Any Good Movies or DVDs? - Page 44
Global Justice Alliance

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Good Movies or DVDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    That reminds me... I still have to get around to watching Sherlock Holmes... provided, of course, that it is still being played in theaters. If not, there's always the eventual DVD release.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I bought the DVD of the new "Get Smart" movie starring Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway yesterday ($9.99 at Best Buy!), and it is funny! I laughed so hard at that movie! They've definitely succeeded at catching the spirit of the original TV series, and transferring it to the big screen. I highly recommend this film to anyone who wants a good laugh.
    Do you think they'll make a sequel? (I hope so....)

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I bought the DVD of the new "Get Smart" movie starring Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway yesterday ($9.99 at Best Buy!), and it is funny! I laughed so hard at that movie! They've definitely succeeded at catching the spirit of the original TV series, and transferring it to the big screen. I highly recommend this film to anyone who wants a good laugh.
    I hope so. I actually enjoyed Anne Hathaway's performance more than Steve Carroll's. One of the striking things that 'chutes and I noted was that when Hathway and Carroll went undercover to the Russian mobster's house, they went in with disguises. Note how incredibly similar Anne Hathaway's dress and wig are compared to KP's dress and wig in So The Drama, when she and Ron infiltrate into the Bermuda Triangle club, and even in the Get Smart movie, we get to see Anne Hathaway sneaking around in that dress and wig inside an air conditioning duct, just like KP did!

Remarkable! Isn't it?
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    I hope so. I actually enjoyed Anne Hathaway's performance more than Steve Carroll's. One of the striking things that 'chutes and I noted was that when Hathway and Carroll went undercover to the Russian mobster's house, they went in with disguises. Note how incredibly similar Anne Hathaway's dress and wig are compared to KP's dress and wig in So The Drama, when she and Ron infiltrate into the Bermuda Triangle club, and even in the Get Smart movie, we get to see Anne Hathaway sneaking around in that dress and wig inside an air conditioning duct, just like KP did!

Remarkable! Isn't it?
    It is! I noticed the similarity in the wigs and dresses myself as I viewed the film. I wonder if they designed Anne's disguise that way on purpose, as a subtle homage to KP?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    It is! I noticed the similarity in the wigs and dresses myself as I viewed the film. I wonder if they designed Anne's disguise that way on purpose, as a subtle homage to KP?
    I don't know, but somehow it seems too coincidental for it not to be. One of these days, we gotta ask them, you know....
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    I saw "Charlie Wilson's War" last evening for my World Regions class.... I thought it was good (and it seemed to revel in its R rating ), though I think getting Tom Hanks on board seriously drained their war-scene budget... Let's just say I've seen better helicopter battles.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Full Member recon228's Avatar
    I saw "Charlie Wilson's War" last evening for my World Regions class.... I thought it was good (and it seemed to revel in its R rating )
    A great film and an amazing story... really a shame to think the theaters of war we find ourselves in today could've been partially, or perhaps entirely avoided if we'd just put a fraction of Operation Cyclone's total budget into rebuilding Afghanistan's infrastructure.... I guess the downside of fighting a completely covert war is that some of the folks you work to help don't even know it.

...I think getting Tom Hanks on board seriously drained their war-scene budget... Let's just say I've seen better helicopter battles.
    Hanks actually produced the film... it just didn't have the financial backing that the usual Michael Bay blockbusters do... so 2nd unit visual effects got the short end of the budgetary straw.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but Congressman Wilson just died last month.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by recon228 View Post
    I saw "Charlie Wilson's War" last evening for my World Regions class.... I thought it was good (and it seemed to revel in its R rating )
    A great film and an amazing story... really a shame to think the theaters of war we find ourselves in today could've been partially, or perhaps entirely avoided if we'd just put a fraction of Operation Cyclone's total budget into rebuilding Afghanistan's infrastructure....
    It got a little heavy-handed in that regard near the end, but it was still good.

Hanks actually produced the film... it just didn't have the financial backing that the usual Michael Bay blockbusters do... so 2nd unit visual effects got the short end of the budgetary straw.
    I didn't know Hanks made the film... So he paid himself?
    But, yeah, the mujaheddin firing their RPGs reminded me of the Ewoks. That, and the low quality of the helicopter effects (can you say sound stage, backdrop, and over-bright lighting?) made the 400 or so college students packed into the auditorium giggle a bit... And happy cries of "BOOBIES!" were common. I did enjoy the stock footage....
    But watching those sections did feel a little odd - we're cheering on the ragtag bunch to take on the Evil Russians, laughing at their praying-to-their-rifles antics.... But at the very back of the mind, there's a little voice that says, 'Um, we just gave another RPG to Osama bin Laden.'

Also, not sure if you're aware, but Congressman Wilson just died last month.
    Yeah, I'd heard. That was one reason I was interested to see the movie.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Full Member recon228's Avatar
    ...watching those sections did feel a little odd - we're cheering on the ragtag bunch to take on the Evil Russians, laughing at their praying-to-their-rifles antics.... But at the very back of the mind, there's a little voice that says, 'Um, we just gave another RPG to Osama bin Laden.'
    Yup... and yet back then, that wasn't a bad thing. The enemies of our enemies... you know how that tends to work out. Now the remnants of the Taliban and al Qaeda have Stinger missiles and CIA training... Iran has F-14 Tomcat fighters... and more than one Evergreen flight full of US bought AKs have been "lost" and ended up in various regions of Africa.

As Ron would likely say, "covert military operations: they're a cornucopia of disturbing concepts".

Another film I'd recommend to you, 'chutes, is Lord of War... it's a semi-nonfiction account of international black- and gray-market arms trafficking.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar

Post Heaven's Gate

I just finished watching the notorious Heaven's Gate (1980). No where near as bad as its reputation suggests. That said, it is not a misunderstood masterpiece. It's a bit of a mess. There are good aspects (the rollerskating dance, Isabella Huppert's performance, the wonderful scenery, Christopher Walken's showing off his 'wallpaper,' a couple of choice scenes by Mr. Kristofferson) to be sure. But, overall, it just doesn't gel. The prologue and the epilogue really don't add anything but length, the immigrants are not given enough meaningful screen time for the audience to care about them, the climatic battle scene is confusing and Peckinpah-bloody without the gravity that Peckinpah usually brought to his gorier scenes, and then there is the remarkably terrible performance by Sam Waterston(!).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace