General KP Thread 10; Even More Kimness
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: General KP Thread 10; Even More Kimness

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar

General KP Thread 10; Even More Kimness

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNaco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Yep. The casting of the background characters suffered a lot of inconsistencies of this nature for the sake of expediency.
    True, but then you can have fun making theories to reconcile the inconsistency.

For example, the freckled brunette is both in Ron's only-1-senior health class and graduates in "Graduation." How to reconcile the two? Turns out there's two freckled brunettes - identical twins. One twin, however, for some reason, has mental problems and thus her learning abilities and whatnot have been retarded by a number of years, and thus she is at the level of a high school freshman at the age where her "normal" sister is a senior.
    This must be the case for Jessica as well. In "Grande Size Me," she seems to be in Ron's health class, and she's clearly a senior.

There's also the Smashmouth appearance at MHS, which featured multiple copies of several background characters. (I believe there was a thread about this at another forum once upon a time.)

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar
    Ah, but that's only a view from the back. It could simply be a freshman who looks like Jessica...

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I've been watching the Seaon KP episodes in German, which is really neat. I get to hear the German VA's put their own cultural spin on the character voices, especially how they portray Drakken and Ron and Rufus. It's certainly different, but I can see how the series works well in that language just as much as in English, which is a credit to the German performers. I decided to try and translate the German Titles to the episodes, which is also kind of interesting....

English Title...........................German Title..............................Translation.... ...............................................Exp ert Translation

Crush...................................Schwer Verknallt.................................Heavily Slams............................................. (Heavy) Crush
    Sink or Swim..........................Wiedersehen in Camp Heimweh.............See you Again in Camp Homesickness
    The New Ron........................Der Neue Ron......................................The New Ron
    Tick-Tick-Tick.......................Zecken-Alarm........................................Tick Alarm
    Downhill..................................Mutanten jago Im Schnee.......................Hunt for Mutants in the Snow
    Bueno Nacho.........................Wahnsinn Zahlt Sich Nicht Aus................Insanity Does Not Pay Off
    Number One...........................Die Nummer Eins.................................The Number One
    Mind Games...........................Gehirnakrobatik... ................................Brain Acrobatics
    Attack of the Killer Bebe's.........Späte Rache.....................................Late Revenge
    Royal Pain..............................Der Kleine Prinz....................................The Little Prince
    Coach Possible........................Kim Wird Trainerrin..............................Kim Becomes a Trainer
    Pain KIng Versus Cleopatra........Kleopatras Talisman.............................Cleopatra's Talisman
    Monkey Fist Strikes..................Ein AffenZirkus....................................A Monkey Circus
    October 31st..........................Halloween........... ................................Halloween
    All The News...........................Sensationsmeldungen .........................Sensation Messages....................................Sensat ional News
    Kimitation Nation......................Die Klonarmee ..................................The Clone Army
    The Twin Factor.......................Der Zwillingsfaktor..............................The Twin Factor
    Animal Attraction.....................Der Schockfroster...............................The Quick Freeze.......................................The Shock Freezer
    Monkey Ninjas in Space.............Ninja-Affen Im All...............................Ninja Monkeys in the Universe.......................Ninja Monkeys in Space
    Ron the Man............................Ein Ganzer Kerl..................................A Bigger Chap
    Low Budget.............................Billig Währt Am Längston.....................Cheap lasts at that along tone......................Frugality is the Best Policy

They are all fairly explanatory although I had trouble with a couple of them. The German title "Crush" turns out literally as "Heavily Slams", although I have a feeling in German slang it is equivalent to "Crush", which certainly makes sense. Changing "Bueno Nacho" to "Insanity does not pay off", I thought was hilarious. The literal translation of "All The News" probably is meant to indicate "Sensational News" or something like that. And "Low Budget"...........I have no idea except maybe it means Being cheap is here to stay or someting like that......

EDIT: Now with better translations in certain cases, thanks to san.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Bueno Nacho.........................Wahnsinn Zahlt Sich Nicht Aus................Insanity Does Not Pay Off

Ron the Man............................Ein Ganzer Kerl...................................A Bigger Chap
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Registered User Full Member san's Avatar
    They are all fairly explanatory although I had trouble with a couple of them. The German title "Crush" turns out literally as "Heavily Slams", although I have a feeling in German slang it is equivalent to "Crush", which certainly makes sense. Changing "Bueno Nacho" to "Insanity does not pay off", I thought was hilarious. The literal translation of "All The News" probably is meant to indicate "Sensational News" or something like that. And "Low Budget"...........I have no idea except maybe it means Being cheap is here to stay or someting like that......

ok, what did you use to translate that?

maybe i can clear up some things.

