What are you listening to? Track 3 - Page 44
Global Justice Alliance

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to? Track 3

Super Moderator Venerated Elder campy's Avatar
    With the Met season over, Lyric Opera of Go City takes over Saturday afternoons. Today it's Manon by Jules Massenet, with soprano Natalie Dessay in the title role and tenor Jonas Kaufmann as the Chevalier des Grieux.

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Currently listening to Green Day's new album, "21st Century Breakdown."

I don't know why, but the songs on this album seem "flat." It might be the way they're leaning into the mike, but their voices seem to be on the same "plane", if you will, as the instruments. The image of gray fuzz comes to mind as I listen. "Idiot" and "Holiday," by contrast, had a certain deepness and roundness to their sound - the singers seem to be fully in the foreground, with crisp, clear edges on their words. This new album just doesn't seem to have the same bass and air-fisting power as, say, "Holiday."

EDIT: I take that back, somewhat. "American Eulogy" seems to regain some of that roundness.
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Soprano Dawn Upshaw performing songs by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart on her very good if somewhat prosaically titled CD, Dawn Upshaw sings Rodgers & Hart. Current selecton: "A Ship Without a Sail" from Heads Up! (1929).

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Franz Shubert's Symphony No. 8, the Unfinished, one of my all time favorites, by the Bavarian Radio Orchestra (didn't catch the conductor), on Sirius Radio. Beethoven (and/or Mozart) was/were the greatest, but Schubert had a gift for Lieder (song) that I think surpassed even them.
    "Say the Word"

In iTunes: Night and Day: Thomas Hampson sings Cole Porter. Current selection is "Begin the Beguine."

Registered User Veteran Member Ace Ian Combat's Avatar
    I've recently started listening to Schoolyard Heroes, current selection in iTunes is All the Pretty Corpses by them. Kinda dark sounding title, but not truly.

Now it's Somebody's Watching Me by Mysto & Pizzi - y'know, that Geico commercial song with the ogling money? That's this song.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I don't want to be the one the battles always choose... but inside I realize that I'm the one confused... Breaking the Habit, by Linkin Park

On radio: Patricia Racette as Cio-Cio San and Frank Lopardo as Lt. B. F. Pinkerton in Madama Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini. Performed by the Lyric Opera of Go City.

Currently The Howling by Within Temptation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I don't want to be the one the battles always choose... but inside I realize that I'm the one confused... Breaking the Habit, by Linkin Park

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    On radio: Patricia Racette as Cio-Cio San and Frank Lopardo as Lt. B. F. Pinkerton in Madama Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini. Performed by the Lyric Opera of Go City.
    My mother sang the lead role of Madame Butterfly when she was in college. I've been listening to Sirius Radio SYmphony Hall, most recently the Beethoven Quarter No. 7, Opus 59, No 1.
    "Say the Word"

Currently Ba-Doom Ba-Doom by Sam Harris. Earlier it was Away From Me by Evanescence.