Doctor Who
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Registered User Veteran Member Cody MacArthur Fett's Avatar

Doctor Who

Need I say more? This is a thread to talk about the longest running science fiction in the world (You can tell it's old because I said science fiction and not sci-fi). The Doctors, his companions, the spinoffs, and the many many adventures therein. Enjoy.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    My brothers and I started watching Doctor Who back in the early 80's, when the local PBS station showed the Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee episodes on Sunday nights. Even our dad got into Doctor Who after a while. He preferred Jon Pertwee's Doctor, however, because Pertwee's Doctor was more of a "take-charge," serious kind of guy. Dad didn't think much of Baker's Doctor; he thought Baker was a buffoon.

I have fond memories of watching Doctor Who -- BBC was the only English language channel I received in Austria. Beggars can't be choosers. :P

Peter Davison is my favorite Doctor Who actor. Perhaps because he was the first I saw. I also liked Christopher Eccleston, and disappointed he only stayed one season.

I wonder what triggered the demise of each Doctor -- poor ratings, maybe?
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Doctor Who is actually my favorite TV show right now!

I started watching with my mother about a summer ago, toward the beginning of Christopher Eccleston's work as The Doctor (thank you for re-runs, BBC and Sci-Fi), since then, I have watched all three seasons, and am watching season 4 once a week now. I have also offically started watching Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

So, yeah, I'm Who crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    I have fond memories of watching Doctor Who -- BBC was the only English language channel I received in Austria. Beggars can't be choosers. :P

Peter Davison is my favorite Doctor Who actor. Perhaps because he was the first I saw. I also liked Christopher Eccleston, and disappointed he only stayed one season.

No, the actors grew tired of the role and wanted out. The writers came up with the whole regeneration angle to explain why the Doctor's appearance kept changing (and it freed the casting director from having to search far and wide for someone who looked like the actor who left).

Registered User Veteran Member Cody MacArthur Fett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post

No, the actors grew tired of the role and wanted out. The writers came up with the whole regeneration angle to explain why the Doctor's appearance kept changing (and it freed the casting director from having to search far and wide for someone who looked like the actor who left).
    That, and it opened up new and exciting ways to kill characters off without any uproar from the fans.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Tom Baker was and still is my favorite Doctor. I've seen a couple of episodes of the current run. So far it hasn't drawn me in the way the old series did.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Tom Baker was and still is my favorite Doctor. I've seen a couple of episodes of the current run. So far it hasn't drawn me in the way the old series did.
    Yeah, ol' Tom was quite a Doctor, wasn't he? IIRC, he was even married to one of his co-stars for a while - Lalla Ward, the first actress to play Romana, a female Time Lord (Time Lady?).

They're showing a new episode this coming Friday on SciFi channel. The promo talks about how the Doctor's trying to stop a war somewhere, and gets help "from an unexpected source." Then they show a young, shapely blond woman step out of a portal (door?) and address the Doctor: "Hello, Dad."
    - How's that for a plot twist?

For those interested, apparently the bbc uploaded some documents pertaining to the early days of Dr. Who.

From the article describing the documents, a description of Dr. Who:

"A frail old man lost in space and time. They give him this name because they don't know who he is. He seems not to remember where he has come from: he is suspicious and capable of sudden malignance; he seems to have some undefined enemy; he is searching for something as well as fleeing from something. He has a 'machine' which enables them to travel together through time, through space and through matter." --bbc.co.uk
    They first wanted to make the Tardis invisible! I can't imagine the show without the police box/phone booth.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?