Deadliest Catch - Page 5
Global Justice Alliance

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadliest Catch

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    The season finale's this Tuesday night. It looks like it's going to be good - storms hit the fleet as they race to fill their quotas before the opilio season ends.
    I also enjoy watching that spin-off series, "After The Catch," where the crab boat skippers sit around a table with Mike Rowe and discuss life as a fisherman.
    I missed it! I don't know how, exactly, but I missed it. I saw the episodes before (except the one directly before the finale).

As for "After the Catch" I do find it enjoyable, though not as entertaining as the actual show. It's a good "behind-the-scenes" sort of thing, like a commentary on the show. I like that sort of thing. If I'm not tired I'll watch it (since it comes on at 10 where I am I might be tired sometimes).
    I taped it last night while doing my laundry. I'll watch it tomorrow night when I get a chance. In fact, I recorded both "Deadliest Catch" and "After the Catch."

I'll need to check my schedule to see if it comes on again...and then record it. In the mean time, I'll content myself with re-runs.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

I finally watched the season finale. What an ordeal it's been for those guys - especially Phil and his boys on the Cornelia Marie. I won't spoil it for you, GoTeamGirl, but suffice it to say Phil's health sitch puts his future as a crab fisherman in serious jeopardy - he reveals more details about it in the finale.
    They spent eight weeks fishing for opilio crab this year - from mid-January to mid-March; I'm still not sure how long king crab season is.
    All I know is, it's not something I'd like to try. For one thing, I'm way too old to do something like that. Crab fishing in the Bering Sea in the dead of winter is definitely a young man's job. For another, even if I were 30 years younger, I don't think I could keep the long hours they do - going 24 or 36 hours a stretch, hauling in crab pots, emptying & sorting them, then setting pots back out again - without a break. That's grueling work. You really have to want to do something like that; it's not a job you can take on a whim. Once you're on that boat and out to sea, you can't just quit and go home if you don't like it. You're stuck out there until they head back to port to off-load.
    EDIT: (I posted a variation on this last paragraph back on May 15, so I apologize if I'm being redundant. My bad... )

That doesn't sound good. I was wondering about Phil. Now I really have to see this.

I couldn't do anything like that either. It would be so hard and grueling and miserable. I would need to enjoy it somewhat in order to do it for a living.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Sorry for the double post, but on an interesting note: I was on a trip to Rhode Island this weekend and we ate at this seafood buffet place called the Nordic Lodge. On a table they had autographed pictures of Sig and Edgar of the Northwestern because apparently they had eaten there. Edgar had written on his "Best food ever!" (or something very close to that). And it was good food. The king crabs were great...

Sorry for the double post, but on an interesting note: I was on a trip to Rhode Island this weekend and we ate at this seafood buffet place called the Nordic Lodge. On a table they had autographed pictures of Sig and Edgar of the Northwestern because apparently they had eaten there. Edgar had written on his "Best food ever!" (or something very close to that). And it was good food. The king crabs were great...
    Wow! Now that's cool! Eating in a restaurant where some of the "Deadliest Catch" guys ate! Only thing cooler would be to actually meet someone featured on the show!
    One of the main reasons I got into watching "Deadliest Catch" is the fact that I like eating crab meat myself. So when I first heard about this show, I was curious about how crab was caught so I tuned in. I've been hooked (no fishing puns intended) ever since.
    EDIT: Oh, and don't worry about having made a double post. It's only if you do one post after the other on the same day that we'd consider it as such. Since your two posts were a week apart, you didn't double.

That's good then.

It would have been awesome to meet some of the guys. I was thrilled that they had been there, though. And they approved of it. It was a great surprise.

That's good then.

It would have been awesome to meet some of the guys. I was thrilled that they had been there, though. And they approved of it. It was a great surprise.
    I've often wondered, myself, if crab fishermen (or any fishermen, for that matter) ate what they caught, or if they avoided eating it because they grew tired of it after a while.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    That's good then.

I've often wondered, myself, if crab fishermen (or any fishermen, for that matter) ate what they caught, or if they avoided eating it because they grew tired of it after a while.
    Maybe, but to be honest I would find it hard to get tired of good lobster. *YUM!*
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    That's good then.

Maybe, but to be honest I would find it hard to get tired of good lobster. *YUM!*
    I know what you mean. I favor crab meat myself.