What are you currently reading? Volume 3 - Page 31
Global Justice Alliance

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading? Volume 3

This morning I figured I may as well give Sean Stewart's Clone Wars novel entitled Dark Rendezvous another reading. Good stuff, just as I remembered. Mr. Stewart certainly has quite the talent for writing both Yoda and Count Dooku.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Now reading The Honor of the Queen, second novel in David Weber's series featuring starship commander Honor Harrington.

Registered User Veteran Member NinjaNaco's Avatar

Smile

I've been reading Fire in the Steppe (titled Pan Wołodyjowski in its native Poland), the Darker and Edgier final installment of Sienkiewicz's Trilogy.

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    Getting Stoned With Savages, a humorous account by a fellow and his wife that ditch high powered jobs in Washington, DC, to go work in the South Pacific. Pretty good, so far, as was his Sex Lives Of Cannibals, about life on Tarawa Atoll. After the recent Winter entertainments here, the South Pacific sounds mighty good.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    After the recent Winter entertainments here, the South Pacific sounds mighty good.
    Oh, yeah - plenty of sunshine; warm, tropical days on golden beaches - Lord, that sounds so appealing right about now....

Right now I'm rereading Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys by Gemini 10 and Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins. After I finish it, I'll start in on Torch of Freedom by David Weber and Eric Flint.
    (More Honorverse - boy, oh boy, oh boy....)

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
    After the recent Winter entertainments here, the South Pacific sounds mighty good.
    Oh, yeah - plenty of sunshine; warm, tropical days on golden beaches - Lord, that sounds so appealing right about now....
    Bali Ha'i may call you,
    Any night, any day,
    In your heart, you'll hear it call you:
    "Come away...Come away."

Bali Ha'i will whisper
    On the wind of the sea:
    "Here am I, your special island!
    Come to me, come to me!"

Your own special hopes,
    Your own special dreams,
    Bloom on the hillside
    And shine in the streams.

If you try, you'll find me
    Where the sky meets the sea.
    Here am I, your special island
    Come to me, Come to me.

~ lyric by Oscar Hammerstein II

I've taken a small break from Sherlock Holmes to read American On Purpose, Craig Ferguson's autobiography.
    "There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom. A consolation to the soul, in times of need: ALLONS-Y!"~Doctor Who

About 60 pages into David Weber's The Short Victorious War, the continuing adventures of Captain Dame Honor Harrington of the Royal Manticoran Navy.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    About 60 pages into David Weber's The Short Victorious War, the continuing adventures of Captain Dame Honor Harrington of the Royal Manticoran Navy.
    Oh, you're going to love it - trust me!
    And wait till you meet Captain Lord Pavel Young - Honor's longtime nemesis. He's a real slimeball, let me tell ya....
    Right now, I'm well into reading Torch of Freedom by Mr. Weber and Eric Flint. Looks like it's going to be a real page-turner....

Registered User Exalted Member lunchmeat's Avatar
    I'm rereading Donald Morris' Washing of the Spears, a history of the Zulu wars. Morris did most of the research and writing while serving as naval attache to SouthAfrica back in the 1950s, good read.

I'm also reading Robert Mrazek's A Dawn Like Thunder. It's about VT (Torpedo Squadron) Eight during WWII. This was the squadron that had many of it's members killed at Midway flying the obsolete TBD Devastators against the Japanese. One thing that I've learned so far is that the squadron had started taking delivery of the superior TBF/TBM (a later model built by General Motors) Avengers just prior to Midway, the new planes were at Pearl Harbor, with the balance of the squadron members, having missed the departure of the Hornet by one day. A five plane detachment did fly to Midway and made the combat debut of the aircraft, flying from the atoll, in the battle. This leads to speculative thought about the squadron's fortunes had the planes arrived in time to replace the TBDs.
    Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”