What would you say was the height of Kim Possible's popularity? - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you say was the height of Kim Possible's popularity?

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bttf4ever View Post
    I remembered when The Daily Show used the "KiM Possible" logo to explain news on Kim Jong-Il in May 2005 and from the audiences laughter I guess Season 2 did mark a milestone in it's popularity.

Here's a link to that video!
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...es-north-korea
    I remember that! That was kind of funny. Good to hear from you again, bttf4ever!
    I do too! I wonder if Stewart was/is a fan of the show? (Kinda embarrassing he didn't know it was on DC, though.)

Welcome back, bttf4ever!
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

I'd also agree that the height was midway through the second season, which continued on until the season ended. A lot of excitement was generated by the 'collectable card game' featured on the website. Another factor was the show's appearance on ABC. The third factor was that a substantial amount of (cruddy) merchandise was appearing at Wal Mart. Added to the flood of quality episodes coming out, and it is no wonder the show was quite the hit, despite the mis-marketing to pre-teens.

My own personal opinion is that the programmers and marketers at Disney were unable to deal with the fact that the show was different in many ways from their previous offerings. The high quality, for one. Sorry, but IMHO most of Disney's TV output is formulaic schlock, only partially redeemed by the amazing skill they have at dredging up new talent.

To the Disney marketeers, an entertainment entity can only be marketed by Disney to girls if it has a princess in it. That's their view of the world in a nutshell. Disney itself never produced, for its USA market, anything except incidental KP merchandise. It farmed the real rights out because Kimmie is not a Princess.

A show generates merchandise, which can then sustain the show. By farming out KP merchandising to the ultimate dealer of schlock, Wal Mart, Disney guaranteed that there would be no sustenance of the show from store items. They have also hideously damaged the long-term cult status of the show. KP needs quality memorabilia, which will evidently never appear due to its unfortuante association with Wal Mart, and the toy designers that monstrosity deals with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncnu View Post
    I'd also agree that the height was midway through the second season, which continued on until the season ended. A lot of excitement was generated by the 'collectable card game' featured on the website. Another factor was the show's appearance on ABC. The third factor was that a substantial amount of (cruddy) merchandise was appearing at Wal Mart. Added to the flood of quality episodes coming out, and it is no wonder the show was quite the hit, despite the mis-marketing to pre-teens.

My own personal opinion is that the programmers and marketers at Disney were unable to deal with the fact that the show was different in many ways from their previous offerings. The high quality, for one. Sorry, but IMHO most of Disney's TV output is formulaic schlock, only partially redeemed by the amazing skill they have at dredging up new talent.

To the Disney marketeers, an entertainment entity can only be marketed by Disney to girls if it has a princess in it. That's their view of the world in a nutshell. Disney itself never produced, for its USA market, anything except incidental KP merchandise. It farmed the real rights out because Kimmie is not a Princess.

A show generates merchandise, which can then sustain the show. By farming out KP merchandising to the ultimate dealer of schlock, Wal Mart, Disney guaranteed that there would be no sustenance of the show from store items. They have also hideously damaged the long-term cult status of the show. KP needs quality memorabilia, which will evidently never appear due to its unfortuante association with Wal Mart, and the toy designers that monstrosity deals with.
    Well, then.... ......we'll just have to make her a princess, won't we.........
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ncnu View Post
    Sorry, but IMHO most of Disney's TV output is formulaic schlock, only partially redeemed by the amazing skill they have at dredging up new talent.
    True. (And what is it with those cheesy VFX in live action shows? You'd think that a company as rich as Disney could afford some decent visuals. )

Just thinking about that, and the whole "Princess" thing, reminded me of the climax in "Enchanted," when the evil queen-turned-dragon sees the princess coming to rescue the dad and saying "Well this is new" (or words to that effect.) Sorry, it's not new. I've watched Kim Possible. I've seen Rose in ADJL, and the Cola Cult episode of Rescue Rangers. Action heroines are not new to me.

(Though I'd thought it be great if, during "Enchanted"'s climax, Rose were to slay Narissa (the evil queen) with a shot behind the left ear, followed by Jake flying up to the tower complaining about "reinforcing stereotypes." But I digress.)

"I already told you, I am NOT marrying Prince Wally!"

Though I do remember Disney giving KP a lot more press in such when I became a fan back in the summer of 2005. Those were the days ... you had your choice between the DC or TD afternoon episode of KP, and once a week there was a mini-marathon of KP episodes on the latter channel. Now, KP's not on except around midnight on Disney Channel, and there still is a mini-marathon on Toon Disney, but the latter is only three eps (not that that's bad) and 99+% of the time consists solely of S4 episodes
    Methinks the suits at Disney would prefer if we became fans of their other shows...

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNaco View Post
    Methinks the suits at Disney would prefer if we became fans of their other shows...
    True, but when I said we'll just have to make her a princess............I had something else in mind............................let's just say I'm not at liberty to divulge that............just yet..............(heh, heh, heh, heh......)
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNaco View Post

"I already told you, I am NOT marrying Prince Wally!"
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    All of a sudden, the title for a spin-off series popped into my head:
    "Kim Possible: Warrior Princess."

I just couldn't resist...

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post

Ooooooooohhhhhhh...............:P................with Gabrielle as a sidekick? I don't think so......:P
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post

Ooooooooohhhhhhh...............:P................with Gabrielle as a sidekick? I don't think so......:P

Gabrielle? Of course not! Ron and Rufus - who else? (Of course, everyone knows Rufus is a better swordsman than Ron; but we won't tell Ron that - it'd only bruise his ego... :P)

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    You have just given me a ghastly mental image of Ron in a leather bustier......
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”