What Reminds You of KP? #7 - Page 33
Global Justice Alliance

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: What Reminds You of KP? #7

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireand'chutes77 View Post
    EDIT: I was just comparing the "long-range combatives" section (fist strikes, kicks) with the Kim/Shego San Francisco fight in "The Big Job."

...Wow.

Someone on the animation team is a serious bad*ss.
    Absolutely, 'chutes. In fact, from a martial artist perspective, I think that particular fight scene is probably the best choreographed fight scene Shego and Kim have ever had on the entire series.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    EDIT: I was just comparing the "long-range combatives" section (fist strikes, kicks) with the Kim/Shego San Francisco fight in "The Big Job."

...Wow.

Someone on the animation team is a serious bad*ss.
    Absolutely, 'chutes. In fact, from a martial artist perspective, I think that particular fight scene is probably the best choreographed fight scene Shego and Kim have ever had on the entire series.
    Going through it frame-by-frame (), I noticed that Shego's high kick - right after Kim's punch to the gut- seemed a little short, and I'm not sure what that kicking thing did*. I don't have enough martial arts experience to tell - were punches pulled, either because it was "choreographed," or Disney wouldn't allow full contact, or were both combatants just too good? I was particularly impressed by Kim's attempted knife-hand to the side of Shego's neck. Take away Shego's blocking arm, and the screenshot and the Army manual pic line up exactly.

*There's something called a "front knee kick," designed to break your attacker's knees. Perhaps that's what that odd kick-thingy was supposed to do?

EDIT2: Watching more instances of Kim and Shego's fights (Bueno Nacho, Two to Tutor, Golden Years), it seems Shego (as might be expected) prefers slashing attacks and haymakers, while Kim - and I never noticed this before - uses a lot of knife-hand attacks and elbow jabs. Shego is wild and overpowering, while Kim..... Kim means business.

It's not until you see the same kinds of moves on KP featured in a combat book, where they're actually meant to disable/kill people, that you shift from "Wow, that's a really cool fight!" to "Holy crap, they're really trying to wreck each other! " (Another nail to the whole "Kigo" business, if you ask me.)
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Going through it frame-by-frame (), I noticed that Shego's high kick - right after Kim's punch to the gut- seemed a little short, and I'm not sure what that kicking thing did*. I don't have enough martial arts experience to tell - were punches pulled, either because it was "choreographed," or Disney wouldn't allow full contact, or were both combatants just too good? I was particularly impressed by Kim's attempted knife-hand to the side of Shego's neck. Take away Shego's blocking arm, and the screenshot and the Army manual pic line up exactly.

*There's something called a "front knee kick," designed to break your attacker's knees. Perhaps that's what that odd kick-thingy was supposed to do?
    Okay, let's take it shot by shot:

1) Shego starts the attack by rushing in with a right straight fist punch to the face. Kim evades by leaping over Shego and lands behind her.

2) Shego recovers quickly, turning around. They both rush each other. Both throw punches, Shego towards Kim's face and Kim throw an uppercut body blow. Kim evades Shego's strike but connects with a solar plexus hit on Shego, which actually drives her up into the air off her feet.

3) Shego quickly recovers and lands on her right leg bringing her left leg all the way up in a fornt kick. It's well aimed actually and Kim simply pulls back out of range of it.

4) Kim ripostes with a right knife hand strike to the neck. Shego ducks down and blocks with a left forearm block. Kim follows up with a left knife hand strike which Shego similarly blocks with her right forearm.

5) Shego then lunges with a left straight fist punch to the face. Kin pulls back out of range and also blocks wiht her right forearm, also protecting the face with her right palm.

6) Kim ripostes with a left sidekick attempt, but Shego blocks this with her right foot, preventing Kim from being able to extend the kick all the way out. Kim quickly recovers by pulling her left foot back and jumping around counter-clockwise, changin stance. As she lands on her left foot underneath her, she is whipping her right foot around in a round house kick at Shego's midsection. Shego is off balance enough that she must land on her right foot, but recovers nicely with an high instide foot block which cuts short Kim's kick before it can really gain any momentum or extension. This block, BTW, is particularly difficult to execute.

7) Shego follows through by landing on her left foot, coming around and executing a high round house kick, but misses. I believe she misjudged what Kim was going to do. She was expecting Kim to try and follow up with a third technique. Had she done so adn charged in, she would have walked right into Shego's right instep. That full force kick would have likely knocked her out. But Kim changed tactics and retreated, thus Shego overshot her aim. Kim wasn't where she thought she would be. Kim tried to take advantage of the fact Shego would require a long recovery time from that technique and responded with an axe kick of her own, trying to slash down across Shego's upraised leg and trying to knock it down, throwing her off balance, but Shego recovers too quickly to let this happen.

8) They both land on their feet, but Kim is quicker and immediately executes a powerful jump sidekick. Shego simply ducks out of the way. That kick is too powerful to try and block. Shego turns and assumes a defensive position. Before Kim lands, she whips her kicking leg around and assumes a defensive position as well, in a different stance from what would be expected after executing that kick.

