General Discussion 5 - Page 46
Global Justice Alliance

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion 5

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar
    On a more positive note...

Since they did cut away to the moment, it was nice to see New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur get his 552nd career win, breaking Patrick Roy's record.

What's more remarkable is that Brodeur also has 100 career shutouts, just three shy of the late Terry Sawchuk's record. Brodeur didn't add to that tonight (he did give up two goals), but he's quite capable of getting it done before too long.

I've always respected Patrick Roy's talent, but there was just something about him that rubbed me the wrong way (long before he joined the Colorado Avalanche, so it goes way beyond the heated Detroit-Colorado rivalry in which he played a large role). I never really wanted Roy on my own team.

Brodeur, on the other hand... he's a guy I'd love to see in a Wings or Pens uniform, instead of that Devils sweater. But, I have to give him and the New Jersey organization credit, for staying together for his whole career to date. I don't see New Jersey letting him go to another team before he hangs up his mask and skates for good.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    552 career wins, and 100 career shutouts? Wow....
    That's quite an accomplishment.

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    552 career wins, and 100 career shutouts? Wow....
    That's quite an accomplishment.
    How's this for putting Brodeur's career in perspective: he has more career wins than the Minnesota Wild and Columbus Blue Jackets combined (528 through tonight's action).

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    ....... Personally, I believe Obama is well meaning, but is too naive to know how to handle the situation properly. I think the decision was pushed on him by people like Reid and Pelosi, and he buckled under to the pressure.
    Hey, even the Daily Show is commenting on it...

The way it's phrased, it sounds like some myopic subcommittee thought "hey, how can we cut overhead?" and stuck that in there.

EDIT: At any rate, this looks more like a tentative proposal that got floated and people pounced on; what with the VA and lawmaker opposition, the idea will either be quietly dropped or be DOA if it somehow makes to Congressional floor deliberations.[/QUOTE]

The problem I have with that thesis is how strongly the President is defending the idea. I don't know if it's a function of his increasingly famous inability to accept critisiscm or if this is designed to make it look like members of his party "stood up to hm" on an issue they are typically weak on. The whole thing could just be a political subtrefuge.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    ....... Personally, I believe Obama is well meaning, but is too naive to know how to handle the situation properly. I think the decision was pushed on him by people like Reid and Pelosi, and he buckled under to the pressure.
    Hey, even the Daily Show is commenting on it...

The way it's phrased, it sounds like some myopic subcommittee thought "hey, how can we cut overhead?" and stuck that in there.

EDIT: At any rate, this looks more like a tentative proposal that got floated and people pounced on; what with the VA and lawmaker opposition, the idea will either be quietly dropped or be DOA if it somehow makes to Congressional floor deliberations.

The problem I have with that thesis is how strongly the President is defending the idea. I don't know if it's a function of his increasingly famous inability to accept critisiscm or if this is designed to make it look like members of his party "stood up to hm" on an issue they are typically weak on. The whole thing could just be a political subtrefuge.
    No doubt there...........no doubt.....
    "Say the Word"

After all the high flying rhetoric, I had really hoped he would turn out to be better than this. Of course we also have the self labeled "most ethical congress ever" and look how they've been behaving.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

After all the high flying rhetoric, I had really hoped he would turn out to be better than this. Of course we also have the self labeled "most ethical congress ever" and look how they've been behaving.
    The thing I hate is that this phrase is beginning to look more and more like an oxymoron as time goes on.......
    "Say the Word"

Somehow I don't think they're going to let me reserve an Air Force transport and crew to scoot back to Terlingua on the weekends.....

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    EDIT: At any rate, this looks more like a tentative proposal that got floated and people pounced on; what with the VA and lawmaker opposition, the idea will either be quietly dropped or be DOA if it somehow makes to Congressional floor deliberations.

I read a report on CNN that stated that this is just something under consideration; and that no decision has been made yet regarding it. However, given the overwhelming opposition to this measure from veterans' groups and Congress, I too get the feeling that this proposal will be dropped quicker than a lump of weapons-grade plutonium. Instead, they'll enact a compromise measure - one more to the liking of the veterans and their friends in the legislature.
    Anyway, the thing to do if you don't like this proposal is write to the President, and tell him how you feel about it. Also, write your senators and congressmen/women to express your feelings. That's what democracy's all about - people participating in government by letting their elected representatives know just where they stand on things. As a member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots' Association for the past 22 years, I can tell you that this sort of grass-roots activism works. Many's the time I've had to write letters to politicians regarding legislature that could adversely affect my hard-earned flying privileges. If enough people write in to oppose a piece of legislation, the politicians will do something about it - especially if they want to get re-elected.
    So get out your pens and stationery, and send your letters to Washington. President Obama has expressed a willingness to listen to ideas and suggestions from both his supporters and his opponents. So I recommend that you take him up on his offer and let him know how you feel about this. And if you have any suggestions for alternate measures than the one he suggested, let the President know those too. One can never tell where a good idea - one that can benefit a great many people - will come from.
    I went into "lecture mode" again - sorry about that!
    I'll get down off my soapbox now....

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post

I read a report on CNN that stated that this is just something under consideration; and that no decision has been made yet regarding it. However, given the overwhelming opposition to this measure from veterans' groups and Congress, I too get the feeling that this proposal will be dropped quicker than a lump of weapons-grade plutonium. Instead, they'll enact a compromise measure - one more to the liking of the veterans and their friends in the legislature.
    Anyway, the thing to do if you don't like this proposal is write to the President, and tell him how you feel about it. Also, write your senators and congressmen/women to express your feelings. That's what democracy's all about - people participating in government by letting their elected representatives know just where they stand on things. As a member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots' Association for the past 22 years, I can tell you that this sort of grass-roots activism works. Many's the time I've had to write letters to politicians regarding legislature that could adversely affect my hard-earned flying privileges. If enough people write in to oppose a piece of legislation, the politicians will do something about it - especially if they want to get re-elected.
    So get out your pens and stationery, and send your letters to Washington. President Obama has expressed a willingness to listen to ideas and suggestions from both his supporters and his opponents. So I recommend that you take him up on his offer and let him know how you feel about this. And if you have any suggestions for alternate measures than the one he suggested, let the President know those too. One can never tell where a good idea - one that can benefit a great many people - will come from.
    I went into "lecture mode" again - sorry about that!
    I'll get down off my soapbox now....
    I didn't realize that! You're a pilot, TWD? Hmmm...............................I might just have a job for you one of these days..................if I ever become rich and famous...........
    "Say the Word"