English Title...........................German Title..............................Translation

Crush...................................Schwer Verknallt.................................Heavily Slams

that's just wrong. but your feeling is right that "verknallt sein" means "to have a crush". as for a translation i would recommend (heavy) crush.

Animal Attraction.....................Der Schockfroster...............................The Quick Freezer

maybe better with "the shock freezer"

Monkey Ninjas in Space.............Ninja-Affen Im All...............................Ninja Monkeys in the Universe

well space usually translates to "der Weltraum", but the "das All" means actually the same. probably was to long for the title.

Low Budget.............................Billig Währt Am Längston.....................Cheap lasts at that along tone

"Billig währt am längsten" is actually a word play on "Ehrlich währt am längsten" (honesty is the best policy, well i hope that's the right one in english). if it works in english too, i'd suggest "cheap is the best policy"

as for the rest, that works. well that were just the most obvious ones

Thanks, san,

I appreciate the expert advice. I used Babelfish and one of the other translater programs (I think it's called SDL), which are crude at best, but I didn't feel like paying for better service. I knew that I was going to be misled a little with those automatic translators, so I had to think about the titles that just didn't make sense. I knew that they were going to be literal translations which were not taking a slang like usage or, as you say, a play on words into account, so I had to play with the translators.

For example, if I put in "Gehirnakrobatik", it wouldn't even translate it, giving me the same word back without translation. So I looked at it closely as I knew German often combined word forms together, a trait which English has copied to a certain extent (and after all English does derive a large part of its origin from Germanic languages). I could see the "akrobatik" part and it made sense to make "games" equivalent to "acrobatics" in terms of mental exercise, so it seemed to me that as they substituted "acrobatics" for 'Games", that in the German title that left only "Gehirn". I tried that in the translator, and it wouldn't translate either, giving me the same word back untranslated. I figured there was a prefix or suffix and started putting parts of the word into the translator. Finally, for "hirn", I got the translation of "brain". This of course fit perfectly to substitute "brain acrobatics" for "Mind Games", since the English "Mind Games", is itself a play on words which I'm sure was a little difficult to translate into German.

As for "Cheap is the best policy". In English that would probably go down better as "Frugality is the Best Policy", and this seems to fit the tenor of the episode as well.

Anyway, that was the process I used to translate it. But I do thank you very much for fine tuning it for me.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar

Considering the KP Rogues' Gallery, "Insanity Does Not Pay Off" would seem to work as a good overall moral for the series.

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar

And the rumor mill keeps pumping.....

I saw "Get Smart" tonight (see "Real Life") thread, and I think there's a strong resemblance between Hathaway's dress from Russia (with love ) and Kim's purple "So the Drama" dress.

So I plunged into Google with "Kim Possible Anne Hathaway" as my standard (melodrama, isle 12!) to see if anyone else noticed the connection.

I didn't find anything along those lines, but searching the links, I did find something interesting - rumors of a KP movie....

.....I can't confirm this, but keep listening for buzz about Anne Hathaway starring a a movie based on comic book super heroine Kim Possible - depending on the success of Get Smart. Lindsay Lohan was originally being considered, and was keenly interested, but became too unreliable. Miley Cyrus was also a favorite, until her Vanity Fair misadventure. While both young women have publicly disgraced them self, Miss Hathaway - apart from her boyfriend Rafaello Folliere who is suspected of defrauding both the Catholic Church and Bill Clinton supporter Ron Buckle - still has a image so clean that it squeaks!
    http://www.zimbio.com/Robert+Mutt+La...hat+s+At+Stake

(Can't miss it; there's a big picture of KP.)

I have my doubts, of course. The typist obviously didn't know who KP was, or, at least, where she'd started from (comic book?!!). And a search of Anne Hathaway on Wikipedia brings up no upcoming KP film in her filmography repertoire....

I'm probably just biting at air..... and yet..... hope springs eternal.... And "Get Smart" did very well.....
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    I saw "Get Smart" tonight (see "Real Life") thread, and I think there's a strong resemblance between Hathaway's dress from Russia (with love ) and Kim's purple "So the Drama" dress.

So I plunged into Google with "Kim Possible Anne Hathaway" as my standard (melodrama, isle 12!) to see if anyone else noticed the connection.

I didn't find anything along those lines, but searching the links, I did find something interesting - rumors of a KP movie....

http://www.zimbio.com/Robert+Mutt+La...hat+s+At+Stake

(Can't miss it; there's a big picture of KP.)

I have my doubts, of course. The typist obviously didn't know who KP was, or, at least, where she'd started from (comic book?!!). And a search of Anne Hathaway on Wikipedia brings up no upcoming KP film in her filmography repertoire....

