Spam invades inboxes
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Spam invades inboxes

Spam invades inboxes

There was an interesting article at bbc.co.uk the other day.

An experiment by the computer security company McAffee found that surfing the web unprotected for a month will leave the average surfer 70 spam e-mails per day.

One study participant received 5,414 spam messages during the trial. McAffee invited 50 people around the world to particpate in their study. Participants in the United States fared the worst, receiving a total of 23,233 spam e-mails during the one month trial.

"The results show that spam is showing no signs of slowing down, although the opposite can be said of those receiving messages.

"Many of our participants noticed that their computers were slowing down. This means that while they were surfing, unbeknownst to them, websites were installing malware," said Guy Roberts, director of McAfee's labs in Europe.

Some 8% of the total spam received during the experiment was classified as phishing e-mails - messages that pose as a trustworthy source as a way of getting sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and bank account details." -- bbc.co.uk
    From the article:

Number of spam messages received:
    1. US - 23,233
    2. Brazil - 15,856
    3. Italy - 15,610
    4. Mexico - 12,229
    5. UK - 11,965
    6. Australia - 9,214
    7. The Netherlands - 6,378
    8. Spain - 5,419
    9. France - 2,597
    10. Germany - 2,331

*Data supplied by McAfee

Top ten most common spam categories:
    1. Advertisements
    2. Financial
    3. Health and medicine
    4. Adult services
    5. Free stuff
    6. Education
    7. IT related
    8. Money making
    9. Credit cards
    10. Watch adverts

*Data supplied by McAfee
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Hmmm, I'm glad I've got McAfee's Security Center, then. (Free to Comcast customers! )
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    I guess my service must be doing OK, then. Wonder how Dr. Gen. Mubutu is doing these days and if ever got somebody to hold the Nigerian treasury for him.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Whoa, word confusion - when I looked at this topic title from the GJA main page, my brain combined the title with the last poster - Lunchmeat - to become "Spam invades Lunchboxes."

Ahhhh! Say it ain't so! :P
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I've been getting lots of spam in my e-mail lately - mostly in the categories of "Health and medicine," and "Watch adverts." The "Health" spams have to do with offers to improve my (ahem) "love life," if you know what I mean; while the watch ads have to do with offering me imitation designer wrist-watches.
    I don't even bother to read them; I just delete 'em all. At least all I'm wasting is a few minutes of my time, but boy, what a nuisance they are....

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    My spam gets filtered out in my Earthlink accounts. In fact, I've got strict filtering on, so that only those e-mailers I've actively approved are allowed in my inbox. The items filling up the "suspect" folders these days are few and far between.

My Yahoo e-mail account, on the other hand, fills up with spam regularly. I pretty much never use it for e-mail anymore anyway.

Finally, I haven't seen any spam through my Comcast addresses yet.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    My spam gets filtered out in my Earthlink accounts. In fact, I've got strict filtering on, so that only those e-mailers I've actively approved are allowed in my inbox. The items filling up the "suspect" folders these days are few and far between.

My Yahoo e-mail account, on the other hand, fills up with spam regularly. I pretty much never use it for e-mail anymore anyway.

Finally, I haven't seen any spam through my Comcast addresses yet.
    I've got one address I use anytime I'm on a web site that asks for one, and I don't want to go with something totally bogus, like me@my.isp. I eventually stopped logging in to it because I was getting 100+ spam mails every couple of days.

I use different e-mail addresses for different categories -- family, friends, business, etc. I have a "junk" e-mail that I never check; it's only if a site requires an e-mail address, and if I don't plan on visiting again or if I don't want to receive e-mails.

Still, this didn't help me when I ended up having to discard a private e-mail I only used for friends - a friend in Hong Kong must have been infected because her address was spamming me 10-20 times a day.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?