Military SF - Honor Harrington, Starship Troopers, Etc. - Page 10
Global Justice Alliance

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 113

Thread: Military SF - Honor Harrington, Starship Troopers, Etc.

  1. #91
    Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Klein Innsbruck
    Posts
    7,441
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I noted the title of the next Honor Harrington novel, Shadow of Freedom. No news yet on when it'll be published,
    Amazon says it comes out March 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Can you download an e-book to your computer, or do you need one of those readers in order to read it? I'm tempted to buy a copy, but I have no reader....
    Yes, you should be able to read it on a computer.

  2. #92
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,164
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I noted the title of the next Honor Harrington novel, Shadow of Freedom. No news yet on when it'll be published,
    Amazon says it comes out March 5.*
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Can you download an e-book to your computer, or do you need one of those readers in order to read it? I'm tempted to buy a copy, but I have no reader....
    Yes, you should be able to read it on a computer.**
    *I just checked Baen's website, and they say it'll be released March 15. Maybe someone got an advance copy, and is selling it on Amazon?
    **Thanks, campy! Now I can go ahead and buy the e-book, if I can scrape up the money.
    Heck, I'll probably end up buying both books next month....

  3. #93
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, Texas
    Posts
    8,089
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I noted the title of the next Honor Harrington novel, Shadow of Freedom. No news yet on when it'll be published,
    Amazon says it comes out March 5.*
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Can you download an e-book to your computer, or do you need one of those readers in order to read it? I'm tempted to buy a copy, but I have no reader....
    Yes, you should be able to read it on a computer.**
    *I just checked Baen's website, and they say it'll be released March 15. Maybe someone got an advance copy, and is selling it on Amazon?
    **Thanks, campy! Now I can go ahead and buy the e-book, if I can scrape up the money.
    Heck, I'll probably end up buying both books next month....
    Me, too!
    "Say the Word"

  4. #94
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,164
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I noted the title of the next Honor Harrington novel, Shadow of Freedom. No news yet on when it'll be published,
    Amazon says it comes out March 5.*
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Can you download an e-book to your computer, or do you need one of those readers in order to read it? I'm tempted to buy a copy, but I have no reader....
    Yes, you should be able to read it on a computer.**
    *I just checked Baen's website, and they say it'll be released March 15. Maybe someone got an advance copy, and is selling it on Amazon?
    **Thanks, campy! Now I can go ahead and buy the e-book, if I can scrape up the money.
    Heck, I'll probably end up buying both books next month....
    Me, too!
    Yes, indeed...more Honor! Can't get enough of Mr. Weber's books!

  5. #95
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, Texas
    Posts
    8,089
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I noted the title of the next Honor Harrington novel, Shadow of Freedom. No news yet on when it'll be published,
    Amazon says it comes out March 5.*
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Can you download an e-book to your computer, or do you need one of those readers in order to read it? I'm tempted to buy a copy, but I have no reader....
    Yes, you should be able to read it on a computer.**
    *I just checked Baen's website, and they say it'll be released March 15. Maybe someone got an advance copy, and is selling it on Amazon?
    **Thanks, campy! Now I can go ahead and buy the e-book, if I can scrape up the money.
    Heck, I'll probably end up buying both books next month....
    Me, too!
    Yes, indeed...more Honor! Can't get enough of Mr. Weber's books!
    I can't wait to see how Honor is going to kick Manpower Inc.'s butt!
    "Say the Word"

  6. #96
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,164
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I noted the title of the next Honor Harrington novel, Shadow of Freedom. No news yet on when it'll be published,
    Amazon says it comes out March 5.*
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Can you download an e-book to your computer, or do you need one of those readers in order to read it? I'm tempted to buy a copy, but I have no reader....
    Yes, you should be able to read it on a computer.**
    *I just checked Baen's website, and they say it'll be released March 15. Maybe someone got an advance copy, and is selling it on Amazon?
    **Thanks, campy! Now I can go ahead and buy the e-book, if I can scrape up the money.
    Heck, I'll probably end up buying both books next month....
    Me, too!
    Yes, indeed...more Honor! Can't get enough of Mr. Weber's books!
    I can't wait to see how Honor is going to kick Manpower Inc.'s butt!
    Oh, I'm sure it'll be spectacular. And you know she'll have a lot of help from the Havenites, as well as anyone else who's been "played" by Manpower down through the centuries. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Solarian League eventually joins in the fray, considering what's been happening to them in the last few books!