I'm probably just biting at air..... and yet..... hope springs eternal.... And "Get Smart" did very well.....
    I don't put too much faith in this "Zimbio" blogger. I don't think he's anywhere near mainstream enough to reliably predict such an occurence, but it is a neat thing, I admit.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Full Member san's Avatar

I appreciate the expert advice. I used Babelfish and one of the other translater programs (I think it's called SDL), which are crude at best, but I didn't feel like paying for better service. I knew that I was going to be misled a little with those automatic translators, so I had to think about the titles that just didn't make sense. I knew that they were going to be literal translations which were not taking a slang like usage or, as you say, a play on words into account, so I had to play with the translators.
    as for a simple dictionary for german-english i recommend dict.leo.org because they also have some common phrases translated. such like "ehrlich währt am längsten" and so on. that one does translate "gehirn". one disadvantage though, you need to give in the singular form of the noun or infinitive for verbs. probably better, if you know some grammar of both languages. well it does give suggestions for the case that you misspelled it, or plural, whatever

For example, if I put in "Gehirnakrobatik", it wouldn't even translate it, giving me the same word back without translation. So I looked at it closely as I knew German often combined word forms together, a trait which English has copied to a certain extent (and after all English does derive a large part of its origin from Germanic languages). I could see the "akrobatik" part and it made sense to make "games" equivalent to "acrobatics" in terms of mental exercise, so it seemed to me that as they substituted "acrobatics" for 'Games", that in the German title that left only "Gehirn". I tried that in the translator, and it wouldn't translate either, giving me the same word back untranslated. I figured there was a prefix or suffix and started putting parts of the word into the translator. Finally, for "hirn", I got the translation of "brain". This of course fit perfectly to substitute "brain acrobatics" for "Mind Games", since the English "Mind Games", is itself a play on words which I'm sure was a little difficult to translate into German.
    now that you are mentioning, i see now the play too. but yes some plays are hard or impossible to translate.

now just another question, how common is actually brain acrobatics?
    my guess: it is rather not. what ever would fit best, would be the perfect translation for it.
    As for "Cheap is the best policy". In English that would probably go down better as "Frugality is the Best Policy", and this seems to fit the tenor of the episode as well.

Anyway, that was the process I used to translate it. But I do thank you very much for fine tuning it for me.

now for completing the list (well i was bored on the train):

english original........................................german........................................english

season 2

Naked Genius........................................ Tierisch genial........................................Extr emly ingenious

literal for "tierisch" would be beastly, animally (?), i'm not sure if that makes any sense, if they were used instead of extremly

Grudge Match........................................Die künstliche Intelligenz....................................... .The artificial intelligence
    Two To Tutor........................................Ron, der Hauswirtschaftslehrer............................. ...........Ron the home economics teacher
    The Ron Factor........................................Der Ron-Faktor........................................The Ron Factor
    Car Trouble........................................... Die Fahrprüfung....................................... .The driving test
    Rufus In Show........................................Rufus, der Hundestar........................................R ufus the dog star
    Adventures In Rufus-Sitting..................Der Mikrochip X-14........................................The microchip X-14
    Job Unfair........................................Orie ntierungswochen................................... .....orientation week

well i'm not sure how you really call those weeks, i appreciate if you can help me out on that one.

The Golden Years...............................Die goldenen Jahre........................................The Golden Years
    Virtu-Ron........................................Der Geistermeister.................................... ....The Wraithmaster

this is actually a literal translation, well if it weren't the case, i'd have taken the characters name.

The Fearless Ferret...............................Das furchtlose Frettchen
    The fearless ferret........................................
    Exchange........................................Da s Lotus-Schwert........................................The lotus blade
    Rufus vs Commodore Puddles...................Der Killer-Pudel........................................The killer poodle
    Day Of the Snowmen.........................Angriff der Schnemänner....................................... .Attack of the snowmen
    A Sitch In Time.............................Mission zwischen den Zeiten........................................Miss ion between the times
    A Very Possible Christmas....................Weihnachten bei den Possibles........................................C hristmas at the Possibles
    Queen Bebe.......................................Königin Bebe........................................Queen Bebe
    Hidden Talent..................................Verborgene Talente........................................Hid den Talent(s)
    Return to Wannaweep........................Rückkehr nach Camp Heimweh........................................Ret urn to camp homesickness
    Go Team go........................................Die Familienzusammenführung........................... .............Family reunion
    The Full Monkey.................................Das Affen-Amulett........................................The monkey amulet
    Blush........................................Ein Date mit Hindernissen...................................... ..A date with obstacles

i'm not sure if obstacle is a really good fitting word, well anything with simillar meaning would do.

Partners........................................Pa rtner........................................Partn ers
    Oh Boyz..........................................Die Popstars........................................Th e pop stars
    Sick Day........................................Die Erkältung........................................T he cold
    The Truth Hurts..............................Die Wahreit tut weh........................................The Truth Hurts
    Mother's Day........................................Muttert ag........................................Mother's Day
    Motor Ed........................................Motor Ed........................................Motor Ed
    Ron Millionaire................................Ron der Millionär........................................R on (The) Millionaire
    Triple S........................................Der Finanzberater..................................... ...The financial Advisor
    Rewriting History............................Ausflug in die Geschichte........................................ Excursion to History

Season 3

Steal Wheels ........................................Motor Eds rückkehr.......................................... ........ Motor Ed's return
    Emotion Sickness........................................ Stimmungsschwankungen............................. ........... mood swings / mood cycles
    Bonding ........................................ Eine klebrige Angelegenheit ........................................ A gluey sitch / A Gluey case
    Bad Boy ........................................ Der böse Ron .................................................. . The evil Ron
    Showdown at the Crooked D ................Showdown im wilden Westen ........................................Showdown at the wild west
    Dimension Twist ........................................ Seriencocktail ........................................ Series cocktail / Series mixture
    overdue ........................................ Überfällig .................................................. Overdue
    Roachie ........................................ Die Riesenschaben ........................................ The giant cockroaches
    Rappin' Draken ........................................ Dr. Drakken rappt ........................................ Rappin' Drakken
    Team Impossible ........................................ Team Impossible ........................................ Team Impossible
    Gorilla Fist ........................................ Das Sensei-Affenchaos ........................................ The sensei-monkey chaos /mayhem /mess
    And the Mole Rat Will be CGI ............Kim als Hollywood-Heldin........................................ Kim as Hollywood heroine
    So the Drama ........................................ Das Hephaestus-Projekt ........................................ The Hephaestus project

Season 4

Ill-Suited ........................................ Gefahr im Anzug ........................................ Danger in the suit /danger afoot

there's a wordlay hidden in the german one, well at least could be, not sure if the translators thought of that. well i provided both meanings.

The Big Job ........................................ Die Pseudo-Entführung ........................................ The pseudo-kidnapping
    Trading Faces ........................................ Die Formwandlerin ........................................ The shape shifter
    The cupid Effect ........................................Amors Liebesstrahl ........................................ Amor's love ray
    Car Alarm ........................................ Die rasende Rakete ........................................ The rushing rocket

i'm not sure if rushing would be any good choice, it is kind of hard to choose. maybe bombing could work http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...8707&dict=CALD please help me out on that one

Mad Dogs and Aliens ...........................Drakken im All .................................................. Drakken in Space
    Grande Size Me ........................................ Ron XXL .................................................. Ron XXL
    Clothes minded ........................................ Gut gekleidet ist halb gewonnen ......................... Well suited is half done

it's a play on "Frisch gewagt ist halb gewonnen" (Nothing ventured, nothing gained. /Well begun is half done) well i had to choose from both translations, i chose the latter one.

Big Bother ........................................ Ron der Superbruder ........................................ Ron the Super-brother
    Fashion Viction ........................................ Die Mode Mafia ........................................ The fashion mafia
    Odds man in ........................................ Wahrscheinlich unwahrscheinlich ........................................ Probably improbable
    Stop Team Go ........................................ Der Persönlichkeitsumkehrer ........................................ The personality inverter

how did Electronic call the modified attitudinator? maybe that one is a better choice for a good translation. actually i'm not sure if that thing was called in the episode "Persönlichkeitsumkehrer", but i would guess so. need to rewatch that one.

Cap'n Drakken ........................................ Die Piraten sind los! ........................................ The pirates are released

maybe slang for released would be better.

Mathter and Fervent ........................................Das Mathegenie ........................................ The Math genius
    The Mentor of our Discontent .......................Es ist nicht leicht, ein Mentor zu sein ........................................ It's not easy to be a mentor
    Oh no, yono¨ ........................................ Rons Ninja-Schwester ........................................ Ron's Ninja sister
    Clean Slate ........................................ Der Gedächtnisverlust ........................................ The memory loss
    Homecoming Upset........................................ Königin Bonnie und König Ron ..............................Queen Bonnie and King Ron
    Chasing Rufus ........................................ Jagd auf Rufus ........................................ Chasing Rufus
    Nursery Crime ........................................ Die Gaunerbabies ........................................ The villain babies
    Larry's Birthday ........................................Larrys Geburtstag ........................................ Larry's Birthday
    Graduation ........................................Die Abschlussfeier ........................................Graduation (party)

i hope it is readable, formatting is a pain, without the table function