The Trip to Chicago.
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: The Trip to Chicago.

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar

The Trip to Chicago.

And what a trip it was. Let me tell you... you haven't drove until you've drove 2000 mile without cruse control. You take little things like that for granted but I really appricated not having it but also found out I could make it all the way without it. I had my laptop and GPS hooked up to it with a power inverter so I'd have it the whole trip. There really was only to areas I needed it for. The interchange from I-64 west to I-65 North in Louisville, KY and what exit and which side it was on at I-290 in chicago. We left at about 10pm on saturday night and got in about 12:15pm sunday afternoon so I think i made pretty good time. From about midnight - 4 or 5 am I was pretty much by myself on the road and it was a new moon so it was pretty erie dark. Seening about a dozen or so deer on the side of the road didn't make me feel anymore at ease... my car doing 70mph and a deer in the road would not = a happy ending. But thank God they all stayed off the road. The same night we got in we good a pretty good snow fall... and the next day it came down. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...8/DSC00032.jpg
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...8/DSC00033.jpg
    The first big problem that came up is parking. Chicago has the streets clear during the night time so we have to park at the back of the house and with other cars already in spaces this was going to be an minor issue. Luckly the lady next door who had a 2 car garage and I knew since her son and I used to hang out when i was up there let me park in the other spot. Which was great because the way it was before that... i'd have to move my car everyday and it kept getting stuck and stalling out on the ice. That was frestrating enough to make me wanna turn back around and go home .
    Here's my grandparents next to the snow man and woman I made for them. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...8/DSC00085.jpg
    While I was up there a cousin of mine who im pretty tight with finally landed a good job. He got in the IBEW (international brotherhood of electrical workers) Union so It was good and bad. I didn't get to hang out with him much after he go the job but now he's making good money so... We went to Visit some Uncles and Aunts that were in plainfield, Il... of course that was the day we had like a high of 3 degrees with a -30 windchill... BRRR.
    Then the following day we Went to the Chicago auto show. All and all a great visit... but then it came time to go home. The that we were leaving... there was some ice and snow that fell on the route. The worse was the lake effect Indiana and the Ice in the mountains of West Virginia... a little skating on the ice but thank God I never lost control.
    http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...nt=DC00088.jpg
    Chicago... a fun place to visit but I wouldn't wanna live there. Too many pot holes

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Heh, heh.

Sounds like a nice trip, Cloud. Glad you had a good time. Nice photos you took, also. That last one of the road going into the mountains is really beautiful.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Heh, heh.

Sounds like a nice trip, Cloud. Glad you had a good time. Nice photos you took, also. That last one of the road going into the mountains is really beautiful.
    Yes. They really were breath taking. It was the first time I ever got to see the snow covered mountains. Hopefully I'll get to again someday.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Yes, very nice pictures, Cloud. And you're right about the potholes - there are far too many of them. Even out in the suburbs we've been plagued by them this winter; I can tell you that from personal experience (said the man who just shelled out $135.00 for a new tire :P).

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Yes, very nice pictures, Cloud. And you're right about the potholes - there are far too many of them. Even out in the suburbs we've been plagued by them this winter; I can tell you that from personal experience (said the man who just shelled out $135.00 for a new tire :P).
    The funny thing is a few nights ago I saw something on tv about the potholes. Chicago was the first place i've ever heard about pothole patching on the traffic reports. One things for sure... if you work doing that... you have plenty of job security during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    The funny thing is a few nights ago I saw something on tv about the potholes. Chicago was the first place i've ever heard about pothole patching on the traffic reports. One things for sure... if you work doing that... you have plenty of job security during the winter.
    True, but those guys are risking their lives patching potholes while cars and trucks are zooming by them, especially on the main thoroughfares. Believe me, they're really earning their salaries doing that, and I won't begrudge them one dime.

True, but those guys are risking their lives patching potholes while cars and trucks are zooming by them, especially on the main thoroughfares. Believe me, they're really earning their salaries doing that, and I won't begrudge them one dime.
    Heck no, I wouldn't either. I saw those people out a few times while I was up there... there work is alot more dangerous then the work I do.

Heck no, I wouldn't either. I saw those people out a few times while I was up there... there work is alot more dangerous then the work I do.
    Indeed. Getting hit by a speeding car can send you to the hospital - if you're lucky.