Service Interruption
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Service Interruption

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar

Service Interruption

I sent out an email to everyone, but I'm not sure it actually got sent, so I am posting this announcement to let everyone know what happened.

To all members of the Global Justice Alliance,

At approximately 5:00 PM CDT, on May 31, 2008, there was an explosion and large fire at the main building of the server company that houses the server for the GJA. The cause of the explosion was a faulty battery backup system. This explosion and large fire destroyed the power supplies and internet connections for about 9000 of the 38,000 servers that the company runs. The fire department had to be called out and put the blaze out, and then certify the safety of the building. The company has since then worked hard all weekend to restore service which was accomplished early this morning.

The GJA is now back up and running. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Jeriddian

Administrator of GJA.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Well, I'm happy to say that it's working OK now. We're indeed lucky that all we got from this incident was the minor inconvenience of not being able to post for a day. It could have been a lot worse.

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Wow.

I certainly hope nobody was hurt in that explosion.

I'm glad the site's back up, though. Without it yesterday, I ended up wasting a whole lot more time on Wikipedia than I intended... and my eyes ended up like , except more bloodshot.

Registered User Senior Member Ran Hakubi's Avatar
    Ah, its good to be back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, in fact, I did have Mario bed sheets

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Wow.

I'm glad the site's back up, though. Without it yesterday, I ended up wasting a whole lot more time on Wikipedia than I intended... and my eyes ended up like , except more bloodshot.
    Fortunately, no one was injured, according to reports.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Wow.

Fortunately, no one was injured, according to reports.
    That's good to know. And like I said before, all that happened was the minor inconvenience of not being able to access the forum for a day. Although the old saying is true: You don't know what you've got - or really appreciate it - until it's gone (even if it's just for 24 hours).

It's great that no one was injured.

I thought it was something else, but when I got the e-mail and saw explosion I nearly jumped out of my chair. Talk about unexpected!
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who