Deadliest Catch - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 131

Thread: Deadliest Catch

  1. #11
    Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake,Va
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    I just saw the best of seasons 1 and 2. It's interesting-in season 1 the only boats I recognized was the Northwestern and the Time Bandit (I think), at least for the first half. Most of the boats were ones I'd never heard of.

    And I never knew the guy from Dirty Jobs was the narrator.
    Yeah, few boats have gone through all the seasons... If you didn't see them say, there's really no extra room for the camera men on the boats so, they have to sleep anywhere they can. I guess some boats can deal with it and some can't. I think Mike Rowes been doing a good job narrating in my book.
    Yes, Mike Rowe has an excellent voice for narration work. He could make a whole career out of that if he wanted to. (Personally, I'd rather narrate than do what he does on "Dirty Jobs." There isn't enough money in the world to pay me for working the jobs he has on that show, even for just one day. Yecch!)
    Yeah... that's a show that almost anytime that i'm eating... there's no way it can stay on for long. I hope he make good money for what he has to go through.

  2. #12
    Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake,Va
    Posts
    1,437
    New Episode tomorrow night. I think this is probably going to be the last King crab episode for this season.

    Hey, TWD... What's your feelings on when they ended the derby style crabbing and went to the quota system? I know the intentions of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game was to make things safer for the fisherman but... over half the of the fleet was out of work. I hate to see hard working people loose their jobs but then again... it's worse to see them be killed.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    I just saw the best of seasons 1 and 2. It's interesting-in season 1 the only boats I recognized was the Northwestern and the Time Bandit (I think), at least for the first half. Most of the boats were ones I'd never heard of.

    And I never knew the guy from Dirty Jobs was the narrator.
    Yeah, few boats have gone through all the seasons... If you didn't see them say, there's really no extra room for the camera men on the boats so, they have to sleep anywhere they can. I guess some boats can deal with it and some can't. I think Mike Rowes been doing a good job narrating in my book.
    Yes, Mike Rowe has an excellent voice for narration work. He could make a whole career out of that if he wanted to. (Personally, I'd rather narrate than do what he does on "Dirty Jobs." There isn't enough money in the world to pay me for working the jobs he has on that show, even for just one day. Yecch!)
    Dirty Jobs is funny. Mike is a good host-as well as a good narrator. Did anyone see the episode where he was cod fishing (from Dutch Harbor)? That was so gross, one of the worst I've ever seen. The guys kept throwing up out of sea sickness. And they also decided to eat weird parts of the fish...

    Back on topic: I'm excited for the new episode. It's a good way to relax (sort of) before bed. Just watch a show about dangerous crab fishing and dream about...dangerous crab fishing. :P
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

  4. #14
    Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake,Va
    Posts
    1,437
    It's going to be intresting to see how things on the Northwestern go...with that fight... I feel like there's going to be a shake-up in the crew before the opilio crab (aka Snow crab) season. I'm not sure Jake and Matt can coexist on the same boat after what happened.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    It's going to be intresting to see how things on the Northwestern go...with that fight... I feel like there's going to be a shake-up in the crew before the opilio crab (aka Snow crab) season. I'm not sure Jake and Matt can coexist on the same boat after what happened.
    That fight was pretty interesting. Matt just totally lost control, but they sort of settled it in the end. That's dangerous though and it's lucky they weren't in a really bad storm while that happened.

    Next week's episode apparently has really big waves on the Northwestern. It's still King Crab season, though (for next week).
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

  6. #16
    Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake,Va
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    Next week's episode apparently has really big waves on the Northwestern. It's still King Crab season, though (for next week).
    I guess due to the shows popularity... they're doing more episodes this season then last... which is cool with me. But seeing as season one only had 2-3 episodes on king crab and a total of 10 for the whole seson. Things have changed big time over time.

  7. #17
    Didn't Season One's king crab season only last a few days,though? Now it's a few weeks, which probably would explain more episodes.

    I'm watching a season 3 episode now...
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

  8. #18
    Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake,Va
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    Didn't Season One's king crab season only last a few days,though? Now it's a few weeks, which probably would explain more episodes.
    Ture. But even now that they have so much more time to catch the crab and catch footage... season 2 and 3 have only produced 12 acutal episodes per season (not counting the specials). Season 4 looks to be 11 episodes?

  9. #19
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud23465 View Post
    New Episode tomorrow night. I think this is probably going to be the last King crab episode for this season.

    Hey, TWD... What's your feelings on when they ended the derby style crabbing and went to the quota system? I know the intentions of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game was to make things safer for the fisherman but... over half the of the fleet was out of work. I hate to see hard working people loose their jobs but then again... it's worse to see them be killed.
    To be honest, I have no opinion on it one way or another. I really don't know all that much about crab fishing, other than what I've learned from watching this show. I'm still not sure how long the season lasts for each kind of crab - Red King, Opilio (sp?), or Brown King. I didn't even know Brown King crab existed, let alone how they fished for them, until this season.
    I'll tell you this much: Watching "Deadliest Catch" has sparked my curiosity about crab fishing, and I'd like to learn more about it. However, I'm not about to go sign up as a deckhand on one of those boats - the work's too grueling; the hours are long; and I'm too old to try that sort of thing. I turn 50 at the end of this coming November, and it's like the captain of the Wizard said the other day - "This is a young man's game." And he was discussing his 35-year-old greenhorn, that fellow named Moi (pronounced "MOY") who was falling to pieces on his first voyage as a deckhand. No, first-hand research like that is definitely out for me; I prefer to learn about it in the comfort of my home or the local library.

  10. #20
    Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake,Va
    Posts
    1,437
    In 2004, the last derby season and the first season of dealiest catch... the red king crab season only lasted 4 days! The Red King crab season now can be up to 6 weeks im guessing. According to some charts from ADFG Reds are from mid to end of September and mid to the end of October.
    Opilio are fished from mid Jaunuary to the end of May. I've seen the Opilio season around 2 weeks in 2004 as well.. The fleet size went from around 250 in 2004 to around 90 in 2005.

    Here's that chart from Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
    www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/geninfo/pubs/seasons/season_1.pdf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •