Music versus Personality
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Music versus Personality

Music versus Personality

A study reported on bbc.co.uk suggests a link between the type of music a person enjoys and personality. They looked at 36,000 people internationally.
    BLUES: High self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease
    JAZZ: High self-esteem, creative, outgoing and at ease
    CLASSICAL MUSIC: High self-esteem, creative, introvert and at ease
    RAP: High self-esteem, outgoing
    OPERA: High self-esteem, creative, gentle
    COUNTRY AND WESTERN: Hardworking, outgoing
    REGGAE: High self-esteem, creative, not hardworking, outgoing, gentle and at ease
    DANCE: Creative, outgoing, not gentle
    INDIE: Low self-esteem, creative, not hard working, not gentle
    BOLLYWOOD: Creative, outgoing
    ROCK/HEAVY METAL: Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease
    CHART POP: High self-esteem, not creative, hardworking, outgoing, gentle, not at ease
    SOUL: High self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle, at ease

Source: Heriot-Watt University
    For the most part the above seems fairly accurate when I think of the music I like. But because I like multiple genres some characteristics are contradictory eg. if you compare classical and jazz one says "introvert", the other "outgoing".

Anywhoo, something to think about while you're listening to your favourite tunes....
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I've got some discs of jazz musicians playing classical music (Bach, Strauss). I wonder where they fit in? Is that music for outgoing introverts?

Registered User Veteran Member Cody MacArthur Fett's Avatar
    Uh . . . I doesn't have an "all of the above" option.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Considering I like jazz, classical, rock/heavy metal*; and chart pop, that must mean I'm one crazy mixed-up character...
    Seriously, though: I don't put much stock in this type of "personality study," because with 6 billion or so people on this planet of ours, there's always someone whose musical tastes are such that he/she doesn't fit into any of these profiles. We humans are a complex lot, emotionally; so much so that some of us defy classification. IMHO, it's just not that simple.

(*Mostly rock; I'm not much of a heavy metal fan.)

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Having been a professional musician, I enjoy all forms with few exceptions. I think the survey should apply to non-musician types, if at all. TWD is right in that it's a little too simplistic and not really scientific, but it's kind of fun.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    A [URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7598549.stm"]
    ROCK/HEAVY METAL: Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease
    CHART POP: High self-esteem, not creative, hardworking, outgoing, gentle, not at ease
    Source: Heriot-Watt University
    Neither of those (which are the music types I like, except 'heavy metal') sound like me. I think I'm a combination of the two, which would go like: creative, hardworking, gentle, not at ease, and not outgoing. I'm not sure about the self-esteem part. It depends.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I'm also a Barry Manilow fan - what does that say about my personality?
    Seriously, though: I noticed that this musical/personality quiz has no listing for personality types who enjoy Easy Listening (Manilow; Dean Martin; Bette Midler; Barbra Streisand, etc.). So how can it be a comprehensive test if it doesn't include a major category like that?
    Another reason why I don't put much stock in these quizzes....