The First Ever Alliance Shippy Thread!
Global Justice Alliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The First Ever Alliance Shippy Thread!

Registered User Veteran Member Cody MacArthur Fett's Avatar

Exclamation The First Ever Alliance Captioning Thread! [PG-13]

You know, for the longest time I thought there was something missing in this board, and I think I just may have found one of them. Behold! The first ever GJA thread dedicated to shippiness! Enjoy, and have fun with it.

Shego: Do you know what this is Ron?
    Ron: Uh, a list of items including a pregnancy test, some Israeli passports, the receipts for four P90s, the plans for the Death Star's main reactor, the 'Football', and an unsigned marriage license for one Ronald Dean Stoppable and Aliza "Shego" Elizabeth O'Neill - with two 'L's . . .
    Shego: Do you know what this means?
    Ron: Not a clue, but I have a feeling it involves blackmail and forced breeding.
    Shego: Close.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Actually, Cody, I believe we've pretty much avoided shippy threads here at GJA. There's a reason for that. Don't get me wrong for I and a good number of others here are strong K/R shippers, for example. Several members here do not favor ships at all, or do not favor the standard ships. But IMHO, the reason for it is simply the contentiousness of the shipping subject.

All you have to do is look at other boards and the subject very often comes close to inciting a riot at times. So what you think is something that the board is "missing" has happened for a good reason. The members here (at least in my thinking) have all been sensitive to the subject and handled it very politely whenever it has arisen so that no undue acrimony is caused.

I'll admit it is not a subject the governing members have directly discussed, as the shipping subject as always been subdued whenever it came up, and handled very carefully. Therefore, IMHO, I think it best not to make it a direct subject for discussion, although I do appreciate your contribution in trying to bring up a new topic for discussion on the board. I will state that this is my opinion only, not that of the governing members, and if they have a different view, I welcome their comments. Nonetheless, this is a subject that needs to be handled carefully if it proceeds.
    "Say the Word"

Wow, I was just trying to have some fun. But hey, if you think one of the baselines of fandom is too "hot" a subject for anyone here . . . Well, to be blunt, that's rather boring.

AND YES! I know some of the things I discussed were PG-13! It was a joke! I wasn't being serious! I was just trying to be funny! I'll put a PG-13 disclaimer in the title if it'll make you happy, just cut loose already!

You misunderstand my point, Cody. I'm just saying that it's a subject we have to be careful in discussing, that's all. And frankly, I'm actually trying to keep people from cutting too loose with the subject, which has frequently happened in other places. There's no need to be so put out about it. I'm not attacking you.
    "Say the Word"

Well it certainly sounded like it. All I was trying to do was create a thread where people could post funny screencaps and captions - a place for people to laugh and way to inject some actual fun into this place - and when I do I get a lecture on how dangerous shipping is.

I mean, is that hard to not take something seriously and just have fun with a subject that isn't even real?

There's no problem with creating such a thread. It's only my opinion it should be avoided, and I am not going to stop it. And I think you being a little oversensitive. I wasn't trying to lecture you at all. We do have a lot of fun here, and we don't find it boring here, otherwise we wouldn't be here. But if you've been to the other boards and forums you can see how serious and threatening some people can get with a subject that is as unreal as the shipping question. I only asked that that you take some care with the subject. As you noted, it is not real, yet so many people get so incredibly worked up, angry, insulting, and flaming about it. So yes, have fun with the subject. I'm just asking everyone, not just you, to take care in discussing it.
    "Say the Word"

*sigh* There's no way I have the resources to get into a war here.

Anywho, on with the captions!

Shego: Dr. D, it's not what it looks like!
    Drakken: So, it's true then. You have been siphoning off funds to feed your obscure fetish for Russian military equipment.

Shego: No, my fetish for obscure Russian military equipment is well-known. You got it wrong, Dr. D.: AK-47s don't do a thing for me. (Credit must be given to NinjaNaco for this line.)
    Drakken: That's what you said when I found you cuddling with that Hind. Sorry Shego, but I'm not falling for that again.
    [Hey! Shego/Mi-24 is a 'ship! . . . Honest. )

Kim: RONALD DEAN STOPPABLE! You better not be ogling some other girl's ankles.

Kim: Oh, it's just a taco.
    Ron:

Nana: Kimberly, have I ever told you the story of how I won the heart of a certain Adventurer Archaeologist?
    Kim [thinking]: Oh-no, not again.

Sam: So . . . Shego, huh?
    Cam: Yep.
    [I'll leave the explanations up to the viewer on that one. ]

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    A little critique, if I may?
    Cam & Sam ("So...Shego, huh?"), Nana & Kim, and the two scenes with Kim & Ron from "Rewriting History" work - those captions are funny. The last one with Dr. D. & Shego is where you run out of gas. There's too much dialogue in it as opposed to the others, and the joke's punchline gets lost as a result. For a funny caption to work, I've found that you need to make it short & to the point.
    Hope this helps!
    (Besides, why would Shego need weapons, considering her powers? That'd be redundant - although the idea of her cuddling a Hind helicopter does seem rather amusing to a lifelong whirlybird freak like myself... )

Registered User Senior Member MrDrP's Avatar
    I'll be a wet blanket and say I hope this is the last shippy thread we have here. One of the things I've valued about this board, even back in its previous incarnation, was our ability to avoid anything that even remotely resembled a shipping war or that sought to play up innuendo in what is a kid's, despite its surprising sophistication, show.

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    A little critique, if I may?
    Cam & Sam ("So...Shego, huh?"), Nana & Kim, and the two scenes with Kim & Ron from "Rewriting History" work - those captions are funny. The last one with Dr. D. & Shego is where you run out of gas. There's too much dialogue in it as opposed to the others, and the joke's punchline gets lost as a result. For a funny caption to work, I've found that you need to make it short & to the point.
    Hope this helps!
    (Besides, why would Shego need weapons, considering her powers? That'd be redundant - although the idea of her cuddling a Hind helicopter does seem rather amusing to a lifelong whirlybird freak like myself... )
    Yes, well, that particular sequence was actually taken from the First Non-Shippy Thread on RS.net and was developed over several days, so that could explain some of the choppiness. Besides, I don't have Photoshop; believe me, if I could replace Drakken with an Mi-24 in screencaps of "Emotion Sickness" I would, but I can't so . . . :P

And thanks for the crique. I'm not quite as gut-bustingly funny as the master of screen-cap captioning, but I'm getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDrP View Post
    I'll be a wet blanket and say I hope this is the last shippy thread we have here. One of the things I've valued about this board, even back in its previous incarnation, was our ability to avoid anything that even remotely resembled a shipping war or that sought to play up innuendo in what is a kid's, despite its surprising sophistication, show.
    Hey, it's a captioning thread. It's meant to make people laugh, not premote or rag on any perticular ship. And if you don't like the innuendo . . . Well, just don't look at the thread then, no-one's making you view it, we're not that bad. (P.S. Panels copied from [link] and [link].)

Anywho, time for another caption. (Come and help guys, I can't be the only guy here who loves these.)

Kim: Alright guys, now that we're all together and bonding over a common theme maybe we can get rid of some this pent up tension in this romantic quadrangle.

Ron and Felix: Quadrangle?

Kim: Lunchmeat knows what I mean.

Ohhh! Probably shouldn't have gone there. Ah, but the temptation was just too great to play to that. Ah well, time for cleaner captions.

Felix [thinking]: Must, resist, ugre, to act like Alien Facehugger, or . . . Dr. Actula.
    Kim [thinking]: I wonder what kind of diner we're having tonight. OH! I hope it's pasta, I love pasta, it's just so delicious and stringy. I wonder what I'd have do to get pasta every night . . . Aw man, I really hope it's pasta.

Felix: Hey Ron, why is this caption in the "shippy thread"?
    Ron: I don't know, but I have a feeling it involves a contriversial movie title and an in-joke in the Halo community.
    Felix: . . . That's bizzare.
    Ron: I know.

Kim: 'Chutes! I don't care what day it is, no means no!
    'Chutes: But I haven't even greated you yet.
    Kim That's why, you're too slow!

I give colossal props to whoever can guess the references in those last three screencaps. If not . . .