Ghost in the Shell - Page 2
Global Justice Alliance

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost in the Shell

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    It would have really been a problem for the KP fandom if Disney was this Draconian....
    Oh, I think they would have been if it was worth it to them.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Scribblings from "Meme" (episode 06):

I'm still not quite following everything that's going on, but dang, this episode cranks a potential slowdown back into "bad*** mode" very nicely.

Particularly impressive is the stonecold expression on the Chief's face as he walks out on the PM after telling him about the latter's impending investigation.... followed by The Enforcer, Motoko, shutting the door after him.

Old Japanese people are so cool.

And the music that starts up at that point is cool.... violins and piano! Neat!

And is it just me, or does one move from this episode seem very, very familiar to one from another....?
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

It's ironic - I begin to get into the world of "Ghost in the Shell" just a few days ago, and suddenly, coincidentally, there's all kinds of new news about technologies that could be forerunners to what's used in the show.

You've got quantum-mechanics research from the LCH that could lead to seamless global computing....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999/page/2/

....the Large Hadron Collider could usher in an era of global distributed computing and more efficient mass data storage. A better understanding of the subatomic world could lead to breakthroughs in quantum computing and super-secure communication.
    ...New-fangled invisibility cloaks made out of meta-materials....

http://www.photonics.com/content/new.../11/92819.aspx

...And prosthetic arms that are marching closer and closer to mimicking natural human function...

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/feb08/5957
    http://gizmodo.com/394072/all-things...yborg-luke-arm

...The control techniques are revolutionary. He's playing a video of a guy who didn't have both his arms for 18 years, and learned how to use the arms effectively in less than two dozen hours of training. He's showing a video that shows a guy who knows how to punch, pass a Ping Pong ball to his friend and pour a drink for another man who is holding a cup with the same type of arm. Then the video shows Chuck, the man with no arms, for the first time in 13 years, feeding himself cereal.

Now he's showing a video of a guy using the arm using only his MIND. He learned this technique in two days, but Dean says it was more like the system learned how to interface with the human.
    ....It's a mind-controlled robot arm! How cool is that?!!

(On a side note, the arm's inventor, Dean Kamen, also founded FIRST Robotics! )
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Two words: Jungle Cruise.

This probably.... wasn't the best one to listen to with the high-def surround-sound headphones.... Brrrr.....

Interestingly, I partially removed my headphones at almost the exact same time Togusa reacted....

While the episode is on par with your average CSI episode, as an American I'm not very used to seeing stuff like that rendered into animated form. With real-life people, this kind of twistedness is, sadly, something of an everyday occurrence. To see it backward-reflected in cartoons is.... jarring.

No love for the Yanks, eh? But then, it's not exactly like we've ever deserved it, especially with our CIA record...

(But nice "did-your-homework" bonus - the fiber-optic cables lining the sewer walls *would* sever communications; one of the good things about them is that they allow no 'crosstalk' between the cores, letting you place many of them side-by-side without interference.... If you made an entire arch of them, I suppose they could act like a Faraday cage. Well done. )

Watching the series, there seem to be some things about the technology I don't understand.

If all the members of Section 09 are able to communicate 'telepathically,' what is the point of verbally communicating with each other? Is it because the very act of speaking what you're thinking helps formulate what you're actually trying to say?

And even when they're communicating wirelessly, why do they sometimes verbally shout the commands, even though they don't need to? (An example: a member audibly yells "Major!" even though the Major may be a hundred miles away, but continues the rest of the statement in wireless mode.) Do old verbal habits really die that hard?

And if the Major, with the exception of her brain and part of her spinal cord, is 100% mechanical, how are her eyes able to cry? (such as in "Escape_From") Have the scientists somehow been able to reverse-engineer tiny tear-ducts, and were thoughtful enough to include a little reservoir of water with a little pump that activates once the pump registers a certain "if-then" level of emotional electrical activity from a certain part of the brain?

EDIT: Disregard the above paragraph. I just realized that it was an 'avatar' representing her consciousness that was crying, not her actual blood-and-bolts body. The ponder below is still valid, though.

And if her eyes are cybernetic, why don't they look like Batou's? Are hers more top-of-the-line, and thus more realistic, while Batou's are no-frills military issue?

I think you've posited plausible answers to your questions.

As for why bother speaking, perhaps it helps prevent "noise". eg. At the same time telling Batou to bust in the door the Major could also be wondering what she'll have for dinner. Batou probably doesn't need to know that. Though... heck, maybe Batou would like to know.

Anywhoo, my favourite character is probably Togusa, then the Major. Though it flips back and forth depending on the episode.

Batou... I think he's an interesting character, but I wouldn't be upset if he was written out of the show.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    Batou... I think he's an interesting character, but I wouldn't be upset if he was written out of the show.
    Hmm, I like him. He has an interesting backstory, and the contrast between his physical frame and his attitude is cool.

------

More jaw-dropping "real life" GiTS tech:

Bionic contact lenses

....Adding displays directly onto the lenses, visible to the wearers but no one else, could project critical information onto windshields for drivers or pilots or superimpose computer images onto real-world objects for training exercises. And with a wireless connection to the Internet, the lenses could allow bus or train riders to surf the Web on virtual screens suspended in midair.

(Why there isn't a GiTS reference at that point, I have no idea. )

Yeesh, this show starts to corrupt you..... You start seeing the future everywhere.

Well, I've finished 1st Gig.

I think the two final-climax episodes can be summed up in a single word: KAAA-BLAAAMMMMM!

Oh, yes, and: "Headshot!"

Equal parts "Oh yeah!" and "Oh ----!"

----

"I'm sorry. But I had to hack your eyes, pal."

Batou's deadpan delivery pwns all.

---

"...Goodbye, Mr. Batou."

---

I was a little irked by the "reset button" (in a sense) ending, but now that I think it over, I'm warming to it. Not too much action in the final episode, but it ties up lose ends nicely and sets the stage for 2nd Gig.

There are still some "Wait, ?" moments.... To the reruns, Batman!

Registered User Veteran Member Cody MacArthur Fett's Avatar
    Well, I'm still stuck on the second episode (thanks to a lack of funds), so please 'Chutes, no spoilers!

As though it weren't clear before, after watching episode #14 of 2nd Gig ("DI: Beware the Left Eye – POKER_FACE") it is confirmed - the. Major. is. one. BAMF.

That final sentence must be read slowly and clearly, in the style of Samuel L. Jackson.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

(Don't worry - no spoilers. Just awesomeness. )

...And why doesn't TVTropes have a BAMF page?!

-------------

...And has the Major been raiding Kim's closet? (Yay Photoshop! )