Gary Gygax dies at 69
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Gary Gygax dies at 69

Gary Gygax dies at 69

The co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons passed away yesterday at 69.

I think D&D was probably one of the earliest and most successful introductions of role playing games. At least, it was my first introduction to pen & paper games, and contributed to the development of computer RPGs.

In high school my friends and I used to play D&D every day after school. Fun memories, but now a little bittersweet with this sad news.

Ah, well. C'est la vie.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I have been a majorly involved AD&D player for thirty years now. As I have noted before, the game I have been involved in for those thirty years is the same one throughout, run by the same DM. We did note the passing of the original dungeon master with sadness, but we are gladdened by the legacy which he left behind.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Never played it myself, I tended towards the SPI/GDW/CoA military simulations, but knew quite a few folks who did. The success of DD benefited my end of the hobby by keeping many of the design shops alive.

I've been involved in simulation and game design, myself, so I really appreciate his accomplishment in developing a workable logical construct for a whole imaginary world. Fair winds....
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”