Comic Books and Graphic Novels - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Ah, comics... Certainly something I've possibly invested far too much time in. Big time Superman fan, but that should come as no surprise, considering my old Last Son online name. Like I said though... my interest in the actual comics themselves has dwindled over the last few years. I guess I could blame it on the amount of crossover events both DC and Marvel seem to love churning out lately. Crisis this, Civil War that... tiring and boring all rolled up into one package. At this point I'm much more interested in the stuff based off the comics than the actual source material themselves (movies, shows, etc.).

Though I still follow some titles... DC's weekly Trinity series is still a fun read right now. A series following Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman... with the writing handled by Kurt Busiek and Fabian Nicieza, art handled primarily by Mark Bagley? Can't go wrong there, not at all.

I'm also still following DC's Birds of Prey, but that's more of out loyalty to the Huntress character then anything else right now. The title hasn't been the same since Gail Simone stopped writing the title.

As for Marvel... all I've really bothered with from that company for the longest time it he Spider-Girl series. Fun stuff, especially since it harkens back to the more fun days of comics. Best Spider-Man title on the market currently, and I greatly look forward to when the Hobgoblin makes his eventual return.

Still, my fondest comic book related memory has to be saving up the money as a kid to eventually purchase The Marvel/DC Collection trade paperback that I saw at my local comic shop. Oh, that book was a marvel to beyond back in they day. Oh, that was awesome, yes indeed. Superman teaming up with Spider-Man (not once, but twice), Batman meeting the Hulk, the X-Men teaming up with the Teen Titans in a story that had Darkseid resurrecting the Dark Phoenix (epic stuff right there). 'Course the second Superman/Spidey team up ending up standing out the most for me, if only for Superman and the Hulk throwing down, following up with Superman confronting Doctor Doom (easily my favorite comic book villain).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Did anyone else catch that news report about the "Batman" story whose blacked-out dialogue profanities weren't blacked out enough, and people could actually read the swear words?
    DC's been trying to recall those issues from comics dealers, or asking them to destroy any copies they (the dealers) might have in stock.
    It seems a printing error (not enough ink used in one stage of the printing process) was the cause of the dirty words being still visible.

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Did anyone else catch that news report about the "Batman" story whose blacked-out dialogue profanities weren't blacked out enough, and people could actually read the swear words?
    Cool! I'll bet those will go for a mint!
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Cool! I'll bet those will go for a mint!
    Especially since someone's bound to save a few copies for that very reason...

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMagic View Post
    Ah, comics... Certainly something I've possibly invested far too much time in. Big time Superman fan, but that should come as no surprise, considering my old Last Son online name. Like I said though... my interest in the actual comics themselves has dwindled over the last few years. I guess I could blame it on the amount of crossover events both DC and Marvel seem to love churning out lately. Crisis this, Civil War that... tiring and boring all rolled up into one package. At this point I'm much more interested in the stuff based off the comics than the actual source material themselves (movies, shows, etc.).

Though I still follow some titles... DC's weekly Trinity series is still a fun read right now. A series following Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman... with the writing handled by Kurt Busiek and Fabian Nicieza, art handled primarily by Mark Bagley? Can't go wrong there, not at all.

I'm also still following DC's Birds of Prey, but that's more of out loyalty to the Huntress character then anything else right now. The title hasn't been the same since Gail Simone stopped writing the title.

As for Marvel... all I've really bothered with from that company for the longest time it he Spider-Girl series. Fun stuff, especially since it harkens back to the more fun days of comics. Best Spider-Man title on the market currently, and I greatly look forward to when the Hobgoblin makes his eventual return.

Still, my fondest comic book related memory has to be saving up the money as a kid to eventually purchase The Marvel/DC Collection trade paperback that I saw at my local comic shop. Oh, that book was a marvel to beyond back in they day. Oh, that was awesome, yes indeed. Superman teaming up with Spider-Man (not once, but twice), Batman meeting the Hulk, the X-Men teaming up with the Teen Titans in a story that had Darkseid resurrecting the Dark Phoenix (epic stuff right there). 'Course the second Superman/Spidey team up ending up standing out the most for me, if only for Superman and the Hulk throwing down, following up with Superman confronting Doctor Doom (easily my favorite comic book villain).
    I feel pretty much the same. I used to collect heavily, but it has worn off over time as well. Nowadays I only colloect or read two series. Like you, I couldn't connect in all that hodge-podge of cross-overs, alternate universes, etc. It just made it all too confusing. Also like you, the only thing from Marvel that I've bothered with is Spider-Girl. I've always liked the M2 universe thing, and I'm saddened that Spider-girl is the only surviving title. Besides that I only collect one other title, which is Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo from Dark Horse.
    "Say the Word"

I take it by now you've read the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Girl, right? I must say... that was quite the rollercoaster of a comic. The wait for the next issue is going to be rough...

Ah, right. Having read the latest issue of Birds of Prey... I think I'm going to stick with that series for a little while longer. This issue rocked, and it rocked hard. Huntress got some screentime at long last, Misfit wasn't nearly as annoying, and Tony Bedard writes a pretty chilling version of Joker, especially with how the ending paralleled The Killing Joke.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I take it by now you've read the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Girl, right? I must say... that was quite the rollercoaster of a comic. The wait for the next issue is going to be rough...
    If you mean issue #23, yeah.... .......Can't wait. But I have to have my comics shipped to me from Dallas. So I get batches every three months, so I haven't seen beyond #23 at this point.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Veteran Member Cody MacArthur Fett's Avatar
    Ah, the first comic I ever bought.

The Sonic the Hedgehog series by Archie was the only comic series I subscribed to and I stayed on until issue 162, then . . . I simply didn't renew my subscription - lack of funds partially, lack of interest mostly.

I also bought a few of the Star Wars comics featuring the Gordon Frohman-like characters Tag & Bink.

Oh yeah, and I've always been a big fan of classics like The Shield (America's first patriotic superhero!), Tintin, and Astrix and Obelisk, but that's a story for another day.

Okay, I admit it, I'm a comic book crazed girl.

I started reading them around two years ago, with some Batman Strikes, Superman, and a collection of Supergirl (the new one, Kara Zor-El) graphic novels.

These days, I read and collect nearly ten different monthly comics, with that list growing, including the ones I mentioned, as well as Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, Knights of The Old Republic, Legacy, and Rebellion (the last three mentioned are Star Wars comics).

My personal favorites remain Superman, KOTOR, and Supergirl!

Graphic novels are a weakness of mine. I own a bunch, and think I've barrowed every last one from our library (some twice). My favorite of all-time is the epic Emporer Joker (seriously, read this if you haven't ).

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    If you mean issue #23, yeah.... .......Can't wait. But I have to have my comics shipped to me from Dallas. So I get batches every three months, so I haven't seen beyond #23 at this point.
    Oh, shoot. My apologies. I was referring to #24. Didn't know about you getting them in bulk.

Yeah, #23 itself was quite interesting. Much as he is on edge about the whole thing (and rightly so), you've got to feel bad for Peter. Norman Osborn just keeps messing with him, even in death.

Quote Originally Posted by Twila Starla View Post
    My personal favorites remain Superman, KOTOR, and Supergirl!
    Wait, a Knights of the Old Republic comic? That series wouldn't happen to have any connections to the game of the same name would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Twila Starla View Post
    Graphic novels are a weakness of mine. I own a bunch, and think I've barrowed every last one from our library (some twice). My favorite of all-time is the epic Emporer Joker (seriously, read this if you haven't ).
    Ah yes, I do so remember reading the individual issues back in 2000. Certainly took DC some time to release it in a collected format. But yes, Emperor Joker was quite the wild ride, especially when the fourth issue of the storyline actually revealed that it was Joker behind everything. That was quite the plot twist back... especially since it was the absolute last thing I was expecting in a Superman story.

I also have to hand it to Joe Kelly for his writing of that storyline's last issue. Especially in regards to how he wrote the Joker. That one moment between him and Harley was something else.

"But you see, Harl? I'm fixing everything. I'm leaving behind a clean, quiet universe. Where people like me... won't ever come into existence."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]