What are you listening to? Track 3 - Page 49
Global Justice Alliance

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to? Track 3

Registered User Exalted Member Rob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Bennie and the Jets by Elton John. One of my all-time favorite songs.
    Awesome.

Not currently listening to anything in particular, but earlier, while I was camped out at the community picnic, waiting for the rest of my family to show up, I was listening to the works of Joe Satriani on my iPod. It's been a while since I've rocked out to Satch...

Which reminds me, he had another album out last year, that I need to acquire. I'll probably just purchase the tracks online - I did that with Engines of Creation, his 2000 release, which is exceedingly hard to find in stores. (I have all of the rest of his regular studio releases on CD.)

Super Moderator Venerated Elder campy's Avatar
    Édouard Lalo, overture to the 1888 opera Le roi d'Ys. Col. Michael J. Colburn conducts the United States Marine Band in a 2008 performance. It's a free download from the Band's web site.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Hector Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique, from a recording by the New York Philharmonic, conducted by Leonard Bernstein.
    "Say the Word"

On WFCR radio: Los Angeles Opera's production of Wagner's Die Walküre, with tenor (and company General Director) Plácido Domingo starring as Siegmund.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Last night, while I was driving back and forth between hospitals and dialysis units. I listened to most of the Clarinet Concerto by Aaron Copland. It was performed by Stanley Drucker, the principal clarinetist of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, with Lorin Maazel conducting.

This was a most notable performance. Mr Drucker is in his final year of performance with the New York Philharmonic and will retire after this season....after serving as a member of this most prestigious orchestra for 60 years, a feat which in known history of orchestras has never been matched. Of those 60 years, he has served as the prinicipal clarinetist for the last 48 years. He has performed the Copland Concerto a total of 64 times, all of them with the New York Philharmonic.

The Aaron Copland Clarinet Concerto was written in 1949 and was written by Copland with Benny Goodman, the well known "King of Swing", in mind. Goodman premiered the concerto with the NBC Orchestra in 1950, and also with the New York Philharmonic in 1969. In fact the only two clarinetists who have ever performed this concerto with the NYPO are Goodman and Drucker. It is a remarkable achievement.
    "Say the Word"

On radio: Symphony No. 41 in C major, K. 551 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the Jupiter Symphony. James Levine conducting the Boston Symphony in a concert broadcast live from the Tanglewood Festival in the Berkshire hills of Massachusetts.

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar
    "Masqualero" by Miles Davis' second great quintet from the album Sorcerer. With Wayne Shorter on sax and Herbie Hancock on keyboards.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace

From the Detective Conan (a.k.a. Case Closed) soundtrack - "Step By Step" by Ziggy; the first end theme of the series.

And, no, not the short, bald, big-nosed comic strip character Ziggy, either.

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar
    Neil Young's song "Everbody Knows This is Nowhere." For whatever reason, I picture Ron at Yamanouchi whenever I listen to the lyrics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace

Currently listening to Jim Rome interview Brock Lesnar from today's radio show...