9) Squaring off against each other, they both throw punches at each other's face, trying to use the techniques to slip each other's punch to pull it off track yet still connect with their own punch. Shego then steps in and tries another punch. The two them stand there and square off trading punches and blocking them before Ron interrupts them.

10) When Kim and Shego start fighting again, Shego throws another left fist punch which Kim blocks with a right knife hand block then she comes up with a hook kick, thrusting her right leg towards Shego's right side and then trying to whip her heel back across Shego's temple. Shego rears back and avoids the kick. Kim pulls her right leg back down to the ground and right punches straight towards Shego's mid-section, but Shego completely ducks it, going beneath the punch then rearing up with an uppercut to Kim's chin which she has to rear way back from to avoid being hit.

EDIT2: Watching more instances of Kim and Shego's fights (Bueno Nacho, Two to Tutor, Golden Years), it seems Shego (as might be expected) prefers slashing attacks and haymakers, while Kim - and I never noticed this before - uses a lot of knife-hand attacks and elbow jabs. Shego is wild and overpowering, while Kim..... Kim means business.

This has always been my impression too. Kim is far more disciplined in her art than Shego. Shego has raw natural talent, a great deal of it. But Kim's art is more disciplined, more skilled. This is why she wins.

It's not until you see the same kinds of moves on KP featured in a combat book, where they're actually meant to disable/kill people, that you shift from "Wow, that's a really cool fight!" to "Holy crap, they're really trying to wreck each other! " (Another nail to the whole "Kigo" business, if you ask me.)
    Oh, yeah. The leg kicks especially can be lethal if executed perfectly.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar
    I think it's kinda weird, yet awesome, how we're able to do a blow-by-blow breakdown of a Disney Channel(!) fight.

#6 - I never noticed that Kim jumped all the way around... I just thought it was the same animation repeated awkwardly twice. And I can't tell who starts that attack - it looks like they both raise their feet at once.

...And you'd never be able to tell any of this from a normal watching! I'm surprised how you're able to break down every step; I would've thought some "Rule of Cool" cartoon physics would've made some of those moves impossible. (But nothing's impossible for a.... )

If this was a "real life" fight, would the combatants suffer more contact/damage, or are all those blocks really that effective?

Riposte.... I like that word!

Kim is far more disciplined in her art than Shego. Shego has raw natural talent, a great deal of it. But Kim's art is more disciplined, more skilled. This is why she wins.
    It's so refreshing when you can expand it beyond "Good wins, duh."
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar

Shades of Motor Ed...

This afternoon I was watching CNN to catch up on the headlines. Just before a commercial break, their weatherman said, "You're watching CNN! We'll be back in a few (paused to look at his watch)...seriously.":P

Super Moderator Venerated Elder campy's Avatar
    I'm watching Dodge City on TCM. Star Errol Flynn is playing a character named Wade.

Administrator Senior Member Greenmandmz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I'm watching Dodge City on TCM. Star Errol Flynn is playing a character named Wade.
    I got a call this morning from the Duty IT to assist on a tech support call on one of the outlying units we service. On my way to the shop, with it being the weekend and all, Mr. Barkin's line from Big Brother stuck in my head:

Mr. Barkin: Home time is my time! Doubly so at bath time!

Now I wasn't taking a bath at the time I got the call, mind you (:P), but you get the idea.

After we had finished with the call, the other IT make a quick apology for calling me in on a Sunday, to which I replied, "No big."
    Gah! Quit mocking me. -AinoMinako
    [I]

Kim & Ron: Best of friends!

At work last week, we got another check from Wade Office Supply... :P

I think it's kinda weird, yet awesome, how we're able to do a blow-by-blow breakdown of a Disney Channel(!) fight.

#6 - I never noticed that Kim jumped all the way around... I just thought it was the same animation repeated awkwardly twice. And I can't tell who starts that attack - it looks like they both raise their feet at once.

...And you'd never be able to tell any of this from a normal watching! I'm surprised how you're able to break down every step; I would've thought some "Rule of Cool" cartoon physics would've made some of those moves impossible. (But nothing's impossible for a.... )

If this was a "real life" fight, would the combatants suffer more contact/damage, or are all those blocks really that effective?

Riposte.... I like that word!

Kim is far more disciplined in her art than Shego. Shego has raw natural talent, a great deal of it. But Kim's art is more disciplined, more skilled. This is why she wins.
    It's so refreshing when you can expand it beyond "Good wins, duh."
    All of the techniques depicted are real and are just as I described them. I recognize them as I am Sam Dan rank in Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan and know them. Remember that the animation is being done in Korea, and that Tae Kaon Do is their national sport, so I have no doubt that the animators are likely well trained in the art and therefore know exactly how to depict the techniques correctly in a choreaographed fight scene.
    "Say the Word"

Several things:
    On Sunday at my SF club meeting, one of my friends mentioned how he & his wife had gone to the Brookfield Zoo recently. Another friend asked if they still had the naked mole rats on display there.
    On several TV shows this past week, I heard several characters use the phrase "Booyah!" in their dialogue.
    On TV tonight, in a Hyundai ad, when discussing that car company's warranty, the announcer used the phrase, "We've got your back!" :P