What would you say was the height of Kim Possible's popularity?
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you say was the height of Kim Possible's popularity?

Registered User Full Member

What would you say was the height of Kim Possible's popularity?

Personally, if I had to guess, I'd say sometime during Season 2, though I'll admit that it's only a guess on my part.

(By way of explanation, I haven't been part of the fandom for that long, so I don't have any idea myself. You see, although I started watching the show during Season Two or Three (I forget which), after a while I stopped watching it because the Disney Channel would play a handfull of episodes in heavy rotation and rarely play any others. I actually found out about So the Drama and season four on the Wikipedia article, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I started really getting interested in the show either in December 2006 or January 2007 (I forget which). Sometime in that window, I first followed the link in the Wikipedia article to the ARA. I kept up with the ARA for a time, until the link was removed. (Since I was using a libary computer, not having internet access at the time, I couldn't bookmark the site, and I never bothered to write the link down. Furthermore, attempts to find it using the search engine didn't yield anything, so I was cut off.) After getting the cable, phone, and internet service restored in March (long story), I entered "Alternate Reality Association" into the search engine, and found the GJA.)

Sorry the explanation was so long.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    I'd guess around the end of season 2, that seemed to be when the show was aired most often and the most merchandise was available. I'm unsure whether there was an actual decline in popularity or if it was merely a change in the Disney business plan that withdrew support from the show. I somewhat suspect the latter since there have been a number of shows that declined when their networks placed them on chaotic air schedules. Unfortunately animated shows don't have as extensive a secondary or tertiary marketing potential as do the live action "teen/tween rockstar" shows. I don't subscribe to the Disney-hates-Kim-Possible mythology in view of the numbers of Disney executives, included the oft maligned Robert Eisner, who have continued to praise the show. I think that the company simply changed direction and, unfortunately, Kim wasn't part of it.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    I think that the company simply changed direction...
    ...And, to us die-hard fans of something called "quality," stepped off a cliff...

Mr. B - Quite a journey there! I'm glad we've captured Google's ARA link. Have you read the forum introduction?
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Mr. B - Quite a journey there! I'm glad we've captured Google's ARA link. Have you read the forum introduction?
    Yes, I read that not long after finding the site. To be honest, the crap that was going on at the ARA might have beeen the reason the link was removed. Then again, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Birthday View Post
    Yes, I read that not long after finding the site. To be honest, the crap that was going on at the ARA might have beeen the reason the link was removed. Then again, maybe not.
    To clarify, I meant the link on the Wikipedia article.

So, how many posts do I need to be able to edit my posts?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    To clarify, I meant the link on the Wikipedia article.

So, how many posts do I need to be able to edit my posts?
    Just make it to the next level at 20 posts and you'll pick that privilege up.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    I'd guess around the end of season 2, that seemed to be when the show was aired most often and the most merchandise was available. I'm unsure whether there was an actual decline in popularity or if it was merely a change in the Disney business plan that withdrew support from the show. I somewhat suspect the latter since there have been a number of shows that declined when their networks placed them on chaotic air schedules. Unfortunately animated shows don't have as extensive a secondary or tertiary marketing potential as do the live action "teen/tween rockstar" shows. I don't subscribe to the Disney-hates-Kim-Possible mythology in view of the numbers of Disney executives, included the oft maligned Robert Eisner, who have continued to praise the show. I think that the company simply changed direction and, unfortunately, Kim wasn't part of it.
    I'd have to say I agree with lunchmeat here. I do remember seeing the most KP merchandise in the stores in 2003; after that it began to disappear off the shelves and not be replenished. Yet, I don't know if Disney changed direction so much as they moved on to "the next big thing." Their marketing people may have pushed them to focus their attention on the new shows that premiered after KP did. After a year or two, they may have come to see KP as "old hat" and decided to promote something new - that's a failing that many network executives have been prey to throughout the history of television. As a result, a lot of good programs have died an early death.
    BTW, Mr. Eisner's first name was Michael. Just thought I'd point that out.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    I keep tansposing Eisner and Eiger's first names, problem with having two people whose names are very similar having had the same job.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Registered User Newbie

When mainstream spoofed the title

I remembered when The Daily Show used the "KiM Possible" logo to explain news on Kim Jong-Il in May 2005 and from the audiences laughter I guess Season 2 did mark a milestone in it's popularity.

Here's a link to that video!
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...es-north-korea

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bttf4ever View Post
    I remembered when The Daily Show used the "KiM Possible" logo to explain news on Kim Jong-Il in May 2005 and from the audiences laughter I guess Season 2 did mark a milestone in it's popularity.

Here's a link to that video!
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...es-north-korea
    I remember that! That was kind of funny. Good to hear from you again, bttf4ever!
    "Say the Word"