Calling all car buffs... - Page 8
Global Justice Alliance

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all car buffs...

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Nice rig there, Lunchmeat. I like this a little better though.....

http://www.teslamotors.com/
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post

Oo-rah!

Still, they'd have some trouble strapping a Tesla to a rocket.

---

People who say that we're throwing money away in space don't seem to realize that once we've sent human-built machinery hurtling up through the atmosphere at several times the speed of a bullet, dipped it in a deep-fry of solar radiation, suffocated it in a hard vacuum, pelted it with microscopic, electromagnetic, razor-sharp motes of dust, and placed it in a highway of hypersonic little bits of space rock......... Earth's problems suddenly look like a piece of cake.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Oo-rah!

Still, they'd have some trouble strapping a Tesla to a rocket.
    Well, top speed of 125 MPH. 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds. One speed transmission. Range of 240 to 270 miles, (depending) on one charge. Recharge time of 3.5 hours. All the full luxuries of a vehicle costing that much, which includes stereo, video, and everything inbetween you can think of. Who needs the rocket?......
    "Say the Word"

Not to mention that many of the problems people say we should address here first may well have solution that a robust space program might provide.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post

Yeah, but did you see how much one of those things cost??
    I won't be taking a loan out on a Tesla coupe anytime soon...

People who say that we're throwing money away in space don't seem to realize that once we've sent human-built machinery hurtling up through the atmosphere at several times the speed of a bullet, dipped it in a deep-fry of solar radiation, suffocated it in a hard vacuum, pelted it with microscopic, electromagnetic, razor-sharp motes of dust, and placed it in a highway of hypersonic little bits of space rock......... Earth's problems suddenly look like a piece of cake.
    I agree, 'chutes. Many of the devices we use daily on Earth today are spin-offs of technology invented for the space program - especially Project Apollo. Just to give you one example, the cordless electric drills we use today are the direct descendants of the battery-operated drills the astronauts on the last Apollo missions used to bore into the lunar surface to collect samples of soil for analysis. Black & Decker was awarded the contract to develop said drills. After Apollo ended, B&D refined their lunar-drill design, evolving it into the first cordless drills marketed here on Earth during the 1980's.
    Not to mention that many of the problems people say we should address here first may well have solution that a robust space program might provide.
    Absolutely, lunchmeat! The cordless drills I mentioned above provided a solution to what was, in the larger order of things, a minor problem faced mostly by construction workers and do-it-yourself home-repairers (is that even a word?); but one never knows when an elegant solution to a major problem might present itself, or where it might come from. Case in point: the Apollo computer simulations originally designed to take the astronauts on pretend training missions later became key weapons in the fight to clean up our country's air and water. TRW, NASA's leading computer simulation contractor, discovered that the same models could be adapted to measure emissions - air and water pollution - with nearly flawless precision. The data supplied by TRW's pollution-monitoring system was cited as the technical basis for environmental protection laws enacted in California, Alaska, Ohio, South Carolina, and Washington, D.C.
    (Source of info about the TRW software: "For All Mankind," by Harry Hurt III; Atlantic Monthly Press, NY, 1988. ISBN: 0-87113-170-6. I don't remember where I read about Black & Decker developing the lunar core drills, but I know I did. I'll let you know when I find the exact source.)
    TRW's software provided a serendipitous answer to a growing problem; yet no one even thought of using those programs to combat pollution when they were first written back in the 60's. Someone just realized they could be adapted for environmental purposes.

One kind of interesting NASA factoid is that they have atmospheric monitering stations all over the country. I found out about this when I worked for the National Park Service when I helped analyze some of the data from one we had in our park.
    An offshoot of this was that degrading viusal horizon, due to smog and haze, in Big Bend had long been thought to come from power plants in Mexico. Turned out that it was coming down from the Midwest, pushed along by cyclonic fronts.

I'm in the process of importing my car to Canada. There are hoops, but so far they've been quick and easy ones. Border and customs on both sides have been very helpful and professional.

My next hoop I need to jump through is vehicle inspection.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I just got a letter from my VW dealer. They're urging me to set up an appointment to give my car its 30,000-mile inspection soon. Considering I've got over 27,000 miles on it now, that's not a bad idea.
    Of course, my main concern is the cost of whatever repairs or service the car might need....

As of today my R32 is now a Canadian. :P I handed in all the importation, insurance, and inspection documents to Ontario's motor vehicles agency and received my plates.

My Ontario auto insurance is more than twice what I paid in Maryland.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?