House That Ruth Built to be razed ...
Global Justice Alliance

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: House That Ruth Built to be razed ...

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Klein Innsbruck
    Posts
    7,412

    House That Ruth Built to be razed ...

    The ballpark where I saw my first major league game, and one of the three in which I've seen the Red Sox sweep doubleheaders from the hated Yankees, has played host to its last game.

    The End of an Era.

  2. #2
    Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    8,054
    Very, Very much so.........

    But I guess there are times when progress has to march on, and this was to be the case for this grand old lady. So when does the end come?

    EDIT: and yes, although it is the Yankee's stadium..........it's still a historic place.
    "Say the Word"

  3. #3
    Registered User Exalted Member Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Very, Very much so.........

    But I guess there are times when progress has to march on, and this was to be the case for this grand old lady. So when does the end come?

    EDIT: and yes, although it is the Yankee's stadium..........it's still a historic place.
    *Arches eyebrows*

    Although, sir?

    I'd sad they're having to take it down... But I'm not sure why. Had it simply gotten too old?
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Klein Innsbruck
    Posts
    7,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Very, Very much so.........

    But I guess there are times when progress has to march on, and this was to be the case for this grand old lady. So when does the end come?

    EDIT: and yes, although it is the Yankee's stadium..........it's still a historic place.
    *Arches eyebrows*

    Although, sir?

    I'd sad they're having to take it down... But I'm not sure why. Had it simply gotten too old?
    The Wikipedia article on the new stadium should tell you more than you need or want to know, 'chutes.

  5. #5
    I'm sad. I saw my first baseball game there, and most since. (The only other stadium I've seen one at is Shey Stadium, Mets vs. Yankees.) I'm sad, and I also wish I could've seen a Red Sox vs. Yankees game, though my dad got to see one in August.

    I also wish the Yankees could have done better in their last season at this stadium...
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Klein Innsbruck
    Posts
    7,412
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    I'm sad. I saw my first baseball game there, and most since. (The only other stadium I've seen one at is Shey Stadium, Mets vs. Yankees.)
    And Shea Stadium is going to be torn down after this season as well. (Another park where I once cheered the Red Sox on to a doubleheader sweep of the Yanks. )

  7. #7
    Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    I'm sad. I saw my first baseball game there, and most since. (The only other stadium I've seen one at is Shey Stadium, Mets vs. Yankees.)
    And Shea Stadium is going to be torn down after this season as well. (Another park where I once cheered the Red Sox on to a doubleheader sweep of the Yanks. )
    Yeah, but... I'm sure there's a slight part of you that's happy to see Shea go... the part that remembers... 1986!

    ... It seems better to get rid of them now, though, then let them sit idle for years, like, oh, I dunno, some former stadiums...

    The fact that the new New York venues are being built right next door factors into their rather quick fate, though. This has also happened in other cities:
    • Boston built the TD Bankworth Garden literally nine inches away from the original Boston Garden.
    • In Chicago, US Cellular Field and the United Center were built across the street from Old Comiskey Park and Chicago Stadium, respectively.
    • In Philadelphia, the Wachovia Center was built across the street from the Spectrum; this case is unique in that the Spectrum has actually remained in use (although it is now scheduled to be closed in 2009, 12 years after its primary tenants left).
    • Turner Field, next to Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta; the parking lot retains the approximate shape of the stadium, with the spot Hank Aaron's 715th home run commemorated by a section of outfield wall and a plaque.
    • In Pittsburgh, PNC Park and Heinz Field were built on either side of Three Rivers Stadium. When I visited Pittsburgh in 2002, I actually stood in the parking lot where Three Rivers used to be.


    Of course, in some cases, the new arena is built on the site of the old one, as was the case with Philips Arena in Atlanta replacing the Omni (and displacing the Atlanta Hawks while the work took place).

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Klein Innsbruck
    Posts
    7,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    I'm sad. I saw my first baseball game there, and most since. (The only other stadium I've seen one at is Shey Stadium, Mets vs. Yankees.)
    And Shea Stadium is going to be torn down after this season as well. (Another park where I once cheered the Red Sox on to a doubleheader sweep of the Yanks. )
    Yeah, but... I'm sure there's a slight part of you that's happy to see Shea go... the part that remembers... 1986!

    ... It seems better to get rid of them now, though, then let them sit idle for years, like, oh, I dunno, some former stadiums...

    The fact that the new New York venues are being built right next door factors into their rather quick fate, though. This has also happened in other cities:
    • Boston built the TD Bankworth Garden literally nine inches away from the original Boston Garden.
    • In Chicago, US Cellular Field and the United Center were built across the street from Old Comiskey Park and Chicago Stadium, respectively.
    • In Philadelphia, the Wachovia Center was built across the street from the Spectrum; this case is unique in that the Spectrum has actually remained in use (although it is now scheduled to be closed in 2009, 12 years after its primary tenants left).
    • Turner Field, next to Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta; the parking lot retains the approximate shape of the stadium, with the spot Hank Aaron's 715th home run commemorated by a section of outfield wall and a plaque.
    • In Pittsburgh, PNC Park and Heinz Field were built on either side of Three Rivers Stadium. When I visited Pittsburgh in 2002, I actually stood in the parking lot where Three Rivers used to be.


    Of course, in some cases, the new arena is built on the site of the old one, as was the case with Philips Arena in Atlanta replacing the Omni (and displacing the Atlanta Hawks while the work took place).
    For me, 1986 wasn't so bad. I'm still a little bit of a Mets fan from my NY days.

    When I visited Pittsburgh, I went to see the old wall of Forbes Field, part of which still stands. They have a plaque for Bill Mazerowski's series-ending homer of 1960. I hear home plate is preserved under glass inside a building of University of Pittsburgh, almost exactly where it was in the park.

    Also, in Seattle the Seahawk's stadium stands right where the Kingdome was, a block or so from the Mariners' ballpark.

  9. #9
    Registered User Veteran Member Cody MacArthur Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the United States of America
    Posts
    787
    You ever get that feeling, like you have absolutely no idea what's going on? Yeah, that's the way I am now. I know absolutely nothing about organized sports; so much so that I just root for whatever team is geographically closest to my home.

    The way I see it though, it's far better for the stadium to be torn down now then to collapse later.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTeamGirl View Post
    I'm sad. I saw my first baseball game there, and most since. (The only other stadium I've seen one at is Shey Stadium, Mets vs. Yankees.)
    And Shea Stadium is going to be torn down after this season as well. (Another park where I once cheered the Red Sox on to a doubleheader sweep of the Yanks. )
    I didn't know that. Hmm...I'm sure my dad is going to want to take us to games at both new stadiums in the future. We're Yankees fans (although his dad was a Mets fan), although truthfully I don't watch much of any sport, including baseball.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •