Ghost in the Shell - Page 3
Global Justice Alliance

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ghost in the Shell

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    'Chutes, the link for "Exhibit A" in your last post wouldn't open for me - it kept "timing out" whenever I clicked on it. The other three worked just fine, however.
    And I see what you mean regarding the Major's outfit - it does resemble the former mission clothes of a certain red-headed cheerleader we all know and love... :P

Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    'Chutes, the link for "Exhibit A" in your last post wouldn't open for me - it kept "timing out" whenever I clicked on it.
    I think I've fixed it. I don't know what was causing the time-out problem.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    'Chutes, the link for "Exhibit A" in your last post wouldn't open for me - it kept "timing out" whenever I clicked on it.
    WOW! You certainly did...
    I can see why you think she's "one. BAMF."
    EDIT: Now why can't I ever meet girls like that?
    *Sigh* Ol' TransWarp loves the ladies, but the ladies don't love him...
    It's not easy being an aging bachelor...

Heh.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/853/majorey1.jpg

....And you thought Kim's super-suit pan was scary.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Heh.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be looking up at anyone - gorgeous girl or not - who's leveling a weapon like that at me.

Heh.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be looking up at anyone - gorgeous girl or not - who's leveling a weapon like that at me.
    For that pic, realize that she's missing her other arm; she reloads the bolt-action by using her knee and the force of the recoil. Even considering the fact that she is a full-on cyborg, the scene borders on absurd. But is it jaw-droppingly awesome? Yes, oh yes, oh yes....

Heh.

For that pic, realize that she's missing her other arm; she reloads the bolt-action by using her knee and the force of the recoil. Even considering the fact that she is a full-on cyborg, the scene borders on absurd. But is it jaw-droppingly awesome? Yes, oh yes, oh yes....
    You know, I just thought of something: an appropriate title to that picture might be something along the lines of, "Winning Through Intimidation."

Heh.

You know, I just thought of something: an appropriate title to that picture might be something along the lines of, "Winning Through Intimidation."

If you're interested in what you see, I recommend checking the series out - it's available for purchase on iTunes and can be viewed for free on some websites. It's done in anime style, as the screencaps show, but there is none, repeat none, of that cheap crap that anime usually tries to pull (sweat drops, blush patches, facepalms, etc) - this gig is professionally done, and the animation and backgrounds are gorgeous. At times the dialogue seems a slight bit stiff, and the mouth-syching isn't always perfect, but I think that's simply an inevitable casualty when a show is redone in another language, and it isn't a show-stopper at all.

The series is violent and rather bloody, not to mention sensual (Exhibit A: The Major), but those attributes are on par with a Jason Bourne film, and the series gives your brain a workout that equals, if not surpasses, Bourne.

Often, the bloodless episodes far outnumber the bloody ones; I'd initially expected a military/paramilitary type show, but it's really more police work, with some "para-police" and SWAT-type activity thrown in. You can't have a world-shaking crisis every day of the week, after all.

The first season of GitS has to be one of the best anime out there. It's a refreshing change from another 14 year old saving the world and/or universe, appealing as that may be sometimes (except Shinji -- the day I like Shinji is the day my corpse is cremated).

Another great anime, if you're not looking for 14 year old saviors, is Serei no Moribito, which I think is currently airing as Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit in North America. A couple of the things that appeal to me about it are that there are no "bad guys", and the fight choreography is amazing -- though the series doesn't depend on fights to keep it going. It often uses silence and observation to tell the story, not dialogue.

Anywhoo, back on thread topic, one of the things I like about GitS is the whole question of what makes a human a person.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    It's a refreshing change from another 14 year old saving the world and/or universe.
    But....

:P