  7. #97
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,164
    Good news! The next Honor Harrington novel will be out this fall! Its title is Shadow Of Victory, and its publication date is November 1.
    This blurb from an Amazon.com page I found tonight gives an idea of what to expect:
    "The Mesan Alignment is revealed, and, for Honor Harrington and the Manticoran Star Kingdom, this means war!"
    I also understand there's supposed to be another "Honorverse companion" book published late this year as well. Its working title is House Of Lies, and it will give us the lowdown on the Republic of Haven and the Andermani Empire. One of the artists working on the spaceship illustrations posted the news on his DeviantArt web page.

  8. #98
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, Texas
    Posts
    8,089
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Good news! The next Honor Harrington novel will be out this fall! Its title is Shadow Of Victory, and its publication date is November 1.
    This blurb from an Amazon.com page I found tonight gives an idea of what to expect:
    "The Mesan Alignment is revealed, and, for Honor Harrington and the Manticoran Star Kingdom, this means war!"
    I also understand there's supposed to be another "Honorverse companion" book published late this year as well. Its working title is House Of Lies, and it will give us the lowdown on the Republic of Haven and the Andermani Empire. One of the artists working on the spaceship illustrations posted the news on his DeviantArt web page.
    About time! Dag Nab it! However, TWD, I don't know if you might be interested, but there is an interesting take on David Weber and the development, or possible dissolving, of the whole Honorverse, which is called "The Exasperating Case of David Weber" or "The Slow Death of the Honorverse." It is an interesting, if somewhat dry, take on how the entire series has been more or less derailed from its original intent. The author is a man named John Lennard, who himself is a Professor of British and American Literature, who also writes genre fiction. Some of what he says does make sense to me in the way Weber has been writing the series.
    "Say the Word"

  9. #99
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,164
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Good news! The next Honor Harrington novel will be out this fall! Its title is Shadow Of Victory, and its publication date is November 1.
    This blurb from an Amazon.com page I found tonight gives an idea of what to expect:
    "The Mesan Alignment is revealed, and, for Honor Harrington and the Manticoran Star Kingdom, this means war!"
    I also understand there's supposed to be another "Honorverse companion" book published late this year as well. Its working title is House Of Lies, and it will give us the lowdown on the Republic of Haven and the Andermani Empire. One of the artists working on the spaceship illustrations posted the news on his DeviantArt web page.
    About time! Dag Nab it! However, TWD, I don't know if you might be interested, but there is an interesting take on David Weber and the development, or possible dissolving, of the whole Honorverse, which is called "The Exasperating Case of David Weber" or "The Slow Death of the Honorverse." It is an interesting, if somewhat dry, take on how the entire series has been more or less derailed from its original intent. The author is a man named John Lennard, who himself is a Professor of British and American Literature, who also writes genre fiction. Some of what he says does make sense to me in the way Weber has been writing the series.
    I saw a reference to that article by Mr. Lennard, but I didn't read it. I might look it up later, though.

  10. #100
    Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The suburbs of Go City
    Posts
    10,164
    Something I just noticed while rereading In Enemy Hands recently: The StateSec ship Cordelia Ransom used as her own personal transport was named PNS Tepes, and its commanding officer was one Citizen Captain Vladovich. Those names always rang a bell whenever I read the book, and this time after reading it I kept thinking of the name "Vlad Tepes." So I looked it up on-line, and sure enough I found it. Vlad Tepes was none other than Vlad the Impaler, the 15th-century Balkan tyrant who served as the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula.
    How appropriate that Mr. Weber named that vessel, and its commander, after one of history's bloodiest tyrants!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •