cleaning up the registry is fine, but if you want to speed your computer up, go in and disable all of those extra security applications they have installed that's sucking your processor power away, and which you probably aren't using anyway. That's probably what is produicing all the 'junk" in the registry in the first place.
    I'm using something called "EndItAll," which shuts down all extraneous programs normally running in the background on my computer. I can select which programs I want to keep running; they're listed as "Protected" on my list. The rest are shut down and my computer runs faster as a result. As far as security applications are concerned, I have three: Norton Antivirus; AdAware SE Personal (anti-spyware); and ZoneAlarm Pro (both anti-virus and anti-spyware).
    My OS is, of course, Windows XP. I have no intention of switching to Vista until they work all the bugs out of it, or come up with something better. Besides, I don't think my hard drive could handle Vista; I think I'd need something bigger and more powerful.