What are you currently reading? Volume 3 - Page 28
Global Justice Alliance

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading? Volume 3

Super Moderator Venerated Elder campy's Avatar
    Mating Rituals of the North American WASP, a novel by Lauren Litton.

A New York woman finds out that what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas ...

Registered User Honored Elder Fireand'chutes77's Avatar

First They Came for Zelda.....

I was highly impressed by this article by a young Venezuelan videogamer, concerning the Chavez regime's ban on "violent" video games.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/05...havez-adm.html

Given the political climate, the fact he used his entire name took some guts, not to mention the candidness of his writing.

....Most likely, not that many people will end up in jail due to the anti-gaming law. But it could easily be used to coerce, to extort and to pressure people who find themselves on the revolution's sh*t list, to make you feel powerless, like a criminal, to make you ashamed and scared.

Laws here get enforced selectively, but when the government issues so many laws criminalizing so many behaviors, sooner or later you are going to break one, so you better be well behaved and, above all, you better not criticize the powerful. If you do, they'll go through your hobbies... and when they do, they're bound to use something they can use against you.

...What we have here is just another brick in the wall, another piece of a strategy to slowly but surely build a legal wall against political dissent, even as our society goes to the dogs.

This situation is painful to behold. Even if I barely game at all these days, I am a gamer at neocortex.....

These games are a cherished part of my life, they helped to shape my young mind, they gave me challenges and vastly improved my English, opening the door to a whole new world of literature, music and people from all around the world. What I have achieved, all my research, how I have been able to travel even though I'm always broke, the hard work I've done to convince people to fund a start up for cheap biotech for developing countries and regular folks, none of that would have been possible hadn't I learned English through video games.

Now, thanks to the tiny horizons of the cast of morons who govern me, thanks to the stupidity and ham-fisted authoritarianism of the local authorities... my 7 year old brother's chances to do the same could be greatly impacted.

I used to go to game parlors and play, made friends there, speaking not only about swords and crystals, combo breakers and special attacks, but also about AI, the future and technology, about that mysterious thing called the Internet (I met a girl who tried Compuserve!) and about nuclear war.

...Yesterday I was explaining to my little brother how any computer could in theory, emulate another computer, and how that made it possible to play really old games (Older than him!) on his DS. I was explaining what a terminal window and a program were and how I converted videos to a format that his DS can understand. And he was thrilled, his eyes lit with pleasure, technology was a bridge that got us closer. If we blindly follow the copyright and video game forbidding laws, we won't be able to do this anymore, and he will stop learning as much as he could gaming and hacking, finding his way to talk to machines to get them to do what he needs.

But I won't obey. I will be an outlaw gamer, and I vow to teach him as much as I can and as much as he is willing to learn, as early as possible. I refuse to give up my rights to a government that is commanded by Vuitton clad jerks asking sacrifices from us, I refuse to stop gaming because a bunch of control freaks tell me that I will become a killer and that the wonderful games that enriched my childhood are psycho factories.

If I get fined for writing this (Article 13, promoting the use of violent videogames), so be it. If I go to jail because I carry rooms in my hard drive or in an R4 card for my brother, next time I return to the country, so be it. But I'd rather go to jail than betray the gamer culture, partially responsible for making me the person I am today.

...Now, that games have been outlawed, I am an outlaw, but there is hope. My brother is learning that sometimes being an outlaw is the right thing to do, that some laws are not fair and must be opposed and that breaking the law does not makes you a bad person.
    If this wasn't a real writer, I'd say this was something out of science fiction, out of Snow Crash - the rebels are gamers against the government, gun-running SD cards packed with Modern Warfare 2?
    Carpe Navi: Because you never know when you'll get to go boating at government expense again.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I put the "Star Wars" book aside for a while, because I'm reading something I just bought for $5.99 at Borders: "The Ultimate Illustrated History of World War II" by Donald Sommerville (Hermes House/Anness Publishing Ltd., London. Copyright 2008-2009. ISBN-13: 978-1-84681-528-7 ISBN-10: 1-84681-528-2). It's a slightly oversized book with a sort of flexible hardcover; chock-full of facts and data on the Second World War. This book has five main chapters, one each on specific phases of the European and Pacific wars, plus an introductory chapter on the causes of the war and a concluding chapter on WWII's aftermath and long-term legacy. Each chapter is split into 2-page sections that cover the war's battles and campaigns or the weapons that were used. There are also sidebar articles on various subjects, like key personalities and points of special interest. All in all, it's a detailed account of the war in chronological order with plenty of maps and illustrations - not to mention the many photographs in the book. Right now, I'm up to the section on the Allies' night bombing of Germany from 1939 to 1944.
    I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in history, the military, or World War II. It's a darned good read.

I'm starting in on the latest adventure of Police-Chief-turned-CIA-Agent Holly Barker from Stuart Woods, Hothouse Orchid.

(If Holly Barker married Steve Barkin, she could be Holly Barker-Barkin. )

Registered User Regular Member Molloy's Avatar

Post The March by E.L. Doctorow

Just began this novel about General Sherman's "March to the Sea" during the Civil War. Being born and raised in the South, the topic holds more than a passing interest for me.

Only one hundred pages in, but, so far, it is very, very fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Freedom involves being able truly to care about other people & to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. --David Foster Wallace

I've now moved on to The Wrecker, Clive Cussler's latest adventure set in early 20th century America. It features detective Isaac Bell, introduced in 2007's The Chase.

I'm currently rereading Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I always pull out that book this time of year; it's become a tradition with me. I also watch the different TV and movie versions of that classic tale I own on DVD, as well.
    (BTW, if you haven't gone to see that new CG movie of A Christmas Carol from Disney starring Jim Carrey, I suggest you do so. I highly recommend it.)

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I'm currently rereading Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I always pull out that book this time of year; it's become a tradition with me. I also watch the different TV and movie versions of that classic tale I own on DVD, as well.
    (BTW, if you haven't gone to see that new CG movie of A Christmas Carol from Disney starring Jim Carrey, I suggest you do so. I highly recommend it.)
    As do I. The graphics are incredible, a quality of workmanship to which I aspire.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    As do I. The graphics are incredible, a quality of workmanship to which I aspire.
    And it's incredible in 3-D, too.

I'm reading Prospect Park West by Amy Sohn. It's a novel about modern urban families in a trendy Brooklyn neighborhood.