Any Good Movies or DVDs? - Page 42
Global Justice Alliance

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Good Movies or DVDs?

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar

Smile

Well, earlier this weekend I saw The Princess and the Frog and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'd like to comment on it, I'm just not sure about whether or not I should mark said comments with spoiler tags...

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNaco View Post
    Well, earlier this weekend I saw The Princess and the Frog and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'd like to comment on it, I'm just not sure about whether or not I should mark said comments with spoiler tags...
    Please feel free to do so, Double 'N'. The spoiler tags should be sufficient.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyojikasshu View Post
    Original release, or Director's Edition? And I may be tempted to go back through the Genesis Trilogy myself...
    It was the Director's Edition. I'm not sure if I have the original-release version on DVD or not....I'll have to double-check my inventory.

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar

Inglourious Basterds

My wife gave me this movie for our anniversary. Didn't see it in the theater (but, then again, I haven't seen anything in the theater since 2001's Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back -- nothing since has seemed worth the expense ).

I really enjoyed it. What impressed me most was how language played such a key role on the action. I also liked how Tarantino gave each scene the space it needed to develop. The opening scene is a good example, but the scene in the bar is an even better one -- that one scene was more than a half-hour long.

My favorite bit of dialogue:

Aldo: "Ulmer speaks the third best Eye-talian, so he'll be the assistant cameraman."

PFC Ulmer: "I can't speak Italian!"

Aldo: "That's what I said, third-best. Just keep your mouth shut, Ulmer. As a matter of fact, why don't you start practicing right now?"

However, the film also demonstrated how squeamish I've grown over the years. I saw Road Warrior on cable when I was ten and didn't wince once. Yet, when Brad Pitt was carving his last swastika, I couldn't help but squirm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Jay And Silent Bob had to have the best ending I've ever seen in a movie and the source of many recurrent fantasies.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Super Moderator Venerated Elder campy's Avatar
    We have Disney fans and Avatar fans here, so this seems like something GJA might be interested in:

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    We have Disney fans and Avatar fans here, so this seems like something GJA might be interested in:

[picture]

I had to roll my eyes when that white puffer thingy first landed on Neytiri's bow..... Really, Cameron? Really?!

O o
    /Ż_________________________________
    | IMMA FIRIN' MAH OVERUSED CLICHES!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    ---

(I think the above little ASCII thing above is hilarious..... How many times can I fit it into one thread? )

Anyway, though, seeing as Avatar has officially broken Titanic's all-time revenue record, Cameron now has enough money to raise the Titanic and fire it toward Pandora.

Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I suppose I'll eventually go and see Avatar just to learn what all the shouting's about....

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post

Zapp: Prepare to change course!
    Kif: Sir, this is a leisure cruise. Our path was set by the travel agency.
    Zapp: That's for schoolgirls! Now here's a route with some chest hair!
    Kif: But that course leads directly through a swarm of comets.
    Zapp: Yes, comets! The icebergs of the sky!

Anyway, I finally got around to watching Taken on DVD. Entertaining movie to say the very least. Brian Mills is one of the few characters that would make even Chuck Norris redefine his definition of bad ***.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMagic View Post
    Anyway, I finally got around to watching Taken on DVD. Entertaining movie to say the very least. Brian Mills is one of the few characters that would make even Chuck Norris redefine his definition of bad ***.
    I understand the DVD version was even more violent than the theatrical. But it was indeed very bad***. Liam Neesom's character is truly a step above.

Anyway, I went to see..... 'Avatar'......again.... Yes I know, but I simply cannot get enough of it. Also I am studying it very closely. There is another thing I've been noticing. The running length of the movie is 166 minutes, an epic length. But I will bet you you that when Cameron completed his full cut of the movie before editing, it ran as much as an hour extra. One of the problems people have had with the movie is the lack of character development. I wonder if that was what he sacrificed to get the movie down to the theatrical running length. That character development was probably secondary to the action of the movie which was needed more to tell the story. If you follow the cuts and fades from scene to scene. You can see where the storyline is abbreviated in order to keep pushing it along.

The same happened with the LOTR movies. The theatrical versions told the story well enough. It also helped that the fans pretty much knew that story inside and out. BUt the DVD versions added anywher from 30 minutes to almost an hour to each one, and made the movies much stronger.

We already know the DVD version is going to be longer. If this is the case, then if Cameron is able to add back in all of those scenes of character development, it could likely remove that fault from the picture, and make the storyline a more interesting.
    "Say the Word"