Calling all car buffs... - Page 11
Global Justice Alliance

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all car buffs...

I changed to my summer tires this weekend.

Here's a picture of the stock Aristos:

Now, here's a picture with the O.Z. wheels:
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I went to have my oil changed over the weekend, and ended up having to replace my coolant as well. The mechanic said when he looked at the coolant in my car, instead of being the pinkish color it normally is, mine was the color of sludge (brownish gunk). So, instead of just paying $69.95 for the oil change (my car uses synthetic oil), I shelled out $212.00 for service. Ouch...

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I went to have my oil changed over the weekend, and ended up having to replace my coolant as well. The mechanic said when he looked at the coolant in my car, instead of being the pinkish color it normally is, mine was the color of sludge (brownish gunk). So, instead of just paying $69.95 for the oil change (my car uses synthetic oil), I shelled out $212.00 for service. Ouch...
    Yeah, it sounds like your radiator has started to rust out. Some radiators will do that. I assume your mechanic had to flush out the entire radiator system to clear the rust out before filling it again. You're going to have to check the radiator fluid more frequently now, and change it a little more often, because chances are it's going to happen again if you don't.

Some cars will do that, some won't. I know because my old Jimmy did that too.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like your radiator has started to rust out. Some radiators will do that. I assume your mechanic had to flush out the entire radiator system to clear the rust out before filling it again. You're going to have to check the radiator fluid more frequently now, and change it a little more often, because chances are it's going to happen again if you don't.

Some care will do that, some won't. I know because my old Jimmy did that too.
    Rust out, huh?
    I did not want to hear that....
    Next time I go to my VW dealer, I'll ask a service rep about that and see what he says. Thanks for the heads-up, jeriddian.

I need to get a 4-wheel alignment on my car. Yesterday the shop could only check it but not fix it. It's actually pretty uneven. Since my last alignment was only last year, I'm wondering if I did something while changing to my summer tires. I had to really kick them to break them loose.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

After getting the front of my car repainted, I decided that investing in a clear sticker is much cheaper than having to have another repaint.

The arrows in this first pic indicate the edges of the sticker:

The sticker is unnoticeable a short distance away:

So far I'm pretty happy with it. I had the front bumper, headlights, front parts of hood and fenders done. As a bonus, bugs wash off pretty easily, now.

Glad you solved your finish problem there, canuck.
    My problem is with the birds that poop all over my car whenever I park it in the little extension at the bottom of our driveway. If I'm not careful, they'll "dive-bomb" the car so that I end up with crud on my door handles (Ick...). To reduce the chances of that happening (and it's happened at least three times already), I park the car in the center of the extension and at a slight angle, so that the majority of the birdies' "gifts" land on my hood instead of the doors. The extension's wide enough for two cars, and I'm the only one who currently parks there, so I can get away with doing that. But man, what a hassle it is to wash the car every week to get that mess off the paint job....

Yeah, birds have annoyed me ever since I started driving. I keep throw-away cloths and quick detailer in the trunk so I can get rid of them before they bake on my paint and make it harder to remove.

One of my non-negotiable criteria whenever I relocate is having covered, assigned parking.

Glad you solved your finish problem there, canuck
    To see what the front looked like before repainting....

Meanwhile, my brother in his Denali is getting 10mpg when pulling his 30' trailer.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    To see what the front looked like before repainting....
    Quite an improvement!

I should think about getting my Avalon repainted. It could sure use it. I still have a dent in the hood where a truck shot a stone across the road and hit me last year, and a couple of other issues as well.

Yeah, birds have annoyed me ever since I started driving. I keep throw-away cloths and quick detailer in the trunk so I can get rid of them before they bake on my paint and make it harder to remove.
    So, canuck, what brand of quick detailer do you use to deal with the bird poop? That sounds like a good idea - beats rushing to the car wash too often...