Cell phone advice...
Global Justice Alliance

Thread: Cell phone advice...

Registered User Elite Member Cloud23465's Avatar

Cell phone advice...

Well my Razr Kicked the bucket... Well the screen stopped working and it's pretty hard to make a call, see who's calling, and to know how much battery life I have left. I'm staying with AT&T but i'm not going in to get a phone cause I don't wanna... well I cant get a new contract (it's complicated situation) Long story short I'm unsure of what phone to get. I'm thinking of getting the Samsung Blackjack II, Blackberry curv, or Moto Q global. Does anyone know about these phones? Right now Im leaning towards the Blackjack cause it's less expensive to get and bigger selection of colors. But it has some pretty cool features... I dont know. Any advice?

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Sorry, Cloud,

I have a Razr V3xx, but only because it has a faster transfer on GSM if I use to to connect to the internet. Other than that it's just a straight phone for me. I don't even do texting. So I had no interest in checking out phones, and I know nothing about them really. Maybe some of the younger members here could help.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I've just got a TracFone - one of those cell phones you can buy in Wal-Mart and other retailers for a low price; and you can fill it with minutes by buying minute cards - at the same store you bought the phone from, too! The minutes can be loaded into the phone by either making a phone call, or via logging on to their website, and doing it electronically.
    With minute cards, you don't need to sign a contract for service, so they can't stick it to you with hidden fees, or charge you exorbitant monthly rates, either.
    You might want to look into one of these; I only have the basic "no-frills" model, but they have phones available with the digital cameras built in too. It's all just a matter of how much you want to spend.

I know about the Motorola Q, but I can't really compare it too much with the others.

I've been told that Blackberrys in general tend to be more reliable, based partly on the fact that that's what a lot (all?) of the federal government uses. I personally know that the NIH gives all their PIs Blackberrys, though not as fancy as the curve.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    I've just got a TracFone - one of those cell phones you can buy in Wal-Mart and other retailers for a low price; and you can fill it with minutes by buying minute cards - at the same store you bought the phone from, too! The minutes can be loaded into the phone by either making a phone call, or via logging on to their website, and doing it electronically.
    With minute cards, you don't need to sign a contract for service, so they can't stick it to you with hidden fees, or charge you exorbitant monthly rates, either.
    You might want to look into one of these; I only have the basic "no-frills" model, but they have phones available with the digital cameras built in too. It's all just a matter of how much you want to spend.
    Yeah, I think I'm going to move over to prepaid. I've been spending a fortune on my plan; I never come close to using my 200 minutes/month. In March I only used 15.

Well thanks for the info... I'll update what I decide to do when i make up my mind... this could take a while...

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm going to move over to prepaid. I've been spending a fortune on my plan; I never come close to using my 200 minutes/month. In March I only used 15.
    Yeah, I put 200 minutes on my phone several months ago. I'm down to 191.4 minutes as of right now. I may buy another card before my trip to Chambanacon the end of this week, but I don't know - money's kind of tight for me at present.
    Well thanks for the info... I'll update what I decide to do when i make up my mind... this could take a while...
    Well, good luck, Cloud. Take your time - it's your money.

Well, good luck, Cloud. Take your time - it's your money.
    Hey, Thanks.
    But the Nightmare is over with. Long story short read the fine print on ALL phone deal. I went to AT&T store planning to pick up the moto-q only to see that the $100 rebate was only when you added almost $70 per month service to that phone. What a deal huh? The staff was sooooooo... friendly too. They looked like this - so after seeing all the phones i was intrested in was like this, I decided to go to Costco. Ours sells wireless phones and they had a few when we looked the day before. So I went there and found the Samsung propel. Long story short I got the new phone, car adaptor, headset and case included all for $50. Yep that's it. I did have to sign a contract but that wasnt a problem, I got the a phone i wasnt even intrested in but it has all the features i wanted, Mp3, full keyboard and a screen that work . so thats done and im good for 2 years at least.

I got the a phone i wasnt even intrested in but it has all the features i wanted, Mp3, full keyboard and a screen that work . so thats done and im good for 2 years at least.
    Congrats!

At one time I was counting the days until I could upgrade my phone... I thought being a current customer I would get a special deal -- until I found out that this whole "upgrade" thing was not so special. It's just like buying a new phone as a first time customer with a 2 year contract to boot.
    Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck31003 View Post
    ... I thought being a current customer I would get a special deal -- until I found out that this whole "upgrade" thing was not so special. It's just like buying a new phone as a first time customer with a 2 year contract to boot.
    The deals seem to be much better for people switching in from other carriers than for upgraders.

Bad for me, since if I want the phone to work at my house, which I do, I'm limited to